SAMBA on SCO Openserver?

Post by Donovan R. Palm » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm volunteering some time for a charity that runs a SCO Openserver
box.  I'm looking at the possibility of running SAMBA on it for the
Win95 machines which access it.

Has anyone set up SAMBA under SCO and how difficult or not difficult
was it?  I've got a RedHat Linux box at home, but SAMBA came set up
pretty much by default.  I've tweaked it a bit, but I can't say that I
really installed it.

If you could e-mail me anything that would help me get on my way, I
would appreciate it.

A consideration is that this SCO box is on an on-demand ISDN router,
so whatever configuration I use, I have make sure that it doesn't
broadcast anything that brings up the link unncessarily and runs up
costs! ;-)

T.I.A.

SAMBA on SCO Openserver?

Post by Gary Quiri » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Has anyone set up SAMBA under SCO and how difficult or not difficult
>was it?  I've got a RedHat Linux box at home, but SAMBA came set up
>pretty much by default.  I've tweaked it a bit, but I can't say that I
>really installed it.

Samba and SCO work great.  I'm using Open Server 5 on five servers and
all have SAMBA installed.

On the SCO side you need to add two lines to:  /etc/inetd.conf
nb-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
nb-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd

These are the options I used to compile on Open Server 5
CC     = cc -Xc
FLAGSM = -DSCO -DSecureWare -DEVEREST -DUSE_MMAP
LIBSM  = -lprot -lcurses -lcrypt -lsocket -lPW -lm -lx -lc_s -lc

Gary Quiring

SAMBA on SCO Openserver?

Post by Max » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

:>Has anyone set up SAMBA under SCO and how difficult or not difficult
:>was it?  I've got a RedHat Linux box at home, but SAMBA came set up
:>pretty much by default.  I've tweaked it a bit, but I can't say that I
:>really installed it.

: Samba and SCO work great.  I'm using Open Server 5 on five servers and
: all have SAMBA installed.

Same here -- using SCO OS5.04c with latest Samba release on several
machines.

SAMBA on SCO Openserver?

Post by Bryan Tonn » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Same here -- using SCO OS5.04c with latest Samba release on several
>machines.

Just out of curiousity, why Samba when 5.0.4 comes with VisionFS by
default?  Is it a functionality/performance thing, or does it cost
for VisionFS?

--
Bryan Tonnet

SAMBA on SCO Openserver?

Post by Gary Quiri » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Just out of curiousity, why Samba when 5.0.4 comes with VisionFS by
>default?  Is it a functionality/performance thing, or does it cost
>for VisionFS?

SCO charges per user for their products.  Their Advanced File and
Print server software is too pricey.  Also tech support is expensive
and not very helpful for what they charge.

Gary Q

SAMBA on SCO Openserver?

Post by Samuel James Liddicot » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>>Just out of curiousity, why Samba when 5.0.4 comes with VisionFS by
>>default?  Is it a functionality/performance thing, or does it cost
>>for VisionFS?

>SCO charges per user for their products.  Their Advanced File and
>Print server software is too pricey.  Also tech support is expensive
>and not very helpful for what they charge.

Also, they don't support the DOS smb client, Samba does.

Sam Liddicott                   |   Nothing I say is to be attributed as |
Campbell Scientific Ltd.        | a company statement or representation. |
Campbell Park, 80 Hathern Road, *----------------------------------------+
Shepshed, Leic. United Kingdom. LE12 9AL        Phone: +44 (0) 1509 601141

1. samba/winbind installation problem on SCO OpenServer

I want to install samba 2.2.8a on my SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 to share disks
with centralized logon authentication on a WinNT4.0 PDC, but when i
launch ./configure i receive the message "checking whether to build
winbind... no, unsupported on sco3.2v5.0.5".
Then i tried with "./configure --with-winbind" and then launching make
but i receive this error:
Linking nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so
command line: warning: -h ignored when building a static executable
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
main                                /usr/ccs/lib/crt1.o
socket                              nsswitch/wb_common.po
connect                             nsswitch/wb_common.po
nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No
output wr
itten to nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Anyone can help me please?
Claudio

2. Any programs with streets for Toronto?

3. SAMBA binaries for SCO OpenServer 5.0.0

4. WANTED: VMS Mailserver

5. (How)Can I print to Win 9X PC printers from Samba on SCO OpenServer?

6. Problem installing vs7 on w2k professional german

7. SCO Openserver 5.05 and Samba

8. Samba 2.0.6/SCO Openserver 5.0.5 Problems

9. Samba 2.0.6/Sco Unix Openserver 5.0.5/Swat Problem

10. SAMBA on SCO Openserver 5

11. Samba on SCO Openserver 5.0.2

12. Samba/SCO Openserver 5 problems with large(ish) files