W2k access to local Linux through workgroup

W2k access to local Linux through workgroup

Post by Christoph » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:37:43

 Hi,
 I have a freshly installed W2k system which must have access to a Linux
server through Samba (2.2.3, Debian woody). This is not a domain or
whatever, just a simple workgroup. It works very good between this server
and a W98, and between the server and another Linux. There is no encrypted
password, all plain text (personal network), I've set
EnablePlainTextPassword to 1 in Regedit on W2k.

 When trying to connect through the Explorer, the W2k claims that the
account is not authorized to access to connect to the server, although user
and pwd are the same as on other systems. If I change (as a test only)
'encrypted passwords = yes', the Explorer at least shows that he has found
the server.

 I don't know much more on SMB, and Google seems to deliver only advices on
EnablePlainTextPasswords.

 Thanks in advance for any information !

--
Christophe

W2k access to local Linux through workgroup

Post by Rémy CLAVERI » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:21:44

Christophe a crit :

Quote:>  Hi,
>  I have a freshly installed W2k system which must have access to a Linux
> server through Samba (2.2.3, Debian woody). This is not a domain or
> whatever, just a simple workgroup. It works very good between this server
> and a W98, and between the server and another Linux. There is no encrypted
> password, all plain text (personal network), I've set
> EnablePlainTextPassword to 1 in Regedit on W2k.

>  When trying to connect through the Explorer, the W2k claims that the
> account is not authorized to access to connect to the server, although user
> and pwd are the same as on other systems.

Do you have an account for the machine ?

Quote:> If I change (as a test only)

--
Rmy CLAVERIE
Cesium - Universit de Metz

W2k access to local Linux through workgroup

Post by Rémy CLAVERI » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:24:24

Rmy CLAVERIE a crit :

Quote:> Christophe a crit :

> >  Hi,
> >  I have a freshly installed W2k system which must have access to a Linux
> > server through Samba (2.2.3, Debian woody). This is not a domain or
> > whatever, just a simple workgroup. It works very good between this server
> > and a W98, and between the server and another Linux. There is no encrypted
> > password, all plain text (personal network), I've set
> > EnablePlainTextPassword to 1 in Regedit on W2k.

> >  When trying to connect through the Explorer, the W2k claims that the
> > account is not authorized to access to connect to the server, although user
> > and pwd are the same as on other systems.

> Do you have an account for the machine ?

Oups, it is not really an account but an entry in the /etc/passwd file like that
:

MyW2KPC$:x:600:601:W2K Machine:/dev/null:/bin/false

--
Rmy CLAVERIE
Cesium - Universit de Metz

Post by Christoph » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:55:42

> Oups, it is not really an account but an entry in the /etc/passwd file
> like that
> MyW2KPC$:x:600:601:W2K Machine:/dev/null:/bin/false

 Thanks for the answer.
 I've created the user and changed the line in /etc/passwd, it it not better
this way :-(  [I need an account for a COMPUTER now ?!?]

bug$:x:1000:1000:W2k,,,:/dev/null:/bin/false

By command line:

net use k: \\192.168.0.1\christ
L'erreur systme 1240 s'est produite
Le compte n'est pas autoris se connecter depuis cette station.

=> The account name (christ) is the same on all my computers, passwords are
plain text everywhere, workgroup is the same, no idea why this fails...

My smb.conf by the way :

[global]
   workgroup = XXX
   guest account = nobody
   encrypt passwords = no
   keep alive = 30
   os level = 2
   security = user
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
;   hosts allow = 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
   name resolve order = host
   netbios name = CERBERE
   server string = %h (Samba %v)
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   client code page = 850
   character set = iso8859-1

; Please uncomment the following entry and replace the
; ip number and netmask with the correct numbers for
; your ethernet interface.
   interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
;   bind interfaces only = True

; If you want Samba to act as a wins server, please set
; 'wins support = yes'
   wins support = no

; If you want Samba to use an existing wins server,
; please uncomment the following line and replace
; the dummy with the wins server's ip number.
;   wins server = 192.168.1.1

[homes]
   comment = Trucspersos
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0700
   hide dot files = yes

...and other paths and printers.

--
Christophe

W2k access to local Linux through workgroup

Post by jfoa » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:43:40

The reg key for W2K is not the same as W98 or NT; be sure you have:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Param
eters
EnablePlainTextPassword=1
and don't forget to reboot after.

You don't need  a machine account if samba is not a PDC.

If you use encrypted passwd you need the file smbpasswd and add users in it
to connect.