Samba nmbd daemon won't start

Post by Eric » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm installing samba 2.0.5a on a system with Caldera Openlinux 2.2. Whether
I use "samba start" or try to start the daemons by hand, I find that the
smbd daemon starts just fine, but the nmbd daemon fails immediately without
any error messages.

Anybody know what's going wrong?

--
Eric Jorgensen ==============================================

|    Author of DirectVarmint, a directX library
|    http://www.mightbits.com/directv/dv_sig

Samba nmbd daemon won't start

Post by downt.. » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

i had this problem once. this may may or may not be related to your
problem.

if you're using SWAT check the WINS settings. make sure that you don't
have wins server AND wins support checked.
to make sure you can look at your smb.conf and make sure that you have
one or the other, but not both of these lines :

        wins server = 192.168.0.1    # replace with your IP
        wins support = Yes

if _both_ of these lines are present, nmbd -D will not start.

hope that helps.

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:22:21 -0600, "Eric J"