anyone else's dsl go down since 2 weeks ago (Pac Bell)

anyone else's dsl go down since 2 weeks ago (Pac Bell)

Post by beloved2hi » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks, I'm wondering who else is having problems. My dsl stopped
working over 2 weeks ago, and I just recently found out that Pac Bell
and ASI had a problem with over 15,000 people getting dropped since
they ran out of ports.
Anyone else know about this?
Robin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Le Nguye » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:34:28

> Hi folks, I'm wondering who else is having problems. My dsl stopped
> working over 2 weeks ago, and I just recently found out that Pac Bell
> and ASI had a problem with over 15,000 people getting dropped since
> they ran out of ports.
> Anyone else know about this?
> Robin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hmmm...
I noticed that my DSL connection was working strangely: at first
connect, everything would be fine, but typically after 5 minutes
(sometimes longer), I could not get anywhere via the browser.  Pings
would fail, even pings to pacbell.net and pacbell.com.  This has been
happening perhaps for the past 2 weeks or more.  I finally noticed it
last Friday (13Oct2000) and have been monitoring the situation.  Of
course, calling the tech support line was hopeless.  I was on hold for
an hour, then dropped like a hot potato (I guess their mailbox was
full).
Finally I called 2 days ago at 4 AM (could not sleep!), and got a human
to answer!!!  She told me that the best time to call was between 2 AM
and 6 AM (right - can you see me waking up i nthe middle of the night
every time?).  Anyway, in my case, she could tell that the modem was
synching just fine, but the line bandwidth was already taken up to 95%,
hence no browsing/email/ping anything.  The earliest she could dispatch
a tech person out is this coming Monday...

Can you describe your exact symptoms?  And what happened to those 15,000
people?  They lost synch altogether?

1. DSL Slowing Down:Pac Bell

I got Pacbell ADSL early in January 2000. At the installer's suggestion,
I used http://www.toast.net/ to test the download speed. I was very
happy to see that it averaged 800-1000 kbps. I live just a few blocks
from the CO. I was also one of the "early DSL adopters" in my town, San
Luis Obispo.

Since then, it has gotten slower every week. Now, I am stuck in the
150-300 kbps range for downloads, never even getting close to the
"guaranteed" 384 kbps. Recently, I have been using the speed testing
tools at http://www.aspergantis.com/adsl/performance.htm in addition to
toast.net.

Anyone else seen this? Will (or can) Pacbell remedy this situation?

Thanks,
Mark

P.S.
In order to put some positive spin on this for Pacbell...nice ballpark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Dynamic Disk Unrecognized ??? Please Help

3. does anyone use Speakeasy or Pac Bell DSL in LA?

4. need help with shell I/O (scanf)

5. Pac Bell's New DSL Pricing

6. Looking for scanner large & small negatives

7. NT won't Connect to Pac Bell DSL

8. Postscript files view differently

9. Pac Bell, DSL, Dynamic IPA's, and a LAN

10. Pac Bell's New DSL Pricing

11. Press: "Users fault Pac Bell's DSL speed"

12. How's Pac Bell DSL