SMB, WIN95 and MTU !!

Post by Ian Harpe » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a way of increasing throughtput to a SAMBA drive, we
are trying to set up a secondary server to show how great Linux is and how
stable/invisible to teh user it is but there appears to be a speed problem
compared to an NT server.

We thought it may be something to do with MTU's but are unsure of where to
modify and what value to modify to. Any help would be welcome.

Ian Harper

1. DSL / MTU configuration::: Oh wise forum, guide me!!!

I found the following article on this website...

http://isaserver.org/tutorials/ISA_Server_2000_and_DSL_by_
David_Fosbenner.html

In my situation I have a router performing PPPoE for me
(an efficient networks or linksys in most situations)

Here's the setup:

Static IP

DSL Router

External NIC

Small Business Server (ISA Server)

Interal NIC

Win2k and WinXP Clients

My question is on what machines or server does the MTU
need changed. From the server and the client i can ping -
f -l 1464 for a reply so I assume the MTU size needs to
be 1492. But just on client computers or also on the
server. And on one or both nics on the server (it is SBS
so it also has Exchange if that matters)

Please advise as I occasionally have SMTP problems and
want to firm up a process for installing in DSL
situations. THANKS SO MUCH!

2. EMPLANT CHEAP!!!!

3. dsl and mtu::: sniff

4. Programmatic control the networking components

5. Does anyone know about MTU?

6. 35 mm slide scanner again

7. How do I change the PPPoE MTU size, required by my ISP, in Windows XP?

8. Netprinter problem for Win95 with samba/SMB network

9. SMB flood from Win95/98 clients

10. Win95 Programmatic File Access over SMB

11. wins win95 smb & fct_winsd

12. Win95 accessing SMB server with port other than 139