Problems associated with long filenames held on Samba fileserver?

Problems associated with long filenames held on Samba fileserver?

Post by P.G. Colli » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:56:42

We use Samba 2.06 and 2.07, to support our Windows 95/98 desktop
service, particularly in our PC Laboratories.

Occasionally, problems arise which are specific to individual users -
and it is subsequently found that the HOME Share of the user contains
file(s) with odd names (e.g.. 250 characters with a variety of spaces
and quotes - or with a name which looks like a record from the files
with comma separated values for input into a spreadsheet.)   The
machines which hold the filestore for the users run SAMBA 2.07.

THE PROBLEM IS AVOIDED WHEN THE ODDLY NAMED FILES ARE RENAMED TO
SOMETHING MORE SENSIBLE.

Has anyone seen problems like these - and are there things which we can
do to avoid these situations?

Paul
--
Paul Collis                                Tel       +44 1782  583063/2
Applications Section Leader                Fax       +44 1782  584234

KEELE University, ENGLAND, ST5 5BG

Post by Mark Bratch » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:13:42

>We use Samba 2.06 and 2.07, to support our Windows 95/98 desktop
>service, particularly in our PC Laboratories.

>Occasionally, problems arise which are specific to individual users -
>and it is subsequently found that the HOME Share of the user contains
>file(s) with odd names (e.g.. 250 characters with a variety of spaces
>and quotes - or with a name which looks like a record from the files
>with comma separated values for input into a spreadsheet.)   The
>machines which hold the filestore for the users run SAMBA 2.07.

>THE PROBLEM IS AVOIDED WHEN THE ODDLY NAMED FILES ARE RENAMED TO
>SOMETHING MORE SENSIBLE.

>Has anyone seen problems like these - and are there things which we can
>do to avoid these situations?

>Paul
>--
>Paul Collis                                Tel       +44 1782  583063/2
>Applications Section Leader                Fax       +44 1782  584234

>KEELE University, ENGLAND, ST5 5BG

Paul,

I'm not understanding the cause-effect you're trying to describe.

Are you saying that certain problems arise and one of the _symptoms_
is that these odd long files appear? Or are you saying that users
purposely create these odd files, and this causes some kind of problem?
Or are you saying that these odd files appear with no cause,
and that _is_ the problem? If not, what _is_ the problem that you
are observing?

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

Post by P.G. Colli » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 02:22:11

> >We use Samba 2.06 and 2.07, to support our Windows 95/98 desktop
> >service, particularly in our PC Laboratories.

> >Occasionally, problems arise which are specific to individual users -
> >and it is subsequently found that the HOME Share of the user contains
> >file(s) with odd names (e.g.. 250 characters with a variety of spaces
> >and quotes - or with a name which looks like a record from the files
> >with comma separated values for input into a spreadsheet.)   The
> >machines which hold the filestore for the users run SAMBA 2.07.

> >THE PROBLEM IS AVOIDED WHEN THE ODDLY NAMED FILES ARE RENAMED TO
> >SOMETHING MORE SENSIBLE.

> >Has anyone seen problems like these - and are there things which we can
> >do to avoid these situations?

> >Paul
> Paul,

> I'm not understanding the cause-effect you're trying to describe.

> Are you saying that certain problems arise and one of the _symptoms_
> is that these odd long files appear? Or are you saying that users
> purposely create these odd files, and this causes some kind of problem?
> Or are you saying that these odd files appear with no cause,
> and that _is_ the problem? If not, what _is_ the problem that you
> are observing?

Thanks for the reply - sorry about my lack of clarity.

The symptoms are various - protection errors - very slow response from
programs which usually work quickly (including WIndows explorer).  I
wouldn't claim that it's always the case - but in 80% of the instances:

     the program is looking at the HOME share when the problem occurs,
     the HOME share contains a file which has a very odd, long
name(*),   and
     in the majority of cases the renaming or deletion of the file cures
the problem.

This has caused a problem in some classes - where an individual can't
get work done as it 'follows them round campus' - until the problem is
recified.  I'm unhappy to accept this as the cause of the problem but
what we are seeing must be more than just coincidence and it's the only
lead that I have at the moment.

(*) Since submitting the enquiry - we've identified the cause of the
very long filenames - so should be able to reduce the number of 'odd
filenames' that the students have.

Quote:> --
> Mark Bratcher
> To reply, remove both underscores (_) from my email name
> Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

--
Paul Collis                                Tel       +44 1782  583063/2
Applications Section Leader                Fax       +44 1782  584234

KEELE University, ENGLAND, ST5 5BG

1. Problem with NT4 / 16bit apps / long filenames & samba

With 1.9.16p11 trying to run

\\intran\swmaster\Microsoft\InstallShield\ISFreeEdition5\setup.exe

fails from NT4, but succeeds from Windows 95.
(On NT it fails with failed to find ..setup.exe needed by ..setup.exe)

Trying to run

\\intran\swmaster\Microsoft\InstallShield\ISFreeEdition5\DEMO32.EXE

succeeds on both Windows 95 and NT4.

The same problem apears when you use a similary named share from
windows 95, and try to run the program from NT4.

Also, if I rename the catalogs so that they follow 8.3 filenames
it works ok, but whatever name mangling options I try it still
fails.

Running with debug options reveal that the NT4 clients access the
file in a manner quite different from Windows 95 - it looks at the
attributes of the file (SMBgetattrE and SMBsetattrE), with errors
like this:

04/30/97 16:26:28 error packet at line 1068 cmd=45 (SMBopenX) eclass=1 ecode=2
04/30/97 16:26:34 error packet at line 108 cmd=45 (SMBopenX) eclass=2 ecode=4
04/30/97 16:26:34 error packet at line 3462 cmd=34 (SMBsetattrE) eclass=2 ecode=4
(let me know if you want debug files for both win95 and nt4)

I've browsed / searched the Samba mailing list archives with little
luck - there apears to be people with the same problem, but no
fixes that I could find.

Hopefully, you, brave reader of this, knows the solution or has
the patch for this problem! ;)

Erik

2. Need Help with Selection Algorithm

3. Preservation of short and long filenames in Windows 9x/et all with Samba

4. How to connect paypal website from my website !!!

5. Long filename problem in win2k

6. CPU Load

7. Does SAMBA support long filenames

8. Win95 long filenames not accepted by SAMBA under linux

9. Support in WFW3.11 to read true long filenames with Samba 1.9.13

10. Samba, WIN95 and long filenames?

11. Long Filename mangling problem after upgrade to 1.9.18p10

12. DOS and Samba and long filenames