EUDORA and Samba 2.2.8: problems with Eudora files

EUDORA and Samba 2.2.8: problems with Eudora files

Post by Benoit MORE » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:30:57

We use Eudora on Windows as e-mail program. Eudora generates many
"mailboxes"; a "Eudora mailbox" consists of 2 files, one of which
contains e-mails, and the other is a table of contents.

For each user, the Eudora data directory is inside his/her home
directory. The home directories are Samba shares (Samba 2.2.8 on
Solaris 7).

As long as we have used samba 1.9, there was no problem, but since we
have upgraded our samba to 2.2.8, the "mailbox" files have problems.
The error message is always: "The mailbox <name> has a Damaged Table
of Contents." The Table of contents can be rebuilded, but previously
deleted or moved message appear not to have been effectively deleted
or moved.

No other file acces problems have been reported by our users with
other applications (Office, matlab, scientific package) using the
Samba 2.2.8 shares.

The used versions of Windows are NT4, 2000 and XP. There are no
differences of behaviour.

EUDORA and Samba 2.2.8: problems with Eudora files

Post by Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowsk » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 02:33:31

Quote:> of Contents." The Table of contents can be rebuilded, but previously
> deleted or moved message appear not to have been effectively deleted
> or moved.

That is - I confirm that...

Workaround for that is changing sensivity of timestamping of Eudora (it is
EUDORA setting)....

1. Samba - Eudora problems

I use Eudora Pro 4.1 on WinNT 4.0/SP3, and store my mailboxes
and other settings for Eudora in my home directory on a
Sun Solaris 2.6 server running samba-1.9.18p10.

Samba is configured with:
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = yes

I have experienced problems using mailboxes and nicknames as its possible
in Eudora. The problems usually arices in connection with capital letters
in file names. This has been experienced in connection with: In.mbx,
NNdbase.txt and names on folder-mailboxes and new address books.
Eudora does not recognize or is unable to read the files.

Does anyone have experience with similar problems?
Is there a solution somewhere around?

Regards

Tor Onshus,     Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU, NORWAY
N-7034 Trondheim          Tel: + 47 73594388
Fax: +47 73594399         Mobile +47 926 07 460

2. A1200 HD Info?

3. SAMBA & Eudora 5.1

4. Problems with OW3.0 calendar manager utilities

5. Samba & Eudora Pro

6. shell in window 2000

7. 1 * AszYDVElV-Samba 2.0.4b and Eudora Light

8. - Orbix/Java/XML/C++ - Derivatives System - London

9. Samba 2.0.4b and Eudora Light

10. Eudora (or other Win95 E-mail client) with Samba

11. 1 * XuWPVNruJ-Samba 2.0.4b and Eudora Light

12. Outlook EMail attachments not readable by Eudora recipients

13. Setting up Proxy to allow Eudora Mail PLEASE HELP