Line speed capped because of link issues

Line speed capped because of link issues

Post by Kendall P. Bulle » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:32:48

Hiya,

I've had problems since my DSL was installed 8 days ago, where I simply
couldn't connect.  It started out happening more in the evening, but
then it started happening all the time.

The line was supposed to be 1.5 Mbps up, 128 Kbps down.

The Covad second level support guy said that there were too many errors
and link kept being dropped (I think ... something along those lines ...
I didn't take great notes, sorry).  So, he capped the line at 928 Kbps.

This does seem to have worked.  The line wasn't working when he first
called, and after he did this, it's now working fine.  (I haven't redone
speed tests yet.)

So my question after all this rambling is . . . is this sort of thing
unheard of, or is it just uncommon (or, heck, is it common ;-) ???  Any
comments?

Thanks,
Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen                         http://www.his.com/~kendall/

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!

Line speed capped because of link issues

Post by Kendall P. Bulle » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 04:54:52

p.s. more information....

I called back because after I woke up a bit more, I did the math
realized that this was 2/3 my original speed, and that this was a
bummer.  I called back to find out why they didn't try something a
little higher -- 928 down from 1500 seemed drastic.

I didn't really fully understand the explanaiton; I'm not convinced the
tech understood what he was saying, either.  But the bottom line seemed
to be that they have certain fixed profiles they use, and there isn't
one between 1500 and 928 Kbps.  He didn't say why; I wonder if it's just
to simplify support for them, by just having certain rates that they
use.  Anyway, he said they're not supposed to use other rates, but he
could do it...but that if my connection's reset for any reason (for
example, If I reset my modem or lost power or whatever, I think), I
would reconnect at 928 Kbps.

Further comments?  Is this a line of bull (as poorly as I'm relaying it,
maybe it's hard to tell ;-) -- or are they just lazy -- or is this
pretty standard?

Thanks,
Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen                         http://www.his.com/~kendall/

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!

Line speed capped because of link issues

Post by the real TOMMY Tutalidg » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:14:13

This is a common tactic charge you for 1.5 mbps then cap you at 928mbps.

> Hiya,

> I've had problems since my DSL was installed 8 days ago, where I simply
> couldn't connect.  It started out happening more in the evening, but
> then it started happening all the time.

> The line was supposed to be 1.5 Mbps up, 128 Kbps down.

> The Covad second level support guy said that there were too many errors
> and link kept being dropped (I think ... something along those lines ...
> I didn't take great notes, sorry).  So, he capped the line at 928 Kbps.

> This does seem to have worked.  The line wasn't working when he first
> called, and after he did this, it's now working fine.  (I haven't redone
> speed tests yet.)

> So my question after all this rambling is . . . is this sort of thing
> unheard of, or is it just uncommon (or, heck, is it common ;-) ???  Any
> comments?

> Thanks,
> Kendall

> --
> Kendall P. Bullen                         http://www.his.com/~kendall/

> Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
> I do read the groups to which I post!

1. SNET dsl line capping issue

Hi group

I'm looking for an opinion from anyone really. I have been using SNET dsl
pretty happily for around a year now. My speeds have been excellent
(somewhere around 1536kbps) and everything was fine. I noticed some
intermittent degradation in speed in the past couple of weeks and then
yesterday and today, i've been losing sync every few minutes on the dsl
modem and disconnecting continuously. I called in a trouble ticket with SNET
and they said they'd run some tests on the phone line. I called back today
and they told me that they'd capped my line to 768kbps and that was that. I
asked to be put through to tech support and after a hold period, they guy
told me that he had to cap my line at 384kbps and couldn't do anything else
as I was running at 99-100% capacitance unless he capped my line. I told him
i'd been running superbly for a whole year and he gave me some excuse about
the warm weather stretching the cable that could cause it. He said he'd have
engineers check the line again and see if they could spot anything but if
they coudln't that there was nothing else to be done. Now I know I was
getting great speeds before and what i'm now getting is just what they
promsied me originally but it's hard to go from downloading at around
150kb/s to around 35kb/s!!! does what eh said sound fair/right? i'm not
happy but he says he can't do anything. Well how about determining what the
issue is, fixing it and letting me have my quality service back again? it's
almost like going back to dial-up speeds again.

Any ideas about what, if anything else, I could do? he said that he would
NOT uncap the line despite my request to do so. Do I have any recourse at
all?

Thanks for any suggestions. Sorry for the long post too.

--
"If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while
you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a

-Jack Handy

2. lsof compiled for hp-UX 64 bit

3. Please Help- Line Caps or Line Noise/ Efficient 5260 Modem/ SNET

4. how to get one reference for multi-entry in .bib file

5. Question about line speed performance issues...

6. DOS SYQUEST on an Indy

7. how to set the transmission speed on a asymetrical V34 leased line link

8. Selection of a statistical test

9. Bonded lines to create high speed link

10. **** CAP 2.0 Implementation issues *****

11. Verizon DSL speed setup and Speed issues

12. Terayon TeraJet TJ210-leaking caps-slow speeds, connection problems