accesiing public share and passwords

Post by Jean Chares » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We have just installed version 1.9.18p8 of samba on an HP-UX c100
running 10.20.

The compile went fine with no errors returned.

We modified the default smb.conf file in the examples directory to point
to the directory where samba is installed and chnaged the workgroup name
and installed it as is for testing.

When we try to access the public share as defined in the default
smb.conf file, the system asks for a password. We used the
"smbclient \\hostname\public" system call. If I type in my unix password
then I get in fine.

The smb.conf man page states that if public = yes, then no password is
required to connect to this service and priviledges will be that of the
guest account.

We have tried the smbclient with the -N switch and get an error
"Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup
are invalid"

If we try with the -U% switch then we get in Okay. However we cannot use
this from a Win95 system.

We have created the guest account in /etc/passwd as pcguest and can
su - pcguest with no problems.

What else do we have to configure to get access to a share defined as
public? It cannot be that hard to do, we just cannot put our finger on
the right page in all the docs.

Jean Charest

1. Public file share with no username/password?

Hi. I have a samba share setup on a unix machine (OpenBSD i386 v3.1).
The share is a public share available to everyone on the network and
does not require a username and password.

Presently the samba share always seem to prompt the client to enter a
username and password. Why? It shouldn't be asking for anything at all.
On Windows 2000 you just hit the Okay button on the dialog and
everything works fine. But on Windows '9x/XP it has the Okay button
grayed out and wants a username and password. I do not want it require a
username and password.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here's my configuration of this
specific Samba share. I'm using Samba v2.2.3a. Maybe I'm using the wrong
account www I dunno. BTW, I'm using security = user. This is required
because I have other shares that uses the user level security system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[storage]
    comment = Public File Storage Access
    path = /usr/files/storage
    public = yes
    writable = no
    read only = yes
    printable = no
    browsable = yes

2. Error message help please

3. public share allows accounts access without password

4. Any ramifications of removing 1st DC in domain?

5. Public share requiring a password

6. Anyone receive the Ricoh rebate yet? Been 4 months now

7. W95 / Public shares / Private shares

8. dial-in from HO and dial-out to ISP with Cisco 800

9. public service & NT password server problem

10. SAMBA insists on a password for public

11. How do I share outlook categories I've made for a public exchange folder?

12. Shared Fax - public folder contacts