Connecting to Samba via Different OS's.

Post by Adam H » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm (also) relatively new to Samba. I currently have my linux machine on
our network, and I can see this fine from the NT server. (When I try to
connect,
it askes me for a username and password, and then logs straight in).

However, when I try to access it from a Windows 95/98 workstation, it askes
me for a password only - and then refuses my connection. (I assumed that
it took the username from when I logged on to windows, but that didn't work,
so I assumed it sent the machine name, but still no cigar  :-(   )

Can someone please tell me how I should be able to access samba from a
95-98 workstation.

Thanks & Regards

Adam Hair

Post by Axel Neuman » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm (also) relatively new to Samba. I currently have my linux machine on
> our network, and I can see this fine from the NT server. (When I try to
> connect,
> it askes me for a username and password, and then logs straight in).

> However, when I try to access it from a Windows 95/98 workstation, it
askes
> me for a password only - and then refuses my connection. (I assumed that
> it took the username from when I logged on to windows, but that didn't
work,
> so I assumed it sent the machine name, but still no cigar  :-(   )

> Can someone please tell me how I should be able to access samba from a
> 95-98 workstation.

> Thanks & Regards

> Adam Hair

Hi,

for login Win9x uses the user name you have entered for the Network Login at
start up of Win9x. If this name and its password has to correspond with a
valid user name on the Samba server.

Regards ,

Axel Neumann

Connecting to Samba via Different OS's.

Post by Thor » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Another gotcha is that NT will use unencrypted passwords, while
95-98 insists on encryption.  You can enable encryption in SAMBA or
enable plain text passwords in the registry in the client machine.

> Hi,

> I'm (also) relatively new to Samba. I currently have my linux machine on
> our network, and I can see this fine from the NT server. (When I try to
> connect,
> it askes me for a username and password, and then logs straight in).

> However, when I try to access it from a Windows 95/98 workstation, it askes
> me for a password only - and then refuses my connection. (I assumed that
> it took the username from when I logged on to windows, but that didn't work,
> so I assumed it sent the machine name, but still no cigar  :-(   )

> Can someone please tell me how I should be able to access samba from a
> 95-98 workstation.

> Thanks & Regards

> Adam Hair

1. OS/2 Warp (not 'CONNECT') with Samba 1.9.15p8

I am trying to figure out if there is anyway (and how) to connect/browse a
Linux/Samba server from OS/2 Warp 3.0 (not Warp Connect)?

I have been unable to see the Samba server from either an OS/2 Warp
workstation or a Lan Server 4.0 server...

Thanks in advance...

Steve Ginn
2nd Vice President
Smith Barney - Consulting Group

2. Digital Consolidated Distribution Documentation Available via TELNET and WWW

3. Why all these Samba errors when connecting via OS/2?

4. Using MS-Access objects in VB

5. help: os/2 can't connect to samba server

6. New (?) features in next release of NFS

7. Now that I have SAMBA, how do I have OS view other OS's files.

8. netmanage chameleon under win-os2

9. Can't connect to samba server via NT 4.0 using service pack 3

10. OS X 10.2 client can't connect to sbs2000 server

11. Can't connect with OS/2 station

12. Samba: From a different network I can only connect to samba with debug > 10

13. Connecting two SBS's in different Cities