Covad line test reports a/c current in my dsl line.

Covad line test reports a/c current in my dsl line.

Post by Giordano Bianch » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello everybody...

I have been having problems with my new Speakeasy/Covad DSL line, maybe
someone in the NG can give me some advice.

Here is a summary:

2 weeks ago (about 1 week after install) my DSL line was downgraded from
768k to 384k because my DSL modem would loose sync every 10 min or so.
According to Covad, i was 13500ft from the CO, not ideal for 768k
service.
After running at 384k (40k/sec transfers) for about a week without
problems, Covad again downgrades me to 192 because of "errors on the
line". After that, I told the Speakeasy tech that 384k was running just
fine for me, and to please put me back.  After putting me back to 384k
though my transfer rates were still no more than 20k/sec.  So the
speakeasy tech has Covad re-provision my line to different rates to see
if it fixes it but without success.  I dared to ask the tech if it could
be something on the line (after reading about load coils, etc) and he
says that "no, we checked the line and it is clean"
Last night, the tech has me disconnect the modem from the RJ-45 jack so
that they can "run some tests on the line".

Here comes the good part!
Today I call speakeasy tech support and the tech that takes care of my
account is off.  I spoke with another tech and after looking at the
notes for my account he tells me that Covad did indeed run a test on my
line and it seems that there is "a/c current on my phone line" and "they
will have your local phone company (Bellsouth) check the line.

Does this make any sense? I have never heard of "a/c in the
line"...could they be referring to interference on the line? could  a
power cable running near the phone cable be an issue with my dsl
service? And first of all, WHY THE HELL THEY DIDN'T CHECK THIS BEFORE??

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Giordy

Covad line test reports a/c current in my dsl line.

Post by dsl4m » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The AC on the line should have been noticed right away, as it
is easily identified. As well, the distance should have been identified
as an issue beofre install.
The AC can be any where from the NID (where the ILEC dropped
 the line to your house) to the CO.  This includes house
to the first B-Box, B-Box to next B-box on so on.

It will probably take an MPOE meet between the ILEC
& Covad to resolve.

> Hello everybody...

> I have been having problems with my new Speakeasy/Covad DSL line, maybe
> someone in the NG can give me some advice.

> Here is a summary:

> 2 weeks ago (about 1 week after install) my DSL line was downgraded from
> 768k to 384k because my DSL modem would loose sync every 10 min or so.
> According to Covad, i was 13500ft from the CO, not ideal for 768k
> service.
> After running at 384k (40k/sec transfers) for about a week without
> problems, Covad again downgrades me to 192 because of "errors on the
> line". After that, I told the Speakeasy tech that 384k was running just
> fine for me, and to please put me back.  After putting me back to 384k
> though my transfer rates were still no more than 20k/sec.  So the
> speakeasy tech has Covad re-provision my line to different rates to see
> if it fixes it but without success.  I dared to ask the tech if it could
> be something on the line (after reading about load coils, etc) and he
> says that "no, we checked the line and it is clean"
> Last night, the tech has me disconnect the modem from the RJ-45 jack so
> that they can "run some tests on the line".

> Here comes the good part!
> Today I call speakeasy tech support and the tech that takes care of my
> account is off.  I spoke with another tech and after looking at the
> notes for my account he tells me that Covad did indeed run a test on my
> line and it seems that there is "a/c current on my phone line" and "they
> will have your local phone company (Bellsouth) check the line.

> Does this make any sense? I have never heard of "a/c in the
> line"...could they be referring to interference on the line? could  a
> power cable running near the phone cable be an issue with my dsl
> service? And first of all, WHY THE HELL THEY DIDN'T CHECK THIS BEFORE??

> Any suggestions are appreciated.

> Giordy

---
Posted from dslreports.com... ISP reviews, PC security scans and more.

Covad line test reports a/c current in my dsl line.

Post by David Geesama » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Does this make any sense? I have never heard of "a/c in the
> line"...could they be referring to interference on the line? could  a
> power cable running near the phone cable be an issue with my dsl
> service? And first of all, WHY THE HELL THEY DIDN'T CHECK THIS BEFORE??

> Any suggestions are appreciated.

        I'm no electrician, but I do know that another wire running alongside of the
line will create some electrical noise.  If it's an A/C power line, I would
expect it to appear as small amounts of a/c current in your line.  A badly
grounded circuit could be the cause, but don't quote me on that.
        Anyhow, pray that the cause is easily correctable, or just pay attention to
when your neighbor runs their hair dryer :)

        Dave

Post by me4ds » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The AC on the line should have been noticed right away.
Harris tests reports on this.
The AC can be any where from the NID (where the ILEC dropped
 the line to your house) to the CO.  This includes house
to the first B-Box, B-Box to next B-box on so on.
The AC was probably there for  a while and was just never
'noticed', however easily identified.

It will probably take an MPOE meet between the ILEC
& Covad to resolve, so each part of the line is checked.

> Hello everybody...

> I have been having problems with my new Speakeasy/Covad DSL line, maybe
> someone in the NG can give me some advice.

> Here is a summary:

> 2 weeks ago (about 1 week after install) my DSL line was downgraded from
> 768k to 384k because my DSL modem would loose sync every 10 min or so.
> According to Covad, i was 13500ft from the CO, not ideal for 768k
> service.
> After running at 384k (40k/sec transfers) for about a week without
> problems, Covad again downgrades me to 192 because of "errors on the
> line". After that, I told the Speakeasy tech that 384k was running just
> fine for me, and to please put me back.  After putting me back to 384k
> though my transfer rates were still no more than 20k/sec.  So the
> speakeasy tech has Covad re-provision my line to different rates to see
> if it fixes it but without success.  I dared to ask the tech if it could
> be something on the line (after reading about load coils, etc) and he
> says that "no, we checked the line and it is clean"
> Last night, the tech has me disconnect the modem from the RJ-45 jack so
> that they can "run some tests on the line".

> Here comes the good part!
> Today I call speakeasy tech support and the tech that takes care of my
> account is off.  I spoke with another tech and after looking at the
> notes for my account he tells me that Covad did indeed run a test on my
> line and it seems that there is "a/c current on my phone line" and "they
> will have your local phone company (Bellsouth) check the line.

> Does this make any sense? I have never heard of "a/c in the
> line"...could they be referring to interference on the line? could  a
> power cable running near the phone cable be an issue with my dsl
> service? And first of all, WHY THE HELL THEY DIDN'T CHECK THIS BEFORE??

> Any suggestions are appreciated.

> Giordy

---
Posted from dslreports.com... DSL marketplace, ISP reviews and more.

1. Speakeasy/Covad DSL Set-up Problems: Change Voice Line to DSL?

Here's the latest in my on-going pursuit of DSL.  After US West came to my
house to prep a line for Covad DSL, Speakeasy told me I had a line available,
but that it had load coils on it.  I asked them for more detailed information,
and it turns out they were mistaken.  There are no load coils; instead, I
don't have a free copper pair for a new line.

Here's where it gets confusing.  I already have two voice lines, one of which
I'd gladly have changed over to DSL-only.  But Speakeasy says if I drop voice
service on the line, US West will probably re-allocate the circuit before they
can set it up for DSL.  But this doesn't make sense to me.  If all I need is a
free pair of copper to the CO, won't that still be around even if I drop US
West voice service from the line?  What is the "circuit" that US West will
re-allocate?  I'd sure rather not have US West trench me a new line, as
Speakeasy is recommending, if I can use an existing one.

Also, I did manage to have US West run a remote line test of both voice lines.
Though I'm only about 14,000 feet from the CO, each line is made up of two
wire segments--one 24 gauge and one 26 gauge.  They say this prevents DSL from
functioning.  I asked Speakeasy if Covad could run DSL over this quality of
line, and the answer was yes.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my situation.

 Pacific Lutheran University        | WWW   -  http://www.plu.edu/~folsomke
 Tacoma, Washington                 | PGP   -  <homepage>/pgp.txt

2. CMC AND THE HUMAN FACTOR

3. x2, Testing your phone lines (above the USR Line Test)

4. Voice response system info wanted

5. ?? Alternate CPE Equipment with a Covad Line for ADSL line ??

6. Help please: error message "Unknown HTTP Server type 'msiis'

7. Change DSL ISP's Two phone lines Covad says yes then NO

8. Advance Program, MOBICOM'96

9. Additional BA telco charges on second "DSL-only" Covad line

10. X2 Line Test reports X2 capable but can't connect to ISP above 28.8

11. X2 - My line failed USR Line Test..

12. May Have a Line Noise Problem -- Is There a Line Noise Test Web Site?

13. Test Lines (was 0020 Suffix lines)