Samba won't use port 139 under Linux

Post by Jeff Grove » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm new to Samba and just compiled a version for Linux 1.3.15.

When I try to start Samba with "smbd -D", it fails with a "bind
error on port 139".  However, it seems to start fine on any
other port (like "smbd -D -p 3333").

If I do a "netstat -a", nothing else appears to be using port
139.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Please email responses, I may not be back to check this group
for a while.

Thanks.

---------------
Jeff Groves                        Tel: 602-705-9619
1739 East Broadway #311            Fax: 602-705-9620

---------------

Post by John Luc » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I'm new to Samba and just compiled a version for Linux 1.3.15.

>When I try to start Samba with "smbd -D", it fails with a "bind
>error on port 139".  However, it seems to start fine on any
>other port (like "smbd -D -p 3333").

>If I do a "netstat -a", nothing else appears to be using port
>139.

>Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Sure. By any chance are you attempting to run smbd from a non-root account?
Port numbers below 1024 are reserved and you need to be root to bind to them.

>Please email responses, I may not be back to check this group
>for a while.

>Thanks.

>--
>---------------
>Jeff Groves                        Tel: 602-705-9619
>1739 East Broadway #311            Fax: 602-705-9620

>---------------

| Academic Computing                   NIC Handle: JL423  |
| University of the * Islands        (809) 693-1216  |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802     http://www.veryComputer.com/|

1. Redirecting higher port to port 139 for SMB filesharing using Windows

Sorry for the crosspost, but I've got a problem and I'm not sure exactly where
it lies.  dFor a long time now I've been using Windows filesharing and Samba
to share files over the Internet, mounting Windows shares on my Linux PC using
smbmount.  But recently the cable company most of my customers use has started
filtering ports on non-commercial accounts, and among the ports they filter
are 135-139.  I thought it might be possible to install something on the
Windows machines to redirect a higher port like 8139 to port 139 to allow the
connection, and I've tried it with both Tera Term's "SSH Forwarding" and using
AnalogX Portmapper, but neither one works right.  I can telnet to port 8139
(and any other port I set up) and it connects me to port 139 fine, but when I
do:

smbmount //computer/share /share -o
username=whatever,password=whatever,port=8139

I get various errors.  With AnalogX Portmapper I get a timeout error, and with
Tera Term's forwarding I get:

tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
connect.)
SMB connection failed

I suspect that the problem is in the port redirection somehow, because it
still works fine when connecting to port 139.  But I can't tell for sure,
because the forwarding seems to work fine with a plain telnet connection.  But
I haven't been able to find any other programs to redirect ports.  Does
anybody know what to do to figure this out?  Any help would be appreciated,
thanks.

2. asp.net impersonation - Access is denied

3. port 139 blocked by provider, other port doens't function

4. splitting files

5. Samba & Linux: port 139 busy

6. !!!FREE ELECTRONIC MARKETING REPORT

7. Linux smbd -D dies with "bind failed on port 139" - nmbd OK

8. JOB - US-Austin-TX (Consulting) Software Testers

9. Port 139 linux address already in use

10. Hanging Port 139 on HP-UX 10 (Doesn't timeout)

11. How to configure SAMBA on a different port (other than 139)

12. Samba: Bind Failed on Port 139???

13. Samba, WinNt and Port 139