SMB protocol specification

Post by Allan Pa » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm searching for SMB protocol specification. Does anybody know if such is
available somewhere (preferably from Internet)? One alternative is to read
samba source but that could be very timeconsuming and not very comfortable
way.
So, can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Allan

Post by Regis Duchesn » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I'm searching for SMB protocol specification. Does anybody know if such is
> available somewhere (preferably from Internet)?

At least RFC 1001 and 1002

--
Regis "HPReg" DUCHESNE - Engineering Student at ***** ******** *****
        www              http://www.via.ecp.fr/~regis/

SMB protocol specification

Post by Frank Varnav » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Look in the samba web pages at
http://samba.anu.edu.au/cifs/docs/what-is-smb.html

: > I'm searching for SMB protocol specification. Does anybody know if such is
: > available somewhere (preferably from Internet)?
: At least RFC 1001 and 1002

: --

Post by Guy Harr » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I'm searching for SMB protocol specification. Does anybody know if such is
>available somewhere (preferably from Internet)?

Quote:>At least RFC 1001 and 1002

At least, but definitely not at most.  Those tell you how NetBIOS can be
implemented atop TCP and UDP; they don't tell you how SMB is implemented
atop NetBIOS.

For specs on SMB/CIFS, if you have Internet FTP access, see:

  ftp://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-heizer-cifs-v1-spe...

for an Internet draft spec for CIFS (the new name for SMB), and:

        http://www.microsoft.com/intdev/cifs/

for various older SMB specifications (some of which have stuff not in
the CIFS draft) and specifications for protocols that go along with SMB.
(NOTE: some of them are Microsoft Word documents.)

1. SMB Protocol Specification

I have been trying to find a document/manual/book - anything that describes
the SMB protocol.  I want something that describes the packet structure of
each command, both request and reply.  I learned to write C by writing a
program to interpret the packets that 'fly' around a network.  TCP/UDP/IP
... packet structures were easy to find.  Its this proprietary stuff that's
throwing me for a loop.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,
David

2. FS: Exabyte 8500

3. SMB Protocol Specifications

4. paralell zip-drive

5. Specification of SMB protocol?

6. Infozip update

7. SMB Specification ("Domain" Part of the protocol)

8. multiple interfaces, one object

9. Where can I find the specification of RS232 Protocol ??

10. X/Open SMB specification - price etc.

11. SMB Protocall Specification?...where to get?