Distance issue with Covad

Post by Beverl » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

I was THAT close to having DSL -- the DSL modem was installed and the
Covad guy seemed quite happy.  But then he clouded up.  The
Speedstream's little light was flashing.  He called the office, got the
diagnosis that I was 14,400 from the CO, and then informed me that my
hopes for DSL were dead.

So how much give is there in getting DSL around this distance, say if I
try another provider, a different Covad tech, or hassle Pac Bell for a
cleaner line (although Covad said the line was clean.)?

BTW, the Covad folks I've dealt with all give a different story on the
subject of the distance they will provide to.  Answers have ranged from
9,000 to 15,000 feet.

In mourning,
Beverly

Distance issue with Covad

Post by Jimmy Che » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> So how much give is there in getting DSL around this distance, say if I
> try another provider, a different Covad tech, or hassle Pac Bell for a
> cleaner line (although Covad said the line was clean.)?

Different provider uses different equipement at the CO, so its worth a shot.
Covad only services up to 15,000 in general. However, everything is related to
the line. In my case I am 16,300 and I am on Covad's 384/128 service.

Quote:> BTW, the Covad folks I've dealt with all give a different story on the
> subject of the distance they will provide to.  Answers have ranged from
> 9,000 to 15,000 feet.

Their logical limit is 12,000 for 786, 15,000 for everything else. I would
suggest you check dslreports.com and ind out which DSL provider can service
you with your loop requirement.

jc

Distance issue with Covad

Post by Elli » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

> I was THAT close to having DSL -- the DSL modem was installed and the
> Covad guy seemed quite happy.  But then he clouded up.  The
> Speedstream's little light was flashing.  He called the office, got the
> diagnosis that I was 14,400 from the CO, and then informed me that my
> hopes for DSL were dead.

> So how much give is there in getting DSL around this distance, say if I
> try another provider, a different Covad tech, or hassle Pac Bell for a
> cleaner line (although Covad said the line was clean.)?

> BTW, the Covad folks I've dealt with all give a different story on the
> subject of the distance they will provide to.  Answers have ranged from
> 9,000 to 15,000 feet.

> In mourning, Beverly

Why not try PacBell as your DSL ISP; $39.95/mo with free install
and free equipment for 1 yr. Then just one company to deal with.
You can always switch after a year if you don't like them.

http://www.pacbell.com/DSL/

PacBell claims to work up to 3 miles or a little more; try
clicking on 'order now' to find out if you are in range.
[you can always cancel]. If your line is questionable,
and yours will be, they give 5 days to send a tech out
to test the line.

PacBell might be willing to find a clean pair, if you go
with them. Their motivation to do this is much lower,
than for a competitor.

Ellis

Distance issue with Covad

Post by Jason Wagne » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

: Why not try PacBell as your DSL ISP; $39.95/mo with free install
: and free equipment for 1 yr. Then just one company to deal with.
: You can always switch after a year if you don't like them.

: http://www.pacbell.com/DSL/

when i called pacbell they referred me to a list of 6 dsl reseller
partners... i'm not dealing with one company here...

Distance issue with Covad

Post by <quietth.. » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Jimmy's answer is right on the mark.  I Work on the COVAD/Pac Bell loop
desk. The limits are because COVAD isn't willing to give you a loop they
cannot be sure of the speed on.

For ADSL the limit is 10,600 ft
anything above 15,000 (2.8 miles) and COVAD will not gaurentee SDSL.
for greater lengths there is IDSL(144) that can go up to 7.5 miles
from my chart the SDSL limits are:
1.1  12 Kft
768  13 Kft
384  15 Kft
192  15 Kft

> > So how much give is there in getting DSL around this distance, say if I
> > try another provider, a different Covad tech, or hassle Pac Bell for a
> > cleaner line (although Covad said the line was clean.)?

> Different provider uses different equipement at the CO, so its worth a
shot.
> Covad only services up to 15,000 in general. However, everything is
related to
> the line. In my case I am 16,300 and I am on Covad's 384/128 service.

> > BTW, the Covad folks I've dealt with all give a different story on the
> > subject of the distance they will provide to.  Answers have ranged from
> > 9,000 to 15,000 feet.

> Their logical limit is 12,000 for 786, 15,000 for everything else. I
would
> suggest you check dslreports.com and ind out which DSL provider can
service
> you with your loop requirement.

> jc

1. Distance variation? (Covad/Verizon)

I've been a more-or-less happy Speakeasy customer for 2 years now at my
current location but am in the process of moving.  One of the things I
checked about my new apartment was CO distance and it was estimated at 14000
ft.  Afterwards, however my order was cancelled due to a loop length of
about 20000 feet.  The tech led me to believe that this distance could vary
depending on the copper loops available at any particular time, does any one
have any thoughts on how often this actually happens?  How often will Covad
actually recheck distance if I place a new order? (ie, if in 2 weeks I place
another order, will they just bounce me, or will they actually run the whole
order again)  Also, the tech told me that Verizon won't do IDSL installs any
more over 18000 feet.  I thought the principal advantage of IDSL was that it
was available out past like 25000, is this just Verizon being a pain?

Thanks for any responses.

--

..ooOO http://www.chiappa.net/~chris/ | of my employer          OOoo..

2. Windows 2000 Executive STATUS error message

3. Covad/DSL distance

4. palm pro & mac g3 laptop

5. Confusion over Central Office issues (Covad / Verizon)

6. Prudential VP: One third Failure Rate

7. Is inter-state US long distance, distance sensitive for monthly invoices?

8. Properties

9. ISDN long distance vs regular long distance??

10. Staff Manager's Issues Report on Privacy Issues Related to Whois

11. not a cable modem issue but rather primary ID issue with ATTBI

12. Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

13. Proposed Resolution to LLMNR Issue 37: Conflict Detection Issues