WIN95/Solaris/1.9.15p2 problem

Post by John Daigneaul » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

See subject line...

Got it running fine but have a question/problem...

Running this on a Sparc1000 with Solaris 2.4

If a WIN95 client has a drive/printer mounted and
the nmbd and smbd processes die/are killed, they
will not restart properly while the client still
has a mount point i.e. smbd will not start back up
until I dismount all mount points.  This is a big
problem since on occasion it may be necessary to
reboot our server and we don't want to have to
reboot all the clients first!  Any ideas on this...

thanx
John

WIN95/Solaris/1.9.15p2 problem

Post by Jim Carls » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>If a WIN95 client has a drive/printer mounted and
>the nmbd and smbd processes die/are killed, they
>will not restart properly while the client still
>has a mount point i.e. smbd will not start back up
>until I dismount all mount points.  This is a big
>problem since on occasion it may be necessary to
>reboot our server and we don't want to have to
>reboot all the clients first!  Any ideas on this...

>thanx
>John

I was seeing the same problem that when you killed the samba processes on the
server, you could not then restart the main samba process (smbd).  When you
tried to restart it, it looked like it started and gave no error messages, but
didn't actually start.

It turns out that you have to wait a couple of minutes before restarting
samba. This has something to do with waiting for the port to be freed up.  I
don't know exactly how long you have to wait, but 4 minutes is long enough.

Jim Carlson

Post by Carsten He » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >If a WIN95 client has a drive/printer mounted and
> >the nmbd and smbd processes die/are killed, they
> >will not restart properly while the client still
> >has a mount point i.e. smbd will not start back up
> >until I dismount all mount points.  This is a big
> >problem since on occasion it may be necessary to
> >reboot our server and we don't want to have to
> >reboot all the clients first!  Any ideas on this...

> >thanx
> >John

> I was seeing the same problem that when you killed the samba processes on the
> server, you could not then restart the main samba process (smbd).  When you
> tried to restart it, it looked like it started and gave no error messages, but
> didn't actually start.

> It turns out that you have to wait a couple of minutes before restarting
> samba. This has something to do with waiting for the port to be freed up.  I
> don't know exactly how long you have to wait, but 4 minutes is long enough.

You may do a
                "netstat -a"
on the solaris box and look for ports 137 and 139 to see if connections are
still up to the clients and to which clients.
Quote:

> Jim Carlson

Ciao,
        Carsten

1. Solaris / NT Print problem with samba 1.9.15p2

: I've installed Samba 1.9.15p2 on my Solaris 2.4 Sparc Station.

: Now from Windows NT, I can mount drives or printer with the
: command line (net use ....).
: I can print directly to the network printer with

: type foo > \\SERVER\PRINTER

: The problem is that in the browser (to connect to a network
: drive, or to connect to a network printer), the server doesn't
: have any printer, nor shared drives.

: In the smb.conf file, I have set the browseable variable.

: Can you help me, please ?

Never mind, I've forgotten to launch the nmbd daemons.

Excuse me.

E.G.

2. CD-RW Discussion

3. WIN95 & Samba 1.9.15p2

4. Cisco 675 Filters and VPN

5. Samba 1.9.15p8 Solaris win95 HELP!

6. DataTable/DataRow performance problem

7. Problems with Samba 1.9.15p8 on Solaris 2.4

8. UNIX -> Win95 problems with 1.9.15p8

9. URGENT -- Samba 1.9.15p8 Problems With LInux 1.3.59 and WIN95/NT

10. Samba 1.9.15p8 under solaris 2.4

11. SMB 1.9.15p8 Sparc 1/Win95

12. Samba 1.9.15p8 and WIN95