IDSL NOISE?

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00



I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines running
into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back home to
see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound... Is
that normal for IDSL??

-Justin

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Jason Coo » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


I "think" there should be.  I remember hearing a noise on the line when I
had my IDSL installed.  The technician had a nifty little "wand" that would
emit the line noise by simply moving it near the line.  He used it when he
put a tone generator on the line to trace the distant end.  Then when he had
it wired at the MPOE, he came back in and listened.  He said there was a
definite sound to a working IDSL line.  Though I don't know if this is
something you would hear by plugging in your telephone.  I'm at work now,
but I could try plugging in my phone to the IDSL jack when I get home and
could post my results.  Was your IDSL line working prior to this?

Jason



> I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines running
> into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
> disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back home
to
> see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound... Is
> that normal for IDSL??

> -Justin



 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Well, the telephone company (USWest/Qwest) has installed the line and all,
and Covad is coming out next week... But doesn't the Telco connect the line
to the DSLAM? I figured they did because I can't see the ILEC giving Covad
access to the Central Office! Please let me know what your results are with
your IDSL line on your phone. Thanks for your help.
-Justin


> I "think" there should be.  I remember hearing a noise on the line when I
> had my IDSL installed.  The technician had a nifty little "wand" that
would
> emit the line noise by simply moving it near the line.  He used it when he
> put a tone generator on the line to trace the distant end.  Then when he
had
> it wired at the MPOE, he came back in and listened.  He said there was a
> definite sound to a working IDSL line.  Though I don't know if this is
> something you would hear by plugging in your telephone.  I'm at work now,
> but I could try plugging in my phone to the IDSL jack when I get home and
> could post my results.  Was your IDSL line working prior to this?

> Jason



> > I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines
running
> > into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
> > disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back home
> to
> > see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound... Is
> > that normal for IDSL??

> > -Justin


 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


I went outside to the DEMARC and switched the lines again to check for
noise, this time using a corded phone and not a cordless. I heard repeated
fast clicks, sorta like someone else was* up and picking up the phone
very quickly (about 2-3 clicks a second). I wonder if this is normal?
-Justin



> Well, the telephone company (USWest/Qwest) has installed the line and all,
> and Covad is coming out next week... But doesn't the Telco connect the
line
> to the DSLAM? I figured they did because I can't see the ILEC giving Covad
> access to the Central Office! Please let me know what your results are
with
> your IDSL line on your phone. Thanks for your help.
> -Justin



> > I "think" there should be.  I remember hearing a noise on the line when
I
> > had my IDSL installed.  The technician had a nifty little "wand" that
> would
> > emit the line noise by simply moving it near the line.  He used it when
he
> > put a tone generator on the line to trace the distant end.  Then when he
> had
> > it wired at the MPOE, he came back in and listened.  He said there was a
> > definite sound to a working IDSL line.  Though I don't know if this is
> > something you would hear by plugging in your telephone.  I'm at work
now,
> > but I could try plugging in my phone to the IDSL jack when I get home
and
> > could post my results.  Was your IDSL line working prior to this?

> > Jason



> > > I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines
> running
> > > into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
> > > disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back
home
> > to
> > > see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound...
Is
> > > that normal for IDSL??

> > > -Justin


 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Jason Coo » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Actually the Telco is required to give Covad access to the CO, funny thing
about deregulation :-)  I'll let you know what I hear when I get home
tonight.  About 4:45 west coast time right now, should be home around
7:00ish.

Jason



> Well, the telephone company (USWest/Qwest) has installed the line and all,
> and Covad is coming out next week... But doesn't the Telco connect the
line
> to the DSLAM? I figured they did because I can't see the ILEC giving Covad
> access to the Central Office! Please let me know what your results are
with
> your IDSL line on your phone. Thanks for your help.
> -Justin



> > I "think" there should be.  I remember hearing a noise on the line when
I
> > had my IDSL installed.  The technician had a nifty little "wand" that
> would
> > emit the line noise by simply moving it near the line.  He used it when
he
> > put a tone generator on the line to trace the distant end.  Then when he
> had
> > it wired at the MPOE, he came back in and listened.  He said there was a
> > definite sound to a working IDSL line.  Though I don't know if this is
> > something you would hear by plugging in your telephone.  I'm at work
now,
> > but I could try plugging in my phone to the IDSL jack when I get home
and
> > could post my results.  Was your IDSL line working prior to this?

> > Jason



> > > I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines
> running
> > > into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
> > > disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back
home
> > to
> > > see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound...
Is
> > > that normal for IDSL??

> > > -Justin


 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Hal Burgi » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:11:04 -0700, Robin & Justin Parker


>Well, the telephone company (USWest/Qwest) has installed the line and
>all, and Covad is coming out next week... But doesn't the Telco connect
>the line to the DSLAM? I figured they did because I can't see the ILEC
>giving Covad access to the Central Office! Please let me know what your
>results are with your IDSL line on your phone. Thanks for your help.
>-Justin


The lines belong to the telco. Covad is the CLEC, and they will likely
have their own DSLAM, and lease space from the telco for this in the CO.
And yes, this is common, and is a result of FCC regulations. Which means
they handle that part of the connection. Possibly they contract this,
but still it is their responsibility.

--
Hal B



--

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Vance Gree » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Exactly.

It's really interesting inside a CO these days with CLEC's.

Each of them have a little piece of the place (maybe 10 x 10 ft) with a few
EIA racks of gear and a gigantic UPS inside a heavily locked chain-link cage
with a big sign on it as to who it belongs to...hooked up to the cable trays
overhead.

The telco employees wandering around the place
avoid them like the plague...


> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:11:04 -0700, Robin & Justin Parker

> >Well, the telephone company (USWest/Qwest) has installed the line and
> >all, and Covad is coming out next week... But doesn't the Telco connect
> >the line to the DSLAM? I figured they did because I can't see the ILEC
> >giving Covad access to the Central Office! Please let me know what your
> >results are with your IDSL line on your phone. Thanks for your help.
> >-Justin

> The lines belong to the telco. Covad is the CLEC, and they will likely
> have their own DSLAM, and lease space from the telco for this in the CO.
> And yes, this is common, and is a result of FCC regulations. Which means
> they handle that part of the connection. Possibly they contract this,
> but still it is their responsibility.

> --
> Hal B



> --

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Phil Leonar » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00




>The telco employees wandering around the place
>avoid them like the plague...

This is a good thing. A very good thing.
 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Jason Coo » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

Justin,

    I checked by plugging my phone into the IDSL jack, it sounded like an
open line, but otherwise there was no specific noise to describe.  It wasn't
"dead", there was definitely signal there, sort of like those odd times when
a radio or TV station isn't sending any audio.  You know the signal is still
there, but it isn't making any noise.  Ok, probably didn't explain it very
well.

Good Luck,

Jason

  **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  http://www.veryComputer.com/???    |         http://www.veryComputer.com/
                                 |
* Anonymous posting server!      | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers!                 | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers!         | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server!          | * Instant access!
* * ONLY Server!             | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server!               | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server!        | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!
                                 |
  http://www.veryComputer.com/       |         http://www.veryComputer.com/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 ?      **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Hmmm.... I had one person e-mail me telling me that his ISDN line makes
clicking noises... But you said that IDSL has no audible noise... Hmmm, this
is weird.. Maybe USWest connected me wrong!!!
Any suggestions?
-Justin

Quote:>Justin,

>    I checked by plugging my phone into the IDSL jack, it sounded like an
>open line, but otherwise there was no specific noise to describe.  It
wasn't
>"dead", there was definitely signal there, sort of like those odd times
when
>a radio or TV station isn't sending any audio.  You know the signal is
still
>there, but it isn't making any noise.  Ok, probably didn't explain it very
>well.

>Good Luck,

>Jason

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Jason Coo » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00


About the only way to know for sure is to wait for the Covad guy to come out
and hook it up.  Like I said, mine just sounded like an open line, not dead
as in nothing, but an open line, no sound accept for the nearly inaudiable
background static.  The best way to describe it is to pick up up your phone,
and dail a single digit to make the dail tone go away, the sound you hear
next is what I hear when I plug my phone into my IDSL line.  BTW - I get
consistent 136-144Kbs.  Wish is was faster, but sure beats the hell out of
56K dail up.

Jason



> Hmmm.... I had one person e-mail me telling me that his ISDN line makes
> clicking noises... But you said that IDSL has no audible noise... Hmmm,
this
> is weird.. Maybe USWest connected me wrong!!!
> Any suggestions?
> -Justin

> >Justin,

> >    I checked by plugging my phone into the IDSL jack, it sounded like an
> >open line, but otherwise there was no specific noise to describe.  It
> wasn't
> >"dead", there was definitely signal there, sort of like those odd times
> when
> >a radio or TV station isn't sending any audio.  You know the signal is
> still
> >there, but it isn't making any noise.  Ok, probably didn't explain it
very
> >well.

> >Good Luck,

> >Jason

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Alan Burnstin » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00




Quote:> I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines running
> into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
> disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back home
to
> see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound... Is
> that normal for IDSL??

Mine just makes a very intermittent click.  Otherwise no noise.  The
Northpoint installers all expected to hear white noise and thought there was
something wrong at bell (turned out, there was something wrong with their
inside wiring, long story, but it's fixed now...).  Anyway, it apparently
depends on the DSLAM which sound you will hear.

Alan

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Covad came out today and installed me I'M ON IDSL YEAH!!!! He said that the
sound was normal, and i'm getting pretty good speeds... about 120-130 Kbps..
I'm satisfied!
-Justin




> > I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines
running
> > into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC I
> > disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back home
> to
> > see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a sound... Is
> > that normal for IDSL??

> Mine just makes a very intermittent click.  Otherwise no noise.  The
> Northpoint installers all expected to hear white noise and thought there
was
> something wrong at bell (turned out, there was something wrong with their
> inside wiring, long story, but it's fixed now...).  Anyway, it apparently
> depends on the DSLAM which sound you will hear.

> Alan

 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by EB » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00


On an IDSL circuit, the clicking sounds are what you should be hearing so it
is normal.  If the circuit was turned down, you wouldn't hear anything.



> I went outside to the DEMARC and switched the lines again to check for
> noise, this time using a corded phone and not a cordless. I heard repeated
> fast clicks, sorta like someone else was* up and picking up the
phone
> very quickly (about 2-3 clicks a second). I wonder if this is normal?
> -Justin



> > Well, the telephone company (USWest/Qwest) has installed the line and
all,
> > and Covad is coming out next week... But doesn't the Telco connect the
> line
> > to the DSLAM? I figured they did because I can't see the ILEC giving
Covad
> > access to the Central Office! Please let me know what your results are
> with
> > your IDSL line on your phone. Thanks for your help.
> > -Justin



> > > I "think" there should be.  I remember hearing a noise on the line
when
> I
> > > had my IDSL installed.  The technician had a nifty little "wand" that
> > would
> > > emit the line noise by simply moving it near the line.  He used it
when
> he
> > > put a tone generator on the line to trace the distant end.  Then when
he
> > had
> > > it wired at the MPOE, he came back in and listened.  He said there was
a
> > > definite sound to a working IDSL line.  Though I don't know if this is
> > > something you would hear by plugging in your telephone.  I'm at work
> now,
> > > but I could try plugging in my phone to the IDSL jack when I get home
> and
> > > could post my results.  Was your IDSL line working prior to this?

> > > Jason



> > > > I went out to the DEMARC at our apartment and looked at the lines
> > running
> > > > into my home, there are 2 one voice and one IDSL line. At the DEMARC
I
> > > > disconnected the IDSL line and connected my voiceline and went back
> home
> > > to
> > > > see if there is DSL noise on the line and it was dead, not a
sound...
> Is
> > > > that normal for IDSL??

> > > > -Justin


 
 
 

IDSL NOISE?

Post by Jason Coo » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Excellent, glad to hear it.  For a good test, try going here:

http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest.asp

At home, I consistently get 136-138Kbps.  Of course here at work I just got
1630 Kbps :-)

Good Luck,

Jason


Quote:> Covad came out today and installed me I'M ON IDSL YEAH!!!! He said that
the
> sound was normal, and i'm getting pretty good speeds... about 120-130
Kbps..
> I'm satisfied!
> -Justin

 
 
 

1. SpeedStream 5871 iDSL Router qith QWest iDSL

I have been using Firstworld iDSL service with a SpeedStream 5871 iDSL
router. Because Firstworld will stop providing DSL service I am in the
process of switching over to QWest iDSL service. To save the money for
a new DSL modem I would like to continue using my SpeedStream iDSL
router, but I have not been able to connect to QWest iDSL yet. Qwest
doesn't provide much help, because they offer the Motorola Vanguard 65
iDSL modem.

Does somebody have experience in using the SpeedStream router with
QWest iDSL?

Thanks,
Dieter Reuther

2. Cisco bug ?

3. ISDN vs IDSL...why can BA NJ limit IDSL?

4. CDROM drive on a creator 2

5. May Have a Line Noise Problem -- Is There a Line Noise Test Web Site?

6. A new issue of Retroplayers.com is out

7. Some noise, but good noise

8. File Lock

9. Router 804 idsl

10. cisco 804 - ISDN/IDSL

11. the Cisco 804 IDSL

12. Can I swap my Flowpoint 144 for Cisco804 for my IDSL connection?

13. Connecting to Company VPN using Cisco 802 router over IDSL