nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Cynthia Lu » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

  I have a solaris7 sparc machine and I put the following lines at the end
of rc2 file.

 /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D

However, after the machine boots up, only smbd is running. I have tried to
start nmbd manually but still, nmbd just could not start. I have also tried
to re-install again and same thing happened! Anyone has any idea why it
happened and how to solve it? Thanks!

________________
Cynthia Lui

1-408-588-2000x133

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Mark Po » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>...after the machine boots up, only smbd is running. I have tried to
>start nmbd manually but still, nmbd just could not start. I have also tried
>to re-install again and same thing happened! Anyone has any idea why it
>happened and how to solve it? Thanks!

Have you tried looking at the log.nmb file?  On my system it's in /var/log/

Mark Post

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by jthomp.. » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am having the exact same problem.  I am really at a loss.  I have
samba working perfectly on another system.  If anyone can give ME a
hint as well I would be grateful.

Quote:>Hi,

>  I have a solaris7 sparc machine and I put the following lines at the end
>of rc2 file.

> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D

>However, after the machine boots up, only smbd is running. I have tried to
>start nmbd manually but still, nmbd just could not start. I have also tried
>to re-install again and same thing happened! Anyone has any idea why it
>happened and how to solve it? Thanks!

>________________
>Cynthia Lui

>1-408-588-2000x133

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Christian Kas » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

any outputs to the log file ???

Christian

> I am having the exact same problem.  I am really at a loss.  I have
> samba working perfectly on another system.  If anyone can give ME a
> hint as well I would be grateful.

> >Hi,

> >  I have a solaris7 sparc machine and I put the following lines at the end
> >of rc2 file.

> > /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
> > /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D

> >However, after the machine boots up, only smbd is running. I have tried to
> >start nmbd manually but still, nmbd just could not start. I have also tried
> >to re-install again and same thing happened! Anyone has any idea why it
> >happened and how to solve it? Thanks!

> >________________
> >Cynthia Lui

> >1-408-588-2000x133

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Karen Wre » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>>>Hi,

>>>  I have a solaris7 sparc machine and I put the following lines at the end
>>>of rc2 file.

>>> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
>>> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D

>>>However, after the machine boots up, only smbd is running. I have tried to
>>>start nmbd manually but still, nmbd just could not start. I have also tried
>>>to re-install again and same thing happened! Anyone has any idea why it
>>>happened and how to solve it? Thanks!

>> I am having the exact same problem.  I am really at a loss.  I have
>> samba working perfectly on another system.  If anyone can give ME a
>> hint as well I would be grateful.

Quote:> any outputs to the log file ???

Hello.

I'm running 2.0.6 from the 2.0.6-3 Mandrake RPM.  I can't speak for
anyone else, but when I get the problem of nmbd not starting, I get
the following in /var/log/samba/log.nmb:

[2000/03/31 19:14:27, 1] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(747)
  Netbios nameserver version 2.0.6 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1998
[2000/03/31 19:14:27, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(853)
  bind failed on port 137 socket_addr=192.168.3.1 (Cannot assign requested address)
[2000/03/31 19:14:27, 0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:make_subnet(142)
nmbd_subnetdb:make_subnet()
  Failed to open nmb socket on interface 192.168.1.1 for port 137.  Error was Cannot assign requested address
[2000/03/31 19:14:27, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(807)
  ERROR: Failed when creating subnet lists. Exiting.

192.168.1.1 is the address of the local machine on which nmbd is
running.

My searches through the archives at samba.org turned nothing up for
"Cannot assign requested address".  Can any of you wise samba gurus
out there shed more light on this error?  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

KW
--
  "We come and go alone, why do they need to know?"

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Peter van der Goe » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm certainly no guru, and this may be totally unrelated, but...
I had the same kind of problem with smbd until I went to the O'Reilly web
site and took advantage the book Using SAMBA, which you can read/download
*free*!
I followed the steps in the Fault Tree:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch09_02.html

to find out that I was unable to get smbd running because I was starting it
*twice* during bootup because of lines I added to my inetd.conf that were
unnecessary and redundant. Dunno if my experience relates to your problem,
but try the Fault Tree. It should help.

> I am having the exact same problem.  I am really at a loss.  I have
> samba working perfectly on another system.  If anyone can give ME a
> hint as well I would be grateful.

> >Hi,

> >  I have a solaris7 sparc machine and I put the following lines at the
end
> >of rc2 file.

> > /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
> > /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D

> >However, after the machine boots up, only smbd is running. I have tried
> >start nmbd manually but still, nmbd just could not start. I have also
tried
> >to re-install again and same thing happened! Anyone has any idea why it
> >happened and how to solve it? Thanks!

> >________________
> >Cynthia Lui

> >1-408-588-2000x133

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Karen Wre » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I followed the steps in the Fault Tree:

> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch09_02.html

> to find out that I was unable to get smbd running because I was starting it
> *twice* during bootup because of lines I added to my inetd.conf that were
> unnecessary and redundant.

Unfortunately for me, the problem I'm having is unrelated to inetd.
Has anyone else had nmbd fail to start with the "Cannot assign
requested address" error in their log.nmb?

KW
--
  "We come and go alone, why do they need to know?"

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by Shirish Kalel » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Are you sure you are starting nmbd just once? The samba install might have
already set up init scripts (check /etc/rc.d/rc3.d).

Shirish

> > I followed the steps in the Fault Tree:

> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch09_02.html

> > to find out that I was unable to get smbd running because I was starting
it
> > *twice* during bootup because of lines I added to my inetd.conf that
were
> > unnecessary and redundant.

> Unfortunately for me, the problem I'm having is unrelated to inetd.
> Has anyone else had nmbd fail to start with the "Cannot assign
> requested address" error in their log.nmb?

> KW
> --
>   "We come and go alone, why do they need to know?"

nmbd daemon could not start.

Post by kuns.. » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure my problem was the  same as what you're running in to, but
I had an nmbd daemon that also refused to start. Instead of following
the advice of the Newbie Help File (www.linuxnewbie.org) and using the
basic /etc/smb.conf file shown, I used SWAT to write my file.
Unknowingly, I entered both wins support = Yes, and wins server =
<server ip> ... this caused nmbd to abort. I removed the wins server
=<> line and nmbd can now be started either from SWAT or from the
command line. Hope this helps you!

Quote:> > Unfortunately for me, the problem I'm having is unrelated to inetd.
> > Has anyone else had nmbd fail to start with the "Cannot assign
> > requested address" error in their log.nmb?

> > KW
> > --
> >   "We come and go alone, why do they need to know?"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. smbd and nmbd daemons not starting

I am running samba on Red Hat 6.1 and trying to connect through an NT
4.0 network domain.

The startup file is there,  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb,  and everything works
fine when the daemons are running but whenever I reboot, the daemons
never restart.  I can start them manually via command line and
everything is fine.

Any ideas on why these don't start?

2. psiwin problems

3. Two nmbd daemons started??

4. ventura fonts

5. Samba nmbd daemon won't start

6. Changing DSL provides

7. nmbd starting as a daemon twice?

8. Macintosh browsers

9. My smbd ansd nmbd can not run as daemons!!

10. smbd daemon not starting

11. Samba daemon not starting

12. smbd daemon does not start

13. nmbd does not start anymore :-(