Novice SAMBA user has question on sharing...

Novice SAMBA user has question on sharing...

Post by Nicholas Floersc » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have installed SAMBA on my SGI Indy running Irix v5.3. There are a few
minor glitches I am still working out, but generally, I can see the
defined shares on the SGI from the Win95 machines on the network. My
question is, how do I setup the SGI to mount shares from the W95
computers? Mainly I would love to access the CD-ROM drives on the
network. How do I mount an SMB share on the windows network onto the
Irix File System (or any unix file system)? Do I need a special
piece of software to do this?

Please e-mail me responses, and thanks...

Nicholas Floersch

Novice SAMBA user has question on sharing...

Post by Andrew Perri » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

What you need is Sharity from http://www.obdev.at/

Good luck!
Andy Perrin

> I have installed SAMBA on my SGI Indy running Irix v5.3. There are a few
> minor glitches I am still working out, but generally, I can see the
> defined shares on the SGI from the Win95 machines on the network. My
> question is, how do I setup the SGI to mount shares from the W95
> computers? Mainly I would love to access the CD-ROM drives on the
> network. How do I mount an SMB share on the windows network onto the
> Irix File System (or any unix file system)? Do I need a special
> piece of software to do this?

> Please e-mail me responses, and thanks...

> Nicholas Floersch

255 S Rengstorff Ave #130, Mountain View, California 94040 USA
Phone:   650-938-4740 | http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~aperrin

SEIU1199---------------------------------------------------------

Post by Brian Servi » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have installed SAMBA on my SGI Indy running Irix v5.3. There are a few
> minor glitches I am still working out, but generally, I can see the
> defined shares on the SGI from the Win95 machines on the network. My
> question is, how do I setup the SGI to mount shares from the W95
> computers? Mainly I would love to access the CD-ROM drives on the
> network. How do I mount an SMB share on the windows network onto the
> Irix File System (or any unix file system)? Do I need a special
> piece of software to do this?

> Please e-mail me responses, and thanks...

> Nicholas Floersch

You want smbmount.

--
Brian
--

Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis

1. novice samba question

 I have three questions on samba:

1) Access is OK from NT4 PDC.  Access from BDC failed whenever PDC is also running.
NT4 keeps asking for user name/password.

2) Why does NT4 asks for username/password when I try to access the home serice on Samba?
Shouldn't NT4 just use the username/password of the current logged on user?

3) Why does NT4 ask for username/password for the guest services?

my samba config is as follw:

deadtime=15
interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24 192.168.1.1/24
security = user
guest account = nobody
wins support = yes
[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        read only = no
        public = yes
        browseable = yes
[tmp1]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /usr/tmp
        read only = no
        public = yes
        browseable = yes
        create mask = 777
[homes]
        writable = yes

Samba is samba-1.9.18p4. NT4 plain (no SP3), Linux 2.032, Redhat 5.0

Thanks

2. Free SNMP agent (PC platform)

3. a novice question - samba

4. How to use 'MaxFunEvals' in optimset? Want to know urgently!

5. Having trouble setting permissions for samba shared file system

6. Tech note 37 is it out there?

7. novice questions SBS/Exchange and Outlook98

8. Phisical width of screen0 width 80

9. Novice question

10. A novice questions.

11. Novice question on SMS

12. Cannot share with user share under 95 with Samba server...

13. samba user.map question -> user home directory not found