lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by Rob Carte » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00



Here's yet another saga of woe.

It all started on June 5th in Des Moines Iowa.  I called the 888 number to
have my phone line tested to see if I could
order DSL.  It failed the test, however this was my "voice" line...I
couldn't remember the number to the line I use for my internet connection so
I had to call back.

June 6th.
    I call back and have them test my "data" line.  It passes no problem!
Yeah!  This is a Saturday, however, so I couldn't place the order right
away.  The dude on the phone tells me that he'll fax the order to the order
department.  (I don't like the sound of this...but oh well...they know what
they're doing....;)

June 8th.
    Called to verify order since I had not heard from UsWest all day.  They
could not find my order, but said they would "hunt it down" and call me
back....long story short...they didn't.  I had to call them again, now they
had no record of my last conversation (get names, numbers and extensions!)
so I had to start over.   They said someone in the ordering dept would call
be back.  fine.  (I'm beginning to get worried)

June 9th.
    Received a call from Bret in ordering (very nice guy <aren't they
all...kind of spooky>)  He asked me ?'s about my machine to make sure it met
the standards...no problem here.  I ask Bret if it will be a problem to have
my current voice line phone number moved to the dsl voice line so I won't
have to hand out a new phone number to everyone...he tells me that this
should be no problem.  June 26th is the date set for my install.   He said I
should
be contacted in a couple of days b4 the install to set a time.  cool.

June 15th.
    A friend of mine, after hearing that I'm getting dsl decides he'll sign
up also.
The gal he talks to tells him that she can't place orders for DesMoines
because they are
not set up yet for dsl.  He tells her that I'm scheduled to be installed the
26th.  She becomes confused...
he gives her my name and she say's she'll talk to me to find out what the
deal is...(like I know?).  Later that
night she leaves voice mail.  I return her call at the number she leaves.
The number is one of those 800 numbers where if you ask for "Lisa" they
laugh and tell you that 10,001 people work on this 800 number...try again.
<bastards>  They try to get me in touch with someone that it may have been
(this takes like 1/2 hour)...they find no one.  Oh well.  She must not want
to talk to me that bad.  But, now I'm like really concerned.  I also
received snail-mail notification today saying that I'm all signed up for
DSL.

June 17th.
    Bret calls.  Bad news.  He tells me that when the engineers did a
hardware test on my line it was too noisy...something about dB levels and
blah blah.  Bottomline, I can't get DSL.  I'm pissed.  Then I think to
myself, "Self, what if these dumb such and such's tested the wrong line (my
voice line)."  I pose this question to Bret.  After a silence he tells me
that indeed they tested the wrong line, but the order was cancelled so I'd
have to start over at square one.  <whoa!  now I'm way pissed!> (I'm
thinking of creating a board game called "UsWest and Ladders")   Bret
appolagised but he would have to put in a new order.  What ever.  At least
not all hope was lost.  He tells me that he's leaving uswest (smart man) and
that Rob will be taking his place and that I should hear from Rob soon about
this new order...oh and that my order will be treated with
priority..."you're only 15 days away"...ok..hey, wasn't I 15 days away at
the start of this whole mess.  Rob calls later that day and tells me that
I'm set for install on July 8th....grrrrr.

June 18th.
    Rob leaves voice mail.  Really bad news.  Turns out they did test the
right line.  Same bs about dB levels.  I'm SOL.  Order cancelled.  End of
story.

Man, Am i depressed or what?!  I guess I should add one more entry to this
saga.

June 23rd
    I call Bret back to find out exactly what about my line is bad.  I want
to know exact details.  He's out.  I wonder how long I'll have to wait to
hear from him.

What do you all think.  Is there any hope left for me? :(
Is there any possibility that I can get UsWest to fix my noisy lines?
Anyone else have a similar story?
Does anyone in Des Moines have DSL?

AHHHHHHHHH!!H!H!HH!!!!!!!!

<at least I'm using my uswest interact account to flame UsWest :P

 
 
 

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by Ben Goble, Lakewood, » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00




>Here's yet another saga of woe.

   <*snip yet yet another tale of woe*>

Quote:>What do you all think.  Is there any hope left for me? :(

 Yes, when a cable company in your area offers this service.

Quote:>Is there any possibility that I can get UsWest to fix my noisy lines?

 Perhaps, but you would need to get more info on the nature of the
 problem.  If the noise is due to a bridge tap USW could & should
 fix it.

Quote:>Anyone else have a similar story?

 USW (Denver) gave me even a worse going over than they did you
 and I, of course, have next to no hope that USW can deliver
 on their promises.  I think they have special classes to teach their
 employees how to aggravate customers - they couldn't get this bad
 without special training.  

Quote:>Does anyone in Des Moines have DSL?

>AHHHHHHHHH!!H!H!HH!!!!!!!!

   I know the feeling.

--
Ben Goble \ Lakewood, CO USA

A Stranger and Pilgrim on the Earth.

 
 
 

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by rj » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Here in Washington state, the Utilities and Trade Commision (WUTC) has
US Worst by the balls.  If I were you, I'de get on the horn to your
state agency and get them involved.  US Worst needs a BIG kick in the
ass to get them to do -anything-.  I've had ISDN installed in two
different locations by US Worst and both times I had to get WUTC
involved to get them off their ass and not schedule me 3 months out.  In
most cases noisy lines are caused are actually loaded lines (they have
coils in them to boost the voice signal, which is bad for digital
connections).  It just takes a service guy to get off his fat lazy ass,
find the coil, remove it and boom, you have clean/dry pair ready for
digital. Both of my ISDN installs were originally loaded lines.  It took
a -lot- of arm twisting to get them to unload my lines.

rj

 
 
 

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by kfi » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Do you know anyone in Iowa that has DSL from USWest yet?
IM in Rochester MN and was told that they are just setting up here now and
then they were going to St.Cloud and then on to Iowa.  Anyway I was just
wondering because I saw a news report that said they had their first 20
cities would be done by the end of June (mine was listed but isn't done yet)
and that they were starting the next 20 starting in July (Iowa was on that
list).
-Eric


>Here's yet another saga of woe.

>It all started on June 5th in Des Moines Iowa.  I called the 888 number to
>have my phone line tested to see if I could
>order DSL.  It failed the test, however this was my "voice" line...I
>couldn't remember the number to the line I use for my internet connection
so
>I had to call back.

 
 
 

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by Tom Nat » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Well, I am scheduled for installation tommrow.
I just got off the phone with !nterprise and they
insist that everything is on schedule. I should be
hearing from someone by the end of the day...
I am at work and  have been checking my answering
machine at home every 10 min.

I feel like an *ic that is just about to get a truckload shipment
of J.D. for $110.  I am very paranoid right now.  On the edge.
I just yelled at some co-workers that were talking too loud because
I might not hear my phone ring........
I will of course use an insanity plee after I go on a 2 state drug enduced
killing spree
after my installation gets bumped again....

In the 80's your local status was based upon how many nice cars you own.
In the late 90's it is how much bandwidth you can squeez into you
house.....

Is there no end??

--Sleepless in Denver......

 
 
 

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by Ric » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Man what are you going to do when they tear into your machine?
When they are trying to train the ADSL Modem and it won,t respond?
Mellow out and enjoy
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:57:34 -0600, Tom Nats


>Well, I am scheduled for installation tommrow.
>I just got off the phone with !nterprise and they
>insist that everything is on schedule. I should be
>hearing from someone by the end of the day...
>I am at work and  have been checking my answering
>machine at home every 10 min.

>I feel like an *ic that is just about to get a truckload shipment
>of J.D. for $110.  I am very paranoid right now.  On the edge.
>I just yelled at some co-workers that were talking too loud because
>I might not hear my phone ring........
>I will of course use an insanity plee after I go on a 2 state drug enduced
>killing spree
>after my installation gets bumped again....

>In the 80's your local status was based upon how many nice cars you own.
>In the late 90's it is how much bandwidth you can squeez into you
>house.....

>Is there no end??

>--Sleepless in Denver......

 
 
 

lost hope :( in Des Moines, IA

Post by Greg Wee » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00






>>Here's yet another saga of woe.

>    <*snip yet yet another tale of woe*>

>>What do you all think.  Is there any hope left for me? :(

>  Yes, when a cable company in your area offers this service.

Fat chance. TCI is still running on 25 year old coax in most of Des Moines.

Quote:>>Anyone else have a similar story?

>  USW (Denver) gave me even a worse going over than they did you
>  and I, of course, have next to no hope that USW can deliver
>  on their promises.  I think they have special classes to teach their
>  employees how to aggravate customers - they couldn't get this bad
>  without special training.  

Well, I was scheduled to be installed yesterday. I called at 10:00 am
to confirm. They said it was still on. Called again at 7:00 pm and
"we're sorry but we can't get anyone out there tonight." We'll see if
they install tonight.

Greg Weeks

 
 
 

1. HELP my friend from Des Moines (Iowa, USA) to start use modem, please

Hello,

My name is Mikhail. I live in St.-Petersburg (Russia).

I have a friend. His name is Konstantin. He is a Russian
immigrant and lives in Des Moines (Iowa, USA). I'd like to e-mail
to him my letters, news, computer programs etc.

But Konstantin isn't familiar with computers, modems etc very
well. He has a modem, but he doesn't know well, how to start work
with the modem. And I have not any good opportunity to help him -
the snail mail is a very slow thing, phones talks are too
expensive etc etc etc.

So, if you live in Des Moines (or near) and if you are able to
help us, please, e-mail me. I hope, we'll contrive anything.

Thank you.

--
  Mikhail Abakumov
St.-Petersburg, Russia

2. JMDL and IDE

3. problem with @home in Des Moines

4. Atari: The Coolest Corp Ever!

5. TCI net in Des Moines

6. Sampler sound formats

7. False rollout in Des Moines?

8. 3800 dual host vms systems?

9. credit card fraud @TCI Des moines ?

10. The Des Moines saga continues...

11. Help connecting SupraFax-Modem to NeXT - modem-manual lost :(

12. Phillips TA Multi and Lost Manual.. :(