Samba don't work!!

Post by Francisco Monteagud » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello. I have a Linux box working as a Samba server on a Win95 network,
and I have some troubles related with nmbd process.

First, I can't resolve NetBios names correctly. When I execute nmblookup
to resolve some name, it answers with a "name_query failed" error.

Second, Windows machines can't validate passwords over Linux box. When a
Win95 box goes up and asks for an username, it answer that it can found
a server where validate the password.

Third, Windows network browse windows can't see Linux box. When you
browse the network from one Win95 box, Linux box don't appear on this
list.

Obiusly, I read all the docs that come with Samba, and I configure the
Linux box to work as a wins server, enable the master browser options,

This is a copy of my smb.conf file (global section only):

[global]
   security = user
   protocol = NT1
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   socket address = 10.0.0.254
   encrypt passwords = no
   wins support = yes
   domain logons = yes
   domain master = yes
   domain sid = S-1-5-21-123-456-789-123
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 33
   logon  script = %U.bat
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   server string = Servidor SMB de Vesatec
   hosts allow = 10.0.
   browseable = yes
   browse list = yes
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   workgroup = OLIMPO
   interfaces = 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0
   dead time = 10
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
   load printers = yes
   guest account = ftp
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes

The IP address of the server is: 10.0.0.254, and the netmask at the
network is 255.255.255.0

Any ideas?

Thanks,
        Francisco.