Cascading another router behind Netopia R7200

Cascading another router behind Netopia R7200

Post by Miguel Cr » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

We're now the proud owner of a Netopia R7200. Problem is, it's acting as a
router for our /29 and I don't want it to. Instead, I want it to pass
traffic on to our internal router. But the ISP won't run it as a bridge.
Also, we don't have the password for it.

The manual says it talks RIP and I've tried sending it RIP static host
routes for each of the inside machines all night but nothing makes it
through.

Has anyone dealt with this, and if so, how?

Thanks.

miguel

Cascading another router behind Netopia R7200

Post by jonathanv.. » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hm, which did you get the router from?  Ironically, as I write
this, there's a banner ad for Rhythms DSL; they were one company
that provides an R7200, but they don't give you the password, and they
disable some functionality (like VPN).  I wouldn't be surprised if
this is something else that some companies would disable.  Have you
tried Netopia support?  They could at least tell you what you should be
able to do, and if something's been disabled.

Quote:

> We're now the proud owner of a Netopia R7200. Problem is, it's acting as a
> router for our /29 and I don't want it to. Instead, I want it to pass
> traffic on to our internal router. But the ISP won't run it as a bridge.
> Also, we don't have the password for it.

> The manual says it talks RIP and I've tried sending it RIP static host
> routes for each of the inside machines all night but nothing makes it
> through.

> Has anyone dealt with this, and if so, how?

> Thanks.

> miguel

---
Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
visit us today -----------------------  http://www.DSLreports.com

Post by ab.. » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> We're now the proud owner of a Netopia R7200. Problem is, it's acting as a
> router for our /29 and I don't want it to. Instead, I want it to pass
> traffic on to our internal router. But the ISP won't run it as a bridge.
> Also, we don't have the password for it.

You need the password.  As I told they Rhythms guys when they were at
my place, "You are not leaving until I have the password."  Once you
have that you can save its current confirguation and then try getting
it to do what you need, plus you'll be able to restore it to the old
configuration any time you need to, etc.

Quote:> The manual says it talks RIP and I've tried sending it RIP static host
> routes for each of the inside machines all night but nothing makes it
> through.

I think (can't look right now as I've offed all access to it except via
the console port) you have to flip that on in the router first.

Billy Y..

Cascading another router behind Netopia R7200

Post by bongis » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have the same router and no pass.. I need like hell to forward a couple of
ports to my lan ip.  If anyone knows what the default pass is to the web
based management it would be greatly appreciated

Quote:

> We're now the proud owner of a Netopia R7200. Problem is, it's acting as a
> router for our /29 and I don't want it to. Instead, I want it to pass
> traffic on to our internal router. But the ISP won't run it as a bridge.
> Also, we don't have the password for it.

> The manual says it talks RIP and I've tried sending it RIP static host
> routes for each of the inside machines all night but nothing makes it
> through.

> Has anyone dealt with this, and if so, how?

> Thanks.

> miguel

Cascading another router behind Netopia R7200

Post by Jason C Pec » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

The netopia itself supports setting up static routes so you should be able
to set up a static route from the subnet of the netopia to your internal
router like you are trying to do. You may also have to mess with the
firewall filters as well. You will need the password for the netopia though.
Most isp's set the username and password to the default e-mail account name
and password but that is not a given. Try to telnet into the netopia and try
that.

Jason C Peck

Post by ab.. » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I have the same router and no pass.. I need like hell to forward a couple of
> ports to my lan ip.  If anyone knows what the default pass is to the web
> based management it would be greatly appreciated

  The default is no password at all.  If yours is asking for a username
  and password that's because someone purposefully set it up to do so...

  Also the management is vt100 (character cell terminal) based.

Billy Y..

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I have the same router and no pass.. I need like hell to forward a couple of
> ports to my lan ip.  If anyone knows what the default pass is to the web
> based management it would be greatly appreciated

I don't know whether this is ISP-specific or not, but today when I was
trying to get the password out of our ISP (turns out nobody knew what it
was) they suggested using 'admin' and 'admin', 'admin' and the serial
number, and other similar combinations.

None of them worked, though. Then we learned that if you stick a tiny little
screwdriver in the hole near the label in the center of the bottom, it will
reset itself. This means no password, but it also means you have to re-enter
all the settings. You will probably need your ISP's help on this as some of
them may be things that you have no way of finding out (such as the IP
address of the WAN side of the router).

Good luck.

miguel

1. Help Configuring Netopia R7200 as Broadband Router

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me...I recently cancelled SDSL service with
Covad and started afresh with Earthlink DSL (shared line DSL).

I still have the Netopia R7200 that came with Covad, but Earthlink
uses it's own DSL modem with only one Ethernet connection. I want to
configure the Netopia R7200 for NAT so that I can share the DSL line
with my PC, Mac and also use the R7200 as a hub (for my printers).

I've already reset the Netopia (it was password protected
before)...and I can change settings in it, but I don't know what to
enter for the values.

If anyone has done this before, can you walk me through the process?

Do I need to know the Gateway Address, domain, and Primary, Secondary
DNS addresses for Earthlink?

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

2. Homemade Rug Warrior?

3. Netopia R7200 DSL router + Mrtg

4. midiplayer?

5. Netopia r7200 Port Mapping

6. fMSX on Linux

7. Bridging on a Netopia R7200-T

8. Netopia R7200

9. Netopia R7200 needs to be restarted to regain connection?

10. HELP - NO DOMAIN CONTROLLER FOUND BEHIND NETOPIA ROUTER

11. Client behind Linksys Router/FTP Server behind PIX