Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List

Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List

Post by Jason Petr » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a network of about 20 or so Win95 boxes on a subnet (128.146.228.x)
together with a Linux box running Samba 1.9.16p2. I've upped the OS level
of the samba server, and it's the browse master, no problem.

Now I've also got a view computers in satellite offices, on different
subnets, that I want to integrate with the subnet. If I put the Linux box's
IP # in the WINS server tab on the remote computers, the remote computers
can browse the  128.146.228.x network fine. But I can't figure out how to
get the remote computers to appear in the local browse lists. I've added
entries for them to the lmhosts file on the samba server, and I can connect
to them with path names, no problem, but I can't get them on Samba's browse
list. Can I do this?

Post by Greg Cis » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I have a network of about 20 or so Win95 boxes on a subnet (128.146.228.x)
>together with a Linux box running Samba 1.9.16p2. I've upped the OS level
>of the samba server, and it's the browse master, no problem.

>Now I've also got a view computers in satellite offices, on different
>subnets, that I want to integrate with the subnet. If I put the Linux box's
>IP # in the WINS server tab on the remote computers, the remote computers
>can browse the  128.146.228.x network fine. But I can't figure out how to
>get the remote computers to appear in the local browse lists. I've added
>entries for them to the lmhosts file on the samba server, and I can connect
>to them with path names, no problem, but I can't get them on Samba's browse
>list. Can I do this?

The easiest is to make sure that TCP/IP is the only protocol on those machines.
And make sure your subnet is set to 255.255.0.0 on all machines.

Post by Greg Cis » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>I have a network of about 20 or so Win95 boxes on a subnet (128.146.228.x)
>>together with a Linux box running Samba 1.9.16p2. I've upped the OS level
>>of the samba server, and it's the browse master, no problem.

>>Now I've also got a view computers in satellite offices, on different
>>subnets, that I want to integrate with the subnet. If I put the Linux box's
>>IP # in the WINS server tab on the remote computers, the remote computers
>>can browse the  128.146.228.x network fine. But I can't figure out how to
>>get the remote computers to appear in the local browse lists. I've added
>>entries for them to the lmhosts file on the samba server, and I can connect
>>to them with path names, no problem, but I can't get them on Samba's browse
>>list. Can I do this?

>The easiest is to make sure that TCP/IP is the only protocol on those machines.
>And make sure your subnet is set to 255.255.0.0 on all machines.

                    ^^^^^^

I meant netmask, (or subnet mask)...

P.S. Thanks for pointing this out Michael...

Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List

Post by Jason Pet » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>>Now I've also got a view computers in satellite offices, on different
>>>subnets, that I want to integrate with the subnet. If I put the Linux box's
>>>IP # in the WINS server tab on the remote computers, the remote computers
>>>can browse the  128.146.228.x network fine. But I can't figure out how to
>>>get the remote computers to appear in the local browse lists. I've added
>>>entries for them to the lmhosts file on the samba server, and I can connect
>>>to them with path names, no problem, but I can't get them on Samba's browse
>>>list. Can I do this?
>>The easiest is to make sure that TCP/IP is the only protocol on those machines.
>>And make sure your subnet is set to 255.255.0.0 on all machines.

>I meant netmask, (or subnet mask)...

TCP/IP is the only protocol on the machines.

I'm almost sure changing the subnet mask wouldn't work. These computers are
on different physical ethernets, connected by  TCP/IP Routers using FDDI.
Therefore, if I changed the subnet mask, it would break the connectivity I
already have.

Since posting, I've browsed through a book called "Using Microsoft TCP/IP",
which implies that this isn't possible without having a Windows NT (Advanced
Server only?) but then, this book doesn't recognize the existance of Samba
at all. Should I try adding the Samba server to each of the subnet's browse
list, as documented in BROWSEING.txt?

The question is, why are politicians so eager to be
president? What is it about the job that makes it worth
revealing, on national television,that you have the
ethical standards of a slime-coated piece of industrial
waste? -- Dave Barry, "On Presidential Politics"

Post by Dariush Shira » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> [...]

Quote:>Since posting, I've browsed through a book called "Using Microsoft TCP/IP",
>which implies that this isn't possible without having a Windows NT (Advanced
>Server only?) but then, this book doesn't recognize the existance of Samba
>at all. Should I try adding the Samba server to each of the subnet's browse
>list, as documented in BROWSEING.txt?

I just tried this today and the only thing I had to do was:

1. Make Samba the master; OS=35, domain master=yes, domain logons=yes.
2. Add the Samba server's IP to win95 WIN SERVER (I also have dns enabled)
3. reboot the the win95.

It worked after that.

--

 The University of Iowa - Hygienic Lab | Voice:    (319) 335-4500
 Oakdale Research Campus, OH-E5B       | Fax:      (319) 335-4555

Post by Ahmad Faridzun Misr » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I just tried this today and the only thing I had to do was:
>1. Make Samba the master; OS=35, domain master=yes, domain logons=yes.
>2. Add the Samba server's IP to win95 WIN SERVER (I also have dns enabled)
>3. reboot the the win95.

Is this how we make win95 machines on 192.168.1.x see win95 machines
on 192.168.2.x through the Samba box in "Network Neighbourhood"?
If it isn't, how then?  Is adding a Samba server on each network the
only solution?

Any answer appreciated.

Thanks,
Ahmad

Post by Stephen Fosket » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Now I've also got a view computers in satellite offices, on different
> subnets, that I want to integrate with the subnet. If I put the Linux box's
> IP # in the WINS server tab on the remote computers, the remote computers
> can browse the  128.146.228.x network fine. But I can't figure out how to
> get the remote computers to appear in the local browse lists. I've added
> entries for them to the lmhosts file on the samba server, and I can connect
> to them with path names, no problem, but I can't get them on Samba's browse
> list. Can I do this?

I do something similar at my site, maybe it'll help.  I think you need
your master to be "on" all the subnets he's supposed to be browse master
for.  Then you generate an LMHOSTS file for the master telling it that
the workgroup is on all the networks.

For example:
I've got two IP networks on the same wire.  The 204.249.182.0 network
uses a 255.255.255.0 mask and the 146.115.120.0 network uses a
255.255.252.0 mask.  I've got PCs on both networks who want to be in the
same workgroup.

My Solaris host (running samba) has two IP addresses on the same
interface.  I set the clients on the 204 network to use the Solaris
machine's 204-net IP address as its WINS server and those on the 146
network to use the 146-net IP address.  I set them also to log onto the
Windows NT network for kicks...

My LMHOSTS file for samba looks like this:

204.249.182.255         mass-usr.com    G
146.115.120.255         mass-usr.com    G
146.115.121.255         mass-usr.com    G
146.115.122.255         mass-usr.com    G
146.115.123.255         mass-usr.com    G

I suppose I COULD have set just the 146.115.123.255 broadcast address
and still had it work, and I may do this, but this gets the job done.
Now PCs on both networks appear in Network Neighborhood.  Plus, I can
see the Network Neighborhood from home over dialup networking if I set
the WINS server!

It really works well.

Anyone care to comment on this setup?  Especially on my LMHOSTS file...

Stephen
--

                 U.S. Robotics, Massachusetts R&D Lab

Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List

Post by Michael Hirm » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

referring to a message of A.Misron from ncs.nerc.ac.uk
with subject: [Re: Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List]
posted on:    [25 Sep 96]
       in:    [comp.protocols.smb]

[...]

Quote:> Is this how we make win95 machines on 192.168.1.x see win95 machines
> on 192.168.2.x through the Samba box in "Network Neighbourhood"?
> If it isn't, how then?  Is adding a Samba server on each network the
> only solution?

Sorry to tell you, but this *is* the only solution - you must have a
WINS-Server on each subnet.

Quote:

> Any answer appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Ahmad

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke, Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81, D-90489 Nuernberg, Germany

Post by Kenneth L. Hame » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> referring to a message of A.Misron from ncs.nerc.ac.uk
> with subject: [Re: Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's
Browse List]
> posted on:    [25 Sep 96]
>        in:    [comp.protocols.smb]

> [...]
> > Is this how we make win95 machines on 192.168.1.x see win95 machines
> > on 192.168.2.x through the Samba box in "Network Neighbourhood"?
> > If it isn't, how then?  Is adding a Samba server on each network the
> > only solution?

> Sorry to tell you, but this *is* the only solution - you must have a
> WINS-Server on each subnet.

I hate to tell _you_ this, but this is absolutely wrong.  If you are going
to use WINS, you only need one WINS server for your entire network.  But a
WINS server will not necessarily make all machines visible to all others in
the network neighborhood - WINS provides NetBIOS to IP name resolution, not
browse lists, which is what you see in "Network Neighborhood".

WINS does not provide a browsing service - you have to specify the machine
you wish to look at before you can see it.  The only well-behaved
cross-network browsing solution I have seen is the Windows NT domain model,
where the PDC is the master browser for the domain, regardless of the
network structure.  With this model, a Windows 95 machine whose workgroup
name is the same as an existing NT domain name, and is configured to log on
to that domain, will be presented with the browse list for that domain,
including presumably other Windows 95 machines that register with WINS as a
member of the same workgroup. I wish I could say the other Win95 boxes
appear for sure, but since it is Sunday night here the only machines beside
my own I have seen in any domain here are NT servers and workstations - the
Win95 boxes are user machines and are probably turned off, and my samba
server is hidden from the outside world on purpose so I cannot see it from
here.  This domain-based browsing appears to work only with domains and
domain/workgroup mixes, not pure workgroups.

I do not know if a samba-controlled "domain" (as used to provide login
scripts, profiles, and policies to Windows 95 boxes) will behave in this
fashion since I do not have a properly configured samba server up to test
with - since samba's domain support is not complete I can't even guess.

- Ken

Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List

Post by Michael Hirm » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

referring to a message of k-hamer from uiuc.edu
with subject: [Re: Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's Browse List]
posted on:    [30 Sep 96]
       in:    [comp.protocols.smb]

[...]

Quote:> I hate to tell _you_ this, but this is absolutely wrong.  If you are going
> to use WINS, you only need one WINS server for your entire network.  But a
> WINS server will not necessarily make all machines visible to all others in
> the network neighborhood - WINS provides NetBIOS to IP name resolution, not
> browse lists, which is what you see in "Network Neighborhood".

Of course you are right - what I meant was that you need a SAMBA-Server
on each subnet.

[...]

Quote:

> - Ken

Bye.
Michael.
--

Post by Charles E. Cann » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> referring to a message of k-hamer from uiuc.edu
> with subject: [Re: Adding Win95 boxes on different subnets to Samba's
Browse List]
> posted on:    [30 Sep 96]
>        in:    [comp.protocols.smb]

> [...]
> > I hate to tell _you_ this, but this is absolutely wrong.  If you are going
> > to use WINS, you only need one WINS server for your entire network.  But a
> > WINS server will not necessarily make all machines visible to all others in
> > the network neighborhood - WINS provides NetBIOS to IP name resolution, not
> > browse lists, which is what you see in "Network Neighborhood".

If this is the case, then how come when I use one of the public WINS
servers on the internet, I can see all of the other computers that are
connected (also using this WINS) in my net. neigh?  None of us are on the
same domain.  Is it just a result of using WINS?

> Of course you are right - what I meant was that you need a SAMBA-Server
> on each subnet.

> [...]

> > - Ken

> Bye.
> Michael.
> --
> Michael Hirmke, Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81, D-90489 Nuernberg, Germany

--
Charles E. Cannon
Motorola SPS, High Performance Embedded Systems Austin, TX

Work:  (512) 891-3971
Fax:   (512) 891-2943

1. Can't browse samba across subnets with win95

You have hit the nail on the head: 'remote announce' is the
configuration setting you are looking for, in addition to the
'interfaces' settings.  Look at man smb.conf and the 'examples'
directory from the samba source install.  Note that 1.9.15p8 sets up
the 'remote announce' networks and LAN/WAN 'interfaces' via the
lmhosts file, as opposed to the smb.conf file (I *think* - I cannot
remember what patch level my previous samba install was at).  I highly
recommend upgrading to the newest version, as it will simplify your
configuration hassles and, at least on my network, seems to be
substantially more efficient than previous verisons.

Good Luck!

// Kenneth F. Krutsch
// Krutsch Associates, Inc.

// Voice :(612) 722-3777
// Fax   :(612) 729-2962

2. Junior Oracle Programmer Required - Cambs, UK

3. Samba browsing over different subnets

4. Ink Refills!! cheap!

5. STOP Samba from being a browse list master / backup browse list

6. Warning: VC5 -> VC6 eats ressources !

7. Samba 2.0.5a and Multiple Subnets and the infamous Browse List

8. ->? next to my features, what does it mean?

9. samba/win95 subnet/browse problem

10. Win95 machine hangs trying to browse Samba box

11. Multi-subnet samba problem (can browse shares, but can't access them!)

12. Cross Subnet Browsing with Different workgroups

13. browsing from different subnets