Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

Post by Michael Johnsto » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:10:50

I'm using Redhat 7.0 and for some reason I can't get my samba daemons to
stay
 started.  I put /usr/sbin/smbd -D and /usr/sbin/nmbd -D and the start for a
 about 30 seconds.  I can do a ps -A and see what's running, but then they
 both just die out...  What's the deal here?  Even when I try to get them to
start
 in SWAT, after about 2 minutes it comes back and tells me that they still
aren't started.  Please help...

Mike Johnston

Post by Olivier Clave » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I'm using Redhat 7.0 and for some reason I can't get my samba daemons to
> stay
>  started.  I put /usr/sbin/smbd -D and /usr/sbin/nmbd -D and the start for a
>  about 30 seconds.  I can do a ps -A and see what's running, but then they
>  both just die out...  What's the deal here?  Even when I try to get them to
> start
>  in SWAT, after about 2 minutes it comes back and tells me that they still
> aren't started.  Please help...

> Mike Johnston

Check the samba and nmb logs for error messages. Those files usualy
reside in <samba-home>/var (filenames log.smb and log.nmb).

good luck.

PS : I deleted the other groups in your cross-post, you bad boy ! :)
|Olivier Clavel- TECFA - FPSE | http://tecfa.unige.ch/~clavel |
|Uni Mail - 40, Bd carl Vogt  | Phone : +41 22 705 93 73      |
|CH-1205 Genve               | mobile : +33 6 84 13 94 62    |
Murphy's law : "if something can go wrong, it will..."

Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

Post by Scott R » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 06:34:48

Hi Mike,

I'm having the same problem as well so your not alone. I've had much better
luck with my Caldera Linux. Pretty much setup and ready to go. I've also
setup from scratch before and got it to work. But been a REAL challenge
under Redhat 7.0 for some reason. The manuals have nothing to say about
Samba at all. Samba is really one of the best reasons to get Linux in the
first place, especially if you have two ore more machines.

Hope someone in the group can enlighten us on what to do to get is running
properly.

Scott

Quote:> I'm using Redhat 7.0 and for some reason I can't get my samba daemons to
> stay
>  started.  I put /usr/sbin/smbd -D and /usr/sbin/nmbd -D and the start for
>  about 30 seconds.  I can do a ps -A and see what's running, but then they
>  both just die out...  What's the deal here?  Even when I try to get them
> start
>  in SWAT, after about 2 minutes it comes back and tells me that they still
> aren't started.  Please help...

> Mike Johnston

Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

Post by Ron Alexande » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 07:43:35

What errors are reported in the samba logs?

> Hi Mike,

> I'm having the same problem as well so your not alone. I've had much
better
> luck with my Caldera Linux. Pretty much setup and ready to go. I've also
> setup from scratch before and got it to work. But been a REAL challenge
> under Redhat 7.0 for some reason. The manuals have nothing to say about
> Samba at all. Samba is really one of the best reasons to get Linux in the
> first place, especially if you have two ore more machines.

> Hope someone in the group can enlighten us on what to do to get is running
> properly.

> Scott

> > I'm using Redhat 7.0 and for some reason I can't get my samba daemons to
> > stay
> >  started.  I put /usr/sbin/smbd -D and /usr/sbin/nmbd -D and the start
for
> >  about 30 seconds.  I can do a ps -A and see what's running, but then
they
> >  both just die out...  What's the deal here?  Even when I try to get
them
> > start
> >  in SWAT, after about 2 minutes it comes back and tells me that they
still
> > aren't started.  Please help...

> > Mike Johnston

Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

Post by Peter Szmresany » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:32:49

I had the same problem untill I noticed some error about the host name!
Is you machine name present in the file /etc/hosts? It should read
something like this:

127.0.0.1     <machine name> localhost .localdomain ....

Make sure you machine name is there beside the loopback IP.

> Hi Mike,

> I'm having the same problem as well so your not alone. I've had much better
> luck with my Caldera Linux. Pretty much setup and ready to go. I've also
> setup from scratch before and got it to work. But been a REAL challenge
> under Redhat 7.0 for some reason. The manuals have nothing to say about
> Samba at all. Samba is really one of the best reasons to get Linux in the
> first place, especially if you have two ore more machines.

> Hope someone in the group can enlighten us on what to do to get is running
> properly.

> Scott

>> I'm using Redhat 7.0 and for some reason I can't get my samba daemons to
>> stay
>>  started.  I put /usr/sbin/smbd -D and /usr/sbin/nmbd -D and the start for
>>  about 30 seconds.  I can do a ps -A and see what's running, but then they
>>  both just die out...  What's the deal here?  Even when I try to get them
>> start
>>  in SWAT, after about 2 minutes it comes back and tells me that they still
>> aren't started.  Please help...

>> Mike Johnston

Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

Post by Hllvard ?stre » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:45:09

/etc/hosts should be like this
127.0.0.1    localhost          # which is the local loopback interface
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  servername.domain.name
                                        # which is the IP address for your
server on your
                                        # subnet connected to eth0

Try ifconfig and see if you get wiser.

You can find indepth information on using Samba, manuals, online books, FAQs
and mailinglists, on the Samba Team site at http:\\www.samba.org. You should
be able to solve your problems by searching there.

Hallvard

> I had the same problem untill I noticed some error about the host name!
> Is you machine name present in the file /etc/hosts? It should read
> something like this:

> 127.0.0.1     <machine name> localhost .localdomain ....

> Make sure you machine name is there beside the loopback IP.

> > Hi Mike,

> > I'm having the same problem as well so your not alone. I've had much
better
> > luck with my Caldera Linux. Pretty much setup and ready to go. I've also
> > setup from scratch before and got it to work. But been a REAL challenge
> > under Redhat 7.0 for some reason. The manuals have nothing to say about
> > Samba at all. Samba is really one of the best reasons to get Linux in
the
> > first place, especially if you have two ore more machines.

> > Hope someone in the group can enlighten us on what to do to get is
running
> > properly.

> > Scott

> >> I'm using Redhat 7.0 and for some reason I can't get my samba daemons
> >> stay
> >>  started.  I put /usr/sbin/smbd -D and /usr/sbin/nmbd -D and the start
for
> >>  about 30 seconds.  I can do a ps -A and see what's running, but then
they
> >>  both just die out...  What's the deal here?  Even when I try to get
them
> >> start
> >>  in SWAT, after about 2 minutes it comes back and tells me that they
still
> >> aren't started.  Please help...

> >> Mike Johnston

1. WINS server won't start: Access Denied

After a recent reboot, I encountered the following error in the event log:

======
Event ID: 4165    Source: WINS
WINS has encountered an error that is causing it to shut down
======

Attempting to manually start the WINS service gives the following error:

======
Could not start the Windows Internet Name Service on \\<server>.
Error 0005: Access Denied
======

I've searched the KB and found Q172692 and Q175653 which
describe a similar, but not the same problem (and they didn't
help anyway).

Anyone have any ideas? This is a SBS 4.5 installation (upgraded from 4.0a
late last year).  I've never encountered any WINS related errors before.
Do I even need WINS running? Everything seems to be running fine without it.

--
Mark

Remove "DONTSPAM" and "ME" to reply by email

2. Large file in stat function

3. Why Won't RASADMIN.EXE Start?

4. How to supress page number?

5. WHY:-> "nmbd" won't start ?

6. SMS via 128k lines

7. SMS-client uninstall won't work (q199078 won't work either)

8. .NET Book Chapters Online For Your Viewing Pleasures [free]

9. Here's a reason why you can't see without a WINS server...

10. Exchange Add-ins won't load

11. IIS Default website won't start with WEB Proxy service started

12. Outlook bar group won't stay

13. Modem sharing won't stay connected (possible Win2K problem?)