Losing synch only when connecting to online games.

Losing synch only when connecting to online games.

Post by DGH » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Bellsouth, Miami Shores, Florida
My new DSL connection works great for normal web surfing. However, any time
I launch Unreal Tournament or Quake3 via Gamespy, my 4060 USB modem
immediately loses synch.

If I don't use Gamespy and I launch UT directly it again loses synch as soon
as the opening flyby screen begins to play and my DSL connection terminates.
UT also gives me an error message - Critical Error, General Protection
Fault, and UT terminates. The strange thing is that the only way I can get
past the flyby screen without an error is in safe mode. (UT otherwise works
fine if my DSL connection is inactive). What gives?

With Quake3 I can at least launch the game and check internet servers. Yet,
as soon as I try to connect, I lose synch and the connection terminates.
Changing the rate to 25000 seems to have helped because once or twice I have
been successful in connecting.  Yet, the majority of times the games just
stalls, and then I lose synch.

Any suggestions?

Losing synch only when connecting to online games.

Post by tonyd.. » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Changing the rate to 25000 seems to have helped because once or twice I have
> been successful in connecting.  Yet, the majority of times the games just
> stalls, and then I lose synch.

Try setting the rate to 10000; it's more appropriate for broadband Internet *.

UT and quake 3 are really cpu/memory hogs.
If you don't have a fast computer w/ 128mb of memory and a fast video card, you may want to tone down your maxfps --> to 40 frames per sec.

The rate of 25000 is generally for single
player mode or LAN game.

Good Luck,
Tony

---
Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
visit us today -----------------------  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Losing synch only when connecting to online games.

Post by TomG » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

yes but why would the dsl modem keep loosing sync?

Quote:> > Changing the rate to 25000 seems to have helped because once or twice I
have
> > been successful in connecting.  Yet, the majority of times the games
just
> > stalls, and then I lose synch.

> Try setting the rate to 10000; it's more appropriate for broadband
Internet *.

> UT and quake 3 are really cpu/memory hogs.
> If you don't have a fast computer w/ 128mb of memory and a fast video

card, you may want to tone down your maxfps --> to 40 frames per sec.

> The rate of 25000 is generally for single
> player mode or LAN game.

> Good Luck,
> Tony

> ---
> Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
> visit us today -----------------------  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Losing synch only when connecting to online games.

Post by DGH » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

After playing around with my system I realized that the problem was not
limited just to online games, but rather, occurs anytime I change my screen
resolution.  (Quake and UT both change my screen resolution from 1280 x 960
to 800 x 600)
I called BellSouth today and the tech told me that the problem probably lies
with the Efficient 4060 USB modem drivers.  He stated that there have been
reports of conflicts between Voodoo3 cards and the USB drivers which will be
addressed by the next software release.  I will probably return the 4060 for
the 3060 PCI version.

> yes but why would the dsl modem keep loosing sync?

> > > Changing the rate to 25000 seems to have helped because once or twice
> have
> > > been successful in connecting.  Yet, the majority of times the games
> just
> > > stalls, and then I lose synch.

> > Try setting the rate to 10000; it's more appropriate for broadband
> Internet *.

> > UT and quake 3 are really cpu/memory hogs.
> > If you don't have a fast computer w/ 128mb of memory and a fast video
> card, you may want to tone down your maxfps --> to 40 frames per sec.

> > The rate of 25000 is generally for single
> > player mode or LAN game.

> > Good Luck,
> > Tony

> > ---
> > Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
> > visit us today -----------------------  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Lost packets in online gaming

I recently installed an ISDN line which, for the most part,
seems to be working well.  However, when using it for online
gaming (Quake II, flight sims through Kali), I
intermittently have a high loss.  The ping is much better
than with my modem, but the high loss creates stop/go
jerkiness.  This is not consistant; sometimes I have low
ping/low loss.  Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?
My equipment consists of a PPro 200 connected to a small (3
computer) LAN, with a Zyxel Prestige 128 ISDN router.

                        Art

2. Immediate Interview for: Java developers; Must have derivatives experience

3. FEATURE-Online Game Strategy Splits Video Game Industry

4. FTP address for Psion OPL programs

5. New Router - Can't connect to online games?

6. Publishing problems

7. Configuration Wanted for APPN via AS400 sync serial directly connected to Cisco sync serial

8. Beta ROMs and bug reporting.

9. New file available Peer 2 peer and online game blocks on pix

10. Multilinking for Online Gaming?

11. Problems with Online Gaming

12. Constant disconnects during online games

13. Best modem for online gaming?