samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ??

Post by imbsys » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:25:29

OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks ..

A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC had to
be transplanted to a new location and the node was split over 2 subdomains. So
I thought : let's upgrade to RH 9 & samba 2.2.8a .. bummer

I tried a single nic system with a remote announce, a single nic with an
additional network alias (2 IP #) and at last a 2 nic system .. all present
the same problem. they won't let me join the domain !

Or I cannot find the domain getting the rror code that the domain is not
registered in DNS .. SOB why should a domain be registered anyway ? getting
all kinds of info on testing _ldap_stuff .. so do I need ldap on the samba
server ? the stupid XP client insists on trying to find the domain through DNS
. it is not there of course.

So I started fiddling with the lmhosts file on both client & host .. next step
but for no apparent reason I get a login screen when trying to join the
domain. When I enter the root ID & passwd for the linux server I nicely am
told "network path not found" .. well I've been turning rounds here .. If not
one error the  I get the other.

I've been reading and searching through what feels like a few million articles
on the net, nothing new turns up ie all what was written I tried it out + a
couple of 1000 other combinations .. super frustrating part : all the
diagnostic test work ok ie browsing & paths to server & client work ok, shares
are visible and accessible ... only that stupid joining domain fails ..

I'm totaly devoid of more ideas ?? any help available ? :-)
(need my smb.conf ?)

TIA

--
remove_clothes to answer over email

samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ??

Post by Mark » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:10:00

says...

Quote:> OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks ..

> A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC had to
> be transplanted to a new location and the node was split over 2 subdomains. So
> I thought : let's upgrade to RH 9 & samba 2.2.8a .. bummer

> I tried a single nic system with a remote announce, a single nic with an
> additional network alias (2 IP #) and at last a 2 nic system .. all present
> the same problem. they won't let me join the domain !

Please list exact error messages...generic messages do not mean a thing.

Quote:

> Or I cannot find the domain getting the rror code that the domain is not
> registered in DNS .. SOB why should a domain be registered anyway ? getting
> all kinds of info on testing _ldap_stuff .. so do I need ldap on the samba
> server ? the stupid XP client insists on trying to find the domain through DNS
> . it is not there of course.

If you are running a home or small business network, drop the ldap.
Quote:

> So I started fiddling with the lmhosts file on both client & host .. next step
> but for no apparent reason I get a login screen when trying to join the
> domain. When I enter the root ID & passwd for the linux server I nicely am
> told "network path not found" .. well I've been turning rounds here .. If not
> one error the  I get the other.

When you installed Redhat, you probably chose to install their firewall.
It blocks ports 137-139 by default. You will have to open these ports up
to allow smb communication.
Don't ask me how to do this as I do not use Redhat. Post a question in
the redhat newsgroups.

Quote:> I've been reading and searching through what feels like a few million articles
> on the net, nothing new turns up ie all what was written I tried it out + a
> couple of 1000 other combinations .. super frustrating part : all the
> diagnostic test work ok ie browsing & paths to server & client work ok, shares
> are visible and accessible ... only that stupid joining domain fails ..

See my webpage below for some help

Quote:> I'm totaly devoid of more ideas ?? any help available ? :-)
> (need my smb.conf ?)

> TIA

> --
> remove_clothes to answer over email

--
Regards,
Mark

samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ??

Post by imbsyso » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:07:51

> says...
> > OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks ..

> > A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC
had to
> > be transplanted to a new location and the node was split over 2
subdomains. So
> > I thought : let's upgrade to RH 9 & samba 2.2.8a .. bummer

> > I tried a single nic system with a remote announce, a single nic with an
> > additional network alias (2 IP #) and at last a 2 nic system .. all
present
> > the same problem. they won't let me join the domain !

> Please list exact error messages...generic messages do not mean a thing.

these so called generic messages were explained a bit just below these lines
.. :-)

Quote:

> > Or I cannot find the domain getting the rror code that the domain is not
> > registered in DNS ..
snip
> > domain. When I enter the root ID & passwd for the linux server I nicely
am
> > told "network path not found" .. well I've been turning rounds here ..
If not
> > one error the  I get the other.
> When you installed Redhat, you probably chose to install their firewall.
> It blocks ports 137-139 by default. You will have to open these ports up
> to allow smb communication.

this got me stuck for a day or 2 but I cured that underwhile ..

but with or without iptables .. the result is just the same ..

Quote:> > I've been reading and searching through what feels like a few million
articles
> > on the net, snip

> See my webpage below for some help

.. and that includes yr website too .. nothing there that I haven't or
hadn't tried before .. it is not curing anything ... :-(

thnx anyway :-)

1. I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC

Hi All,

Today I had a little break through in trying to get our XP laptops to
access the shares samba serves.

It was on a laptop where I had done lots of other fiddles, to the point
where the laptop was allowed to browse the workgroup HINWICK (finally)
but it would not see our samba server and even forcing a connection
would not work.

But then I wondered why there has nothing about plain passwords in XP
mentioned, so I had a look and there was 3 entries for
enableplaintextpassword all set to 0.

So I changed all 3 entries to 1 and restarted the laptop.

Blimey, when I browsed the workgroup HINWICK there was the samba
server!!!

So I logged of the laptop as Administrator and logged back on as guest,
tried to browse the workgroup HINWICK and was told I did not have
permission etc rubbish useless XP error comment that is worth rambling
on and on cos MS really annoyed me today.

I guess that the fiddles I did to the user Administrator did not carry
over to the user guest. I checked the reg and the 3
enableplaintextpassword entries where still 1.

Any comments on why this all happened?

M.
--
Mark Worsdall
https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LS79YHQ9VUGLJ

2. Palm Desktop Acting Strange

3. xp terribly slow on samba 2.2.7a PDC

4. MicroSoft..Printmig...BUG!!!

5. Problems logging into Samba PDC with Win XP

6. Stupid Question

7. SAMBA als PDC für XP und andere

8. Fixed IP for client via external NAS

9. XP login problems with Samba PDC

10. Samba PDC on RH 7.1, XP Pro Clients: Roaming profiles not working.

11. Win XP and Samba PDC

12. Windows XP and Samba 2.2.4 PDC (Can't find domain)

13. samba pdc with W2K and XP clients?