connect UNIX->PC->UNIX

Post by Michael Zelin » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I am currently using samba to share my UNIX disk space with my PC.  This
works phenomenal!  I can also mount drives from our remote site.  I dial
into our PC (Win95) server and mount a remote HP UNIX system
(which is also running samba) drive.  What I would like to do is actually
telnet to the remote HP-UNIX machine from my PC or,
better yet, my UNIX box that is local.  It seems like Samba should be able to
allow
this to happen.  Is anyone else out there doing this?

Thanks :)
Mike Zelina
(310) 796-6178

1. Printing NT w/s > NT srv > Unix > Lexmark

We are suffering from very slow printing. I think that the actual
printing itself is quick, but when Word opens a document or when the
print pop-up is requested it takes 5-10 minutes to appear and then, to
change printer takes a very long time. When the little printer
icon indicates that it is actually printing, the busy light on the
printer starts flashing almost immediately.

We have a number of NT4 workstations looked after by an NT4 PDC and
backup.  Our printers (HP and Lexmark) are driven from 2 Solaris 7
machines, one for HP and one for Lexmark.  The NT backup server looks
after the printers for the PCs and sends the requests to Solaris with
Samba 2.0.7.  The printer drivers are set up on the NT server, rather
than on each PC.  It is my impression that the slowness is when PC apps,
such as Word, ask for information about the printer. The printing on
the Solaris side works fine, including from smbclient.

When things are running slowly I can see lpstat being constatly run on
the Samba server, in response to requests coming over the net from the
NT server.  It is variable, sometimes the response is very fast and
lpstat is not to be seen running on the Samba server.

On the NT server it appears that the Lexmark software has been installed
to drive the printers (Markvision), along with the printer drivers
needed by the PCs.  Among the services running on the server is LexBce
which is closely coupled with the spooler.  (Stopping one, stops the
other)

I get the impression that the Lexmark software is being too clever
and getting in the way on the NT server.

Is the concept of using the NT server to supply the drivers, while
passing on the print request via Samba, ok? One down side is that
the print request is handled as administrator on the NT server,
which is then executed as the guest account on Solaris.

Thank you for any help or advice

Geoff Gibbs
--
UK-Human Genome Mapping Project-Resource Centre,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK

2. PE File Format...

3. <<< Unofficial SBS Contest>>>>>

4. NETWARE HELP

5. <<< Brisbane SBS Users Group Meeting >>>>>

6. Going Mad!!! - moving solids?

7. <<<<SBS news this week March 9, 2003>>>>>

8. HURRAY for CBM UK!

9. NT->UNIX->WWW? SMB or NFS?

10. Unix and Samba Password in sync (Unix -> Samba)

11. Permissions and UNIX <--> UNIX sharing via Samba

12. Printing problem (from UNIX->NT->Win95 server)