HELP! Long Delay reaching USWest.net POP server

HELP! Long Delay reaching USWest.net POP server

Post by Tige Richardso » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I am a USWest.net Megabit customer.  I recently had my uswest.net account
converted from bridge mode to PPP.  After the conversion I have had *very*
long delay periods when logging into the POP3 server to retrieve my e-mail.
My account is configured for "pop.dnvr.uswest.net" for both my POP and SMTP
server.  I ran a traceroute to host IP 206.196.128.3 below.  As you can see
I am experiencing about a 1 minute round-trip delay while getting to the
server.

I do have two home PCs on this LAN and am running NAT on the router.  Here
is the IP address allocation:

10.0.0.1    Router of course
10.0.0.2    PC #1
10.0.0.3    PC #2

Other than the POP problem my connection works flawlessly.  Any suggestions
on how to fix this?  It is an extremely long time to wait for this type of
connection.  Previously (in bridge mode) checking e-mail for all accounts
took less than 1 second.....I am not sure if it is something to do with the
router config, my network settings, or something on USWest's end...

Your advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Tige

==============================

--- looking up host pop.dnvr.uswest.net
--- traceroute to pop.dnvr.uswest.net [206.196.128.3],
    30 hops max, 18 byte packets

  1  [       10.0.0.1]  10.0.0.1  1 ms
  2.  *
  3.  *
  4  [  206.196.128.3]  pop.dnvr.uswest.net  27 ms

--- traceroute statistics for pop.dnvr.uswest.net
    4 packets transmitted, 2 received
    round-trip time (ms) min 1, avg 14, max 27

1. Uswest.net web cache server...other ISP's doing this too?

US West.net has recently implemented some sort of web cache server/proxy
in Des Moines, Iowa.  All my HTTP requests are now proxied through it.
For various reasons...it sucks.  Is this becoming real common?  Any body
else running into this?  US West.net refuses to make this "feature" an
option so I'm looking at alternative ISP's (so far, none use a web cache
but it's such a pain in the ass to change ISP's).  I pay them ~$430 a
month for this 1M/1M "business" Internet connection.  What would make
them think I want them screwing with my http requests/traffic?

--== To reply, remove the obvious ==--
Matt Hellman
Information Systems
Electrical Engineering & Equipment
515-282-0431

2. Xerox AA-1 drivers

3. Uswest.net and MS Proxy Server

4. When will we start seeing 386 Palmtops?

5. Help please: CUSeeMe through Cisco 675 using USWest.net

6. Excerpt from Risks 9.90 - AppleLink Bug

7. Good help page for Uswest.net dsl

8. Booch Method

9. X2: My local POP connects 28.8; in-state long distance POPs all 48.3!!

10. Anyone experiencing probs with uswest.net today?

11. 256k upgraded to 512k+ saved $2 a month sitched to USWEST.NET

12. long initial delays accessing net