one letter short

Post by Mark » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:45:35

I've been seeing some error messages like the following in my samba logs:

can't find service storag
can't find service ft

Well, the real shares are named "storage" and "ftp".  The clients seem to be
cutting off the last letter sometimes and the server doesn't understand it.
I think this started happening around the time we started converting win9x
client machines to win2k.

The users aren't reporting any errors, so it appears harmless, but I thought
I'd ask if anyone else sees this happening or has any ideas.

Samba version is 2.2.8 on RedHat 7.2.

Thanks,
Mark

one letter short

Post by Mark » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:41:01

says...
Quote:> I've been seeing some error messages like the following in my samba logs:

> can't find service storag
> can't find service ft

> Well, the real shares are named "storage" and "ftp".  The clients seem to be
> cutting off the last letter sometimes and the server doesn't understand it.
> I think this started happening around the time we started converting win9x
> client machines to win2k.

> The users aren't reporting any errors, so it appears harmless, but I thought
> I'd ask if anyone else sees this happening or has any ideas.

> Samba version is 2.2.8 on RedHat 7.2.

> Thanks,
> Mark

Post your smb.conf
--
Regards,
Mark

one letter short

Post by Mark » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:37:45

It happens on all 3 of my servers.  Here is the simplest smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from K62332.tipping.com (192.168.254.28)
# Date: 2002/10/07 10:41:35

# Global parameters
[global]
        client code page = 437
        workgroup = STA
        netbios name = FTPserver
        server string = Linux Samba Server %v
        interfaces = 192.168.254.13/255.255.255.0
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad Password
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        password level = 2
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
        load printers = No
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.254.35
        guest account = ftp
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.254.
        dos filetimes = Yes
[ftpArea]
        comment = ftp area
        path = /var/ftp
        force user = ftp
        force group = ftp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 02774

> says...
> > I've been seeing some error messages like the following in my samba
logs:

> > can't find service storag
> > can't find service ft

> > Well, the real shares are named "storage" and "ftp".  The clients seem
to be
> > cutting off the last letter sometimes and the server doesn't understand
it.
> > I think this started happening around the time we started converting
win9x
> > client machines to win2k.

> > The users aren't reporting any errors, so it appears harmless, but I
thought
> > I'd ask if anyone else sees this happening or has any ideas.

> > Samba version is 2.2.8 on RedHat 7.2.

> > Thanks,
> > Mark

> Post your smb.conf
> --
> Regards,
> Mark
> Samba Setup Guide
> www.samba.netfirms.com

1. short, sweet question seeking short, sweet answer

I just started fooling around with Samba last night, and was wondering:
(* the appropriate answere)

Is the Document Download blah blah error that pops up on my NT server
part of the whole security issue?
      [ ] YES        [ ] NO

Do I need to download the newest version, or just use the one from my
RH5.1 CD?
      [ ] YES        [ ] NO

I'm running RH5.1 on my box and trying to print to a NT server in the
basement (that's how this is supposed to work, isn't it?      [ ]
YES        [ ] NO). =]

,later

-I hope I didn't mispell anything.

2. Have anybody still have their first Sinclair?

3. Newbie Samba Question (A short one)

4. Block IP of spyware?

5. Case Statement based on first letter of an Inputed variable

6. How to disable use of VM screen with gnuserv

7. can ADSI map a local drive letter to a remote one?

8. WTB - Apple //c Hardware

9. 2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

10. HELP ME: a short survey for course assignment

11. Noerton AV for Exchange on SbS 4.5 short cut gives default website

12. short admin guide for users?

13. Configure Proxy Server in short steps