Problem with browsing/connect to Samba

Post by Terry Ro » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 01:01:21

I have a problem browsing/connecting
to Samba 2.2.2 on RedHat 7.1 from a
W2K client.

Tests 1 through 6 in DIAGNOSIS.txt
are successful.

Test 7 fails:
C:\>net view \\Sambaserver
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

C:\>net view \\Sambaserver.fully.qualified.domain.com
Shared resources at \\Sambaserver.fully.qualified.domain.com

Samba 2.2.2

Share name   Type         Used as  Comment

---
tmp          Disk                  tmp directory
troe         Disk                  Home Directories
The command completed successfully.

C:\>

The same thing happens on Test 8.

The same thing happens when browsing
the network from my W2K client.  I see
my Samba server listed, but if I
try to open it, I get an error dialog
that

" \\Sambaserver is not accessible.
  The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

If I use the fully qualified domain name, I
can browse and mount shares.

Our Windows network is all W2K.  There is no WINS
server.  My Samba server was added to the domain and
is authenticating passwords with the W2K domain
controller.

smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   security = DOMAIN
   encrypt passwords = Yes
   password server = *
   hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx. 127.
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
[tmp]
   comment = tmp directory
   path = /tmp
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

Does it do this because I don't have a WINS server?
Why does a fully qualified domain work and not the
host name?  Is this a W2K problem?  Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
Terry

1. Browsing or connecting from NT4.0 problems

Any help would be great!

I'm on a network with three NT Servers - two are running 3.51
and one is running 4.0.  I can connect to the Samba server
(samba-1.9.16p9) from the two 3.51 servers.  As well, I can
browse or connect via network neighborhood through any
of the 20+ Win95 hosts on the network.  I CANNOT browse
or connect from the NT4.0 sever or any of the NT4.0
workstations on the network.  All of the mentioned machines
are in one domain with no subnetting.

What's up with NT4.0???

Thanks,

Victor Granic

2. My System is freaking out!!

3. Samba: Can connect to OS5.05, but can't browse it in Explorer

4. SBS Fax notification

5. Unable to Browse or Connect From Win98 to Samba 2.0.3

6. Help to convert C function to VO

7. STOP Samba from being a browse list master / backup browse list

8. Multiple forms

9. Browsing: Samba server not always in browse list

10. Browse master, browse list, but no response to browse requests?

11. Mail Problem: Connected=okay, not connected=lost

12. Fix for samba and Win95 browse problem

13. SAMBA Browsing Problem