printer drivers doubts

Post by Antoni Math » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:33:05

Hi,

I pretend to make a linux box to act as a printer server for some
windows98 boxes, using Samba.
Now I have the printer shared from one of the windows98 boxes. The
other windows98 have the drivers installed. All the stuff is now
working ok.

The linux box does not actually print and I don't need to change that.
I mean that I need linux to act just like server, no jobs of its own
will need to be printed.

An here is my question: what is the minimum software I must install in
the linux box?

Any help will be apreciated.

                 Antoni Matheu

printer drivers doubts

Post by Rob MacGrego » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:34:01

> Hi,

> I pretend to make a linux box to act as a printer server for some
> windows98 boxes, using Samba.
> Now I have the printer shared from one of the windows98 boxes. The
> other windows98 have the drivers installed. All the stuff is now
> working ok.

> The linux box does not actually print and I don't need to change that.
> I mean that I need linux to act just like server, no jobs of its own
> will need to be printed.

> An here is my question: what is the minimum software I must install in
> the linux box?

Either LPD or CUPS, personally I prefer CUPS.

The Linux box will have to print, since it's printing on behalf of the
windows boxes.  Get it printing directly to the printer first, then sort
out the sharing.

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE)
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

Question intelligently:

1. Win printer driver name for GhostScript driver

Hi,

I succesfully installed GhostScript 7.0 on Linux 2.4.10 with hpijs0.97
driver for my HP DJ640C and I decided to select the
'Apple Color LaserWriter 12/600' for printing from Windows 2K
with Samba 2.2.0.

Everything seems to work fine except that I get on the end of my printed
documents an additional page with something like: