ksmbfs, Linux and Win95

Post by Bryan C. Ever » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm running the samba filesystem on my Linux 2.0.6 Intel machine and sharing a
drive "sourced" by my Windows 95 box.  Everything works just great except for
long filenames.

According to the documentation for ksmbfs, it should support LFN's if the
server supports the LANMAN2 protocol.

Is there any way I can get my long filenames over on the Linux box?

Please e-mail replies.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan C. Everly

1. Linux ksmbfs-0.2.4 patch for Win95 long filenames.

The following is a small patch to version 0.2.4 of the 'ksmbfs' filesystem
driver for Linux that allows it to properly recognize long filenames on
systems running Microsoft Windows 95.

I came up with this while setting up ksmbfs to allow a Linux box to back up
a number of PCs running Windows 95 as part of a nightly backup.  While
ksmbfs would mount to the PCs without any problem, the files on the PCs
would appear as translated 8.3 character filenames instead of Windows 95
long filenames.  Some further digging revealed that during the SMB protocol
negotiation sequence, Windows 95 would always select the "LANMAN1.0"
protocol out of the list of protocols that ksmbfs would offer to use.
Apparently, Win95 would only send long filenames if the NT LanManager
protocol ("NT LM 0.12") is used, which ksmbfs doesn't directly support.
However, ksmbfs does support the "LANMAN2" protocol, which the NT version
is based upon and also handles long filenames.

So, I made an addition to the table of supported protocols so that ksmbfs
will tell Windows 95 that it supports NT LanManager, but will actually use
LANMAN2 instead.

WARNING:  The following patch has not been thoroughly tested.  The standard
          disclaimers apply.  The version of ksmbfs I set this up for was
          version 0.2.4 compiled as a loadable module for Linix 1.2.13.  It
          seems to work for me, I can't promise it will do likewise for you.

-----Cut Here---------------------------------------------------------------
*** proc.c.orig Fri Jun 16 11:23:38 1995
--- proc.c      Thu Sep  7 16:42:34 1995
***************
*** 1532,1537 ****
--- 1532,1538 ----
  #endif
  #ifdef LANMAN2
            { PROTOCOL_LANMAN2,"LM1.2X002"},
+           { PROTOCOL_LANMAN2,"NT LM 0.12"},
  #endif
            {-1, NULL} };
        char dev[] = "A:";

--

alt.sex/alt.binaries.pictures.erotica/alt.sex.bestiality, etc.
At best, the regulars of these groups are failed phone sex customers...

2. Shut Down

3. LINUX -> WIN95 OK; WIN95 -> LINUX no chance

4. Libretto question

5. ksmbfs,smbfs + linux 1.2.13

6. IR to RF

7. linux ksmbfs and non 8.3 compliant names

8. Now or later?

9. ksmbfs - has anybody compiled it successfully on linux?

10. ksmbfs-Win95 performance problems

11. long file names with ksmbfs and Win95?

12. ksmbfs nad WIN95

13. ksmbfs w/ win95