I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC

I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC

Post by Mark Worsdal » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:58:58

Hi All,

Today I had a little break through in trying to get our XP laptops to
access the shares samba serves.

It was on a laptop where I had done lots of other fiddles, to the point
where the laptop was allowed to browse the workgroup HINWICK (finally)
but it would not see our samba server and even forcing a connection
would not work.

But then I wondered why there has nothing about plain passwords in XP
mentioned, so I had a look and there was 3 entries for
enableplaintextpassword all set to 0.

So I changed all 3 entries to 1 and restarted the laptop.

Blimey, when I browsed the workgroup HINWICK there was the samba
server!!!

So I logged of the laptop as Administrator and logged back on as guest,
tried to browse the workgroup HINWICK and was told I did not have
permission etc rubbish useless XP error comment that is worth rambling
on and on cos MS really annoyed me today.

I guess that the fiddles I did to the user Administrator did not carry
over to the user guest. I checked the reg and the 3
enableplaintextpassword entries where still 1.

Any comments on why this all happened?

M.
--
Mark Worsdall
https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LS79YHQ9VUGLJ

I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC

Post by Mark » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:10:07

says...

Quote:> Hi All,

> Today I had a little break through in trying to get our XP laptops to
> access the shares samba serves.

> It was on a laptop where I had done lots of other fiddles, to the point
> where the laptop was allowed to browse the workgroup HINWICK (finally)
> but it would not see our samba server and even forcing a connection
> would not work.

> But then I wondered why there has nothing about plain passwords in XP
> mentioned, so I had a look and there was 3 entries for
> enableplaintextpassword all set to 0.

> So I changed all 3 entries to 1 and restarted the laptop.

> Blimey, when I browsed the workgroup HINWICK there was the samba
> server!!!

> So I logged of the laptop as Administrator and logged back on as guest,
> tried to browse the workgroup HINWICK and was told I did not have
> permission etc rubbish useless XP error comment that is worth rambling
> on and on cos MS really annoyed me today.

> I guess that the fiddles I did to the user Administrator did not carry
> over to the user guest. I checked the reg and the 3
> enableplaintextpassword entries where still 1.

> Any comments on why this all happened?

> M.

See http://samba.netfirms.com/faq.htm for details on the plaintext
password misconceptions,there are 2 faq regarding this. Then go the
homepage and do some reading for properly setting up samba.
www.samba.netfirms.com

--
Regards,
Mark

1. Samba PDC on RH 7.1, XP Pro Clients: Roaming profiles not working.

Hi,

Does anyone have a workaround for the following problem:

I have configured my Samba (2.2.2) server to act as a PDC for a number
of clients - these clients are all runnig XP Pro and can connect to
the domain fine, users can login and out etc - however while the file
based part of the profile (my documents etc) is working anything which
uses the registry hive is not working...

If anyone knows of a solution either post a reply or email me...

TIA,

Richard.

2. Newbie

3. Win2kPro/XP while browsing My Network Places gets error "[domain] is not accessi

4. Data Form Wizard error: Value cannot be null.

5. XP Clients not getting IP

6. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000b8 (0x0000

7. not getting Advertisments on client XP Machine

8. SPARC 5/10/20 Cluster Processing

9. win2k PDC: "password server is not connected"

10. pam_smb: getting linux workstations to authenticate against a samba PDC

11. SAMBA PDC for Exchange server - getting desperate!

12. Windows XP dial-up PPTP to SBS 4.5 (fixed IP) not connecting

13. XP Pro not able to connect to W2K sbs via DHCP