can't umount zip or cdrom

Post by Brett Gilber » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a problem with samba on RH5.1. Anytime I mount and share either
my zip or cdrom via samba after someone has accessed the device I am unable
to umount the drive.

Even when the person has left Windows Explorer on Win95 it does not seem to
release the drive from being shared.

The only way I can 'release' the lock on the drive is to shut down samba and
restart it.

Any ideas?

--
Brett Gilbert
ICQ: 3109887

can't umount zip or cdrom

Post by John Scot » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I think it's a good feature to have.  I don't want anyone changing CD's on
me when I'm trying to access the drive.  Do you?

It's not all that hard to type the following:

$ cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
$ ./smb stop

... change cd

$ ./smb start

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

You could probably write a shell script to do it if you wanted to do less
typing, but who cares?  Maybe there is a version of samba that will not lock
down the device, but like I said, I kind of like the feature.  If you share
the machine with someone else, they can't just change CD's on you if you're
idle for a few seconds or something.

-John
ICQ : 1835447

>I'm having a problem with samba on RH5.1. Anytime I mount and share either
>my zip or cdrom via samba after someone has accessed the device I am unable
>to umount the drive.

>Even when the person has left Windows Explorer on Win95 it does not seem to
>release the drive from being shared.

>The only way I can 'release' the lock on the drive is to shut down samba
and
>restart it.

>Any ideas?

>--
>Brett Gilbert
>ICQ: 3109887

can't umount zip or cdrom

Post by Morten Pederse » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have noticed this problem to. The problem is, that windows for some
reason, doesnt  release the drive strait away, even when you unmounts the
cdrom share. To make it do so, dont use Explores own unmount, but use the
old dos command instead:

net use  x: \\servername\cdrom /yes

and to unmount:

net use x: /delete

This should fix your problem.

Regards Morten

Brett Gilbert skrev i meddelelsen ...

Quote:>I'm having a problem with samba on RH5.1. Anytime I mount and share either
>my zip or cdrom via samba after someone has accessed the device I am unable
>to umount the drive.

>Even when the person has left Windows Explorer on Win95 it does not seem to
>release the drive from being shared.

>The only way I can 'release' the lock on the drive is to shut down samba
and
>restart it.

>Any ideas?

>--
>Brett Gilbert
>ICQ: 3109887

1. Samba and Postexec to umount zip

Hi, I'm having a problem with samba. Im sharing a zip with a windows
network. I'm using preexec to mount the zip and postexec to umount. The
problem is that umount takes lots of time to occur. In a win9x takes
3.45min and in a NT domain 10 min. I think the problem is with the
netbios conection, i think postexec only happens when netbios
connection ends.
Is there any way to reduce this time, maybe a timeout or a way to
terminate the netbios connection???

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ctrl-y meta-y requires multiple meta-y

3. CDRom, umount, and Samba

4. Final CFP: Intl Conf on Engg Applications of Neural Networks

5. can't umount due to Windows connections

6. BBC B video RGB/SCART connections, How to make?

7. Can't get zip drive to work!

8. using listview

9. That's not the correct CDROM error installing SGI XFS with Redhat Linux 7.3

10. Using PC's CDROM from Unix

11. shared /cdrom on Debian won't refresh

12. Those Pesky cdrom's

13. Mounting devices like floppy, CDROM's