Unix -> Windows printing

Post by Andrew Polloc » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a way to print directly to a Windows printer
via Samba using lp/lpr. In a similar vein, can you mount a Windows
sharename as a filesystem on the Unix end?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Andrew Pollock

http://www.bit.net.au/~apollock

phone://+61.7.3252.4575          fax://+61.7.3252.1900

Brisbane Internet Technology, Queensland, Australia.

Unix -> Windows printing

Post by Matt Behre » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I'd like to know if there is a way to print directly to a Windows printer
: via Samba using lp/lpr. In a similar vein, can you mount a Windows
: sharename as a filesystem on the Unix end?

Answer to the second question: yes, if you're running Linux and have
ksmbfs in your kernel.

--
Matt "Zigg" Behrens           | WWFIN Channel Operator
--------------------------------| HTML Maintainer, a.b.s.mods FAQ

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~behrensm/     | Promised to Karen Walther

Unix -> Windows printing

Post by Arnon Tiro » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'd like to know if there is a way to print directly to a Windows printer
>via Samba using lp/lpr. In a similar vein, can you mount a Windows
>sharename as a filesystem on the Unix end?

>Thanks in advance

>Andrew
>--

As long as the windows machine shares the printer, all you need to do
is defined in the file smbprint which is part of the package. If you
can't find the file or have additional problems, email me directly.

1. Printing NT w/s > NT srv > Unix > Lexmark

We are suffering from very slow printing. I think that the actual
printing itself is quick, but when Word opens a document or when the
print pop-up is requested it takes 5-10 minutes to appear and then, to
change printer takes a very long time. When the little printer
icon indicates that it is actually printing, the busy light on the
printer starts flashing almost immediately.

We have a number of NT4 workstations looked after by an NT4 PDC and
backup.  Our printers (HP and Lexmark) are driven from 2 Solaris 7
machines, one for HP and one for Lexmark.  The NT backup server looks
after the printers for the PCs and sends the requests to Solaris with
Samba 2.0.7.  The printer drivers are set up on the NT server, rather
than on each PC.  It is my impression that the slowness is when PC apps,
such as Word, ask for information about the printer. The printing on
the Solaris side works fine, including from smbclient.

When things are running slowly I can see lpstat being constatly run on
the Samba server, in response to requests coming over the net from the
NT server.  It is variable, sometimes the response is very fast and
lpstat is not to be seen running on the Samba server.

On the NT server it appears that the Lexmark software has been installed
to drive the printers (Markvision), along with the printer drivers
needed by the PCs.  Among the services running on the server is LexBce
which is closely coupled with the spooler.  (Stopping one, stops the
other)

I get the impression that the Lexmark software is being too clever
and getting in the way on the NT server.

Is the concept of using the NT server to supply the drivers, while
passing on the print request via Samba, ok? One down side is that
the print request is handled as administrator on the NT server,
which is then executed as the guest account on Solaris.

Thank you for any help or advice

Geoff Gibbs
--
UK-Human Genome Mapping Project-Resource Centre,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK

2. misc question

3. Unix --> Work Group 4 Windows printing

4. ICASSP paper summaries due 8/15

5. Printing problem (from UNIX->NT->Win95 server)

6. Editing mail message attachments with RMAIL/RMIME?

7. connect UNIX->PC->UNIX

8. looking for 3000

9. Help with Win->Unix printing

10. Floating Exception error printing unix->win

11. Printing UNIX --> Wg4W

12. UNIX --> NT printing

13. Printing Problem from NT -> UNIX(FreeBSD)