find distance from CO to ISPs POP

Post by Jim Flag » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

What is the best way to find out what ISP POP
location will serve your CO.  The DSL service
for our Atlanta office is served by an ISP with
a closest POP in Washington DC.

Before signing up with a different ISP is it possible
to determine what POP will handle your traffic.

We are getting high latency and slow throughput
because of the distance to the POP.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Jim
Remove number from address if you must reply direct

find distance from CO to ISPs POP

Post by bpd » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have found the easiest way when shopping for ISP's is to simply ask them
the locations of all NOC's near you.  Its a standard question that any
knowledgeable sales rep should be able to answer.  Esp. if they are a
national ISP.

bpd

Quote:> What is the best way to find out what ISP POP

Post by <enormus_take_this_.. » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Try www.dslreports.com

Quote:> What is the best way to find out what ISP POP
> location will serve your CO.  The DSL service
> for our Atlanta office is served by an ISP with
> a closest POP in Washington DC.

> Before signing up with a different ISP is it possible
> to determine what POP will handle your traffic.

> We are getting high latency and slow throughput
> because of the distance to the POP.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

> --
> Jim
> Remove number from address if you must reply direct

1. X2: My local POP connects 28.8; in-state long distance POPs all 48.3!!

My local ISP (North American Internet / www.nai.net ) recently upgraded to
X2 at all of their Connecticut POPs.  They're using a SNET Frame Relay
setup and USR's "total control rack".  They have 15 POPs in CT and one
local POP on a neighboring exchange (less than 3 miles away).

All in-state long distance POPs connect between 43-48K;  my local POP only
syncs at 28.8-31.2!!  They all use the same equipment on the same network.

I'm guessing there is a difference in the way local and in-state long
distance (1-203-...) calls are routed.  All out of state POPs connect at
high rates every time.

Any ideas or suggestions out there???  Where do I start with the phone
people?  Any way to reroute local calls through the other path?

Rich Shelton
Westport, CT

2. FS: Toshiba XM-3601B CD ROM drive

3. Finding out distance to the CO

4. CALL_EXTERNAL ERROR

5. distance from CO -- how do you find out?

6. pilot money

7. How to find the true distance from the CO

8. Manual ARP table entry?

9. ISP distance to CO

10. The CO and POP locations for adsl

11. POP Distance