Win2K accessing Samba on Linux

Post by Justin Wintou » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:04:56

Very strange problem with Win2K trying to access a Samba 2.2.7a server
running on Redhat 9.

When I open NetworkPlaces/ComputersNearMe on the Win2K machine, it shows all
the servers on the network, including the SambaOnRedHat server. I can open
the Win98 and Win2K servers and see all their shares as expected, but if I
attempt to open the Samba share, I get the response "Network path not
found."

Ethereal tells me that Samba is announcing its names on the subnet (hence
the appearance in ComputersNearMe), but when I attempt to open the Samba
share, the Win2K client gets no response to its Name Queries. It sends 3
identical Name Queries for the name of the Samba share, and when nobody
answers it gives up and posts the "Path not found" message.

I have tried it with WINS support on and off in Samba, and with NetBIOS over
TCP/IP enabled and disabled on the Win2K box. Results are always the same.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

smb.conf follows:

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
workgroup = andaro
server string = Samba server on elizabeth

printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = cups

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
log level = 4
max log size = 100

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
pam password change = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes

wins support = yes
dns proxy = no

guest ok = yes
guest account = samba
security = SHARE

==============================
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writeable = yes
valid users = %S
create mode = 0664
directory mode = 0775

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
printable = yes

[share]
comment = Shared Directory
path = /home/share
guest ok = yes

Win2K accessing Samba on Linux

Post by Mark » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:42:00

Quote:> Very strange problem with Win2K trying to access a Samba 2.2.7a server
> running on Redhat 9.

> When I open NetworkPlaces/ComputersNearMe on the Win2K machine, it shows all
> the servers on the network, including the SambaOnRedHat server. I can open
> the Win98 and Win2K servers and see all their shares as expected, but if I
> attempt to open the Samba share, I get the response "Network path not
> found."

> Ethereal tells me that Samba is announcing its names on the subnet (hence
> the appearance in ComputersNearMe), but when I attempt to open the Samba
> share, the Win2K client gets no response to its Name Queries. It sends 3
> identical Name Queries for the name of the Samba share, and when nobody
> answers it gives up and posts the "Path not found" message.

> I have tried it with WINS support on and off in Samba, and with NetBIOS over
> TCP/IP enabled and disabled on the Win2K box. Results are always the same.

> Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

> smb.conf follows:

> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================
> [global]
> workgroup = andaro
> server string = Samba server on elizabeth

> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> load printers = yes
> printing = cups

> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> log level = 4
> max log size = 100

> encrypt passwords = yes
> smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> unix password sync = Yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
> pam password change = yes
> obey pam restrictions = yes

> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

> wins support = yes
> dns proxy = no

> guest ok = yes
> guest account = samba
> security = SHARE

> #============================ Share Definitions
> ==============================
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> writeable = yes
> valid users = %S
> create mode = 0664
> directory mode = 0775

> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> browseable = no
> printable = yes

> [share]
> comment = Shared Directory
> path = /home/share
> guest ok = yes

You probably have Redhat's default firewall running which is blocking
ports 137-139. You will need to open those ports in order Samba to
communicate with your Windows pc.

Furthermore you need to have a properly setup smb.conf, your settings
above are lackimg some important parameters. See my webpage below for
help

--
Regards,
Mark

1. printing from win2k on linux samba printer

Hello, does anyone found a solution for this problem ?
When I trie to print from win2k on a remote printer (a debian linux
samba printer) I've an error message in the log file :
[2002/09/24 10:08:52, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(615)
   furynick (192.168.0.3) connect to service hplj4l as user furynick
(uid=1001, gid=1001) (pid 853)
[2002/09/24 10:08:52, 1] smbd/ipc.c:api_fd_reply(292)
   api_fd_reply: INVALID PIPE HANDLE: 771f

The same printer with a win98 client work fine but the name of the
printer isn't the same ("hplj4l" on win2k, "lp" on win98) but the two
names are defined in the printcap !!

Thanks.

2. sending email with Ipaq

3. How to synchronize passwords between win2k and samba 2.2.7a Linux Mandrake 9.1

4. How to change the ownership of the table?

5. slow filecopy Samba<->Win2K, specially Win2K->Samba

6. 405 ERROR

7. Win2k clients cannot access Samba drive

8. SAMBA PDC & Win2k Registry Write Access for users

9. accessing (public) Guest-shares on win2k with samba

10. No access to Samba Shares using Win2k Pro Sp2

11. No access to Samba shares with Win2k