Can't browse Samba Server via WINS

Post by Helmut Ruhol » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

After several hours, tries and frustrations hoping for some answers.
Using Samba version 2.06, across subnet, WINS on NT installed.

using smb.conf:
wins server = NT Machine

Workgroup of smb.conf and the NT-machine are identical.

If  I'm looking in the WINS  manager the samba server 'smb' appears there 3
times.

But if I'm browsing the NT-machine  can't see the 'smb' server.

My main question is:
If the smb entry appears in the WINS database, why it doesn't appear
automatically
in the neighborhood?

Regards
Helmut

Can't browse Samba Server via WINS

Post by Horst E » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>After several hours, tries and frustrations hoping for some answers.
>Using Samba version 2.06, across subnet, WINS on NT installed.

>using smb.conf:
>wins server = NT Machine

>Workgroup of smb.conf and the NT-machine are identical.

>If  I'm looking in the WINS  manager the samba server 'smb' appears
>there 3 times.

>But if I'm browsing the NT-machine  can't see the 'smb' server.

>My main question is:
>If the smb entry appears in the WINS database, why it doesn't appear
>automatically
>in the neighborhood?

>Regards
>Helmut

The neighborhood is the result of a browse list, not WINS.
If WINS is the same for client and server, try the following:

        net view \\servername

1. Browsing printers via Windows NT workstation won' work.

Well things are moving along quite well with Samba and Windows NT.

Windows NT can now see all disk shares coming from my SCO Unixware
machine.  When I do a the command "net view \\ems001" from the
DOS command line on the Windows NT workstation named EMS002
I receive the following:

Shared resources at \\ems001

Samba 1.9.15p8

Share name   Type         Used as  Comment

             Disk
color        Print        LPT1     Color Printer
homes        Disk                  Home Directories
laser        Print                 Laser Printer
printers     Print                 All Printers
tmp          Disk                  Temporary files
The command completed successfully.

When I execute the command "print autoexec.bat" from the
DOS command line on EMS002 the file prints on my color printer.

The ONLY problem I am having is when I go under the

Print Manager/Printer/Server Viewer/EMS001 on EMS002 I get the
following error:

   "Could not access \\EMS001: The printer name is invalid."

Remember EMS001 is an SCO Unixware machine running Samba 1.9.15p8.

Thanks
Peter

My smb.conf file looks like:

[global]
    allow hosts = ems002
    encrypt passwords = yes
    debug level = 4
    guest account = nobody
    load printers = yes
    os level = 33
    password level = 4
    printcap = /opt/lib/samba/lib/printcap
    printing = sysv
    security=user
    server string = EMS SERVER
    status = yes
;   This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;   it if you want a combined log file.
    log file = /opt/lib/samba/var/log.%m
    workgroup = EMS NET

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    create mode = 0755
    guest ok = no
    read only = no

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = yes
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mode = 0755
    path = /tmp

[tmp]
    comment = Temporary files
    path = /tmp
    public = yes
    read only = yes

2. PORTFOLIO Development Kit

3. Samba as 'local browse master' (and WINS)

4. is this file is an alias ?

5. Win 98 client can browse -- Win NT 4.0 can't

6. sendmail 8.11.6 question - direct all outgoing to a host instead of DNS

7. Help: SAMBA won't use WINS Server

8. Laptop on NT4 Domain

9. Enhanced Browsing across Subnets from Samba server to Win2k WINS server

10. Win95 won't browse Samba shares over dial-up PPP

11. Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

12. samba machines won't get removed from browse lists

13. Can't see samba server from Win '95 DOS mode...