Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Post by Stef » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:57:07

Hello,

for a long time now we have the following Samba problem and I found no
solution so far anywhere:

we have a Unix Server (HP Tru64 v 5.0A) with Samba 2.2.4. Samba is configured
as a file server for Windows Clients only. We have serveral samba sahres,
which the Windows clients access.

The problem is that all Windows 2000 and XP see only fragments of the samba
shares (just a few files and folders of the whole sum of a few hundred files
and maybe 10 folders) but all the other Windows clients (Windows
95,95C,98,98SE,ME - NT4.0 we haven't tried) can see all the files and folders
in the Samba shares.

We need to ugrade all Windows clients to Windows XP some day, but because of
this Samba issue - we can't! We very urgently need to solve this problem.

I have included my smb.conf. We had the same problem with different older
versions of Samba on Unix AND Linux (Suse 7.1,8). We have already ugraded to
the newest Samba version several times because we were always asked to to so
to solve the problem. But this never solved it.

Maybe there is some malconfiguration in the smb.conf. Any help is greatly
appreciated!

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from eo11 (192.168.33.52)
# Date: 2003/06/04 14:20:40

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = LP19
        netbios name = SISDEC
        server string = Samba 2.2.4
        interfaces = 192.168.33.11/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        root directory = /
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 500
        announce version = 5.0
        keepalive = 30
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        os level = 64
        preferred master = False
        domain master = False
        kernel oplocks = No
        oplock break wait time = 10
        security mask = -1
        force security mode = -1
        directory security mask = -1
        force directory security mode = -1
        hosts allow = 192.168.33.
        strict sync = Yes
        sync always = Yes
        level2 oplocks = No

[homes]
        comment = Heimatverzeichnis
        read only = No
        create mask = 0750
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[files]
        comment = Verzeichnis Files
        path = /irw/echt/files
        guest ok = Yes
        veto oplock files = /hafa*.*/*.tmp/

[utils]
        comment = Import Export Data
        path = /mnt/inout/utils
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

[pub]
        comment = Import Export Data Automatic order processing
        path = /mnt/inout/pub
        read only = No
        create mask = 0660
        force create mode = 0660
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Post by Stefan Schmid » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:29:02

Hello,

thanks for answering!

Quote:> Are the files your 2K/XP clients can "see" different to others in terms of
> unix permissions?

I checked: yes, the unix permissions are different. The only folder and
files the W2K/XP clients can see are:

.tags (Directory. Permisions: drwx------ 2 root system
~0% (file. I can not see this file in Unix. Even as root)
quota.group (file. Permisions: -rw-r----- 1 root operator)
quota.user (file. Permissions: -rw-r----- 1 root operator)

All other files/folders that the Win95,98,ME clients can see have
permissions like this: -rw-rw-rw- 1 irwecht irwecht 138426 Jul 3 2001 WB4111

In another Samba Share on the same machine the W2K/XP clients can see all
files and folders correctly.

Quote:> Does the "visibility" of files depend upon the user
> actually logging on the client?

No. We have different W2K/XP clients with all different users and all users
experience the same problems on all those machines.

> > Hello,

> > for a long time now we have the following Samba problem and I found no
> > solution so far anywhere:

> > we have a Unix Server (HP Tru64 v 5.0A) with Samba 2.2.4. Samba is
configured
> > as a file server for Windows Clients only. We have serveral samba
sahres,
> > which the Windows clients access.

> > The problem is that all Windows 2000 and XP see only fragments of the
samba
> > shares (just a few files and folders of the whole sum of a few hundred
files
> > and maybe 10 folders) but all the other Windows clients (Windows
> > 95,95C,98,98SE,ME - NT4.0 we haven't tried) can see all the files and
folders
> > in the Samba shares.

> Are the files your 2K/XP clients can "see" different to others in terms of
> unix permissions? Does the "visibility" of files depend upon the user
> actually logging on the client?

> > # Samba config file created using SWAT
> > # from eo11 (192.168.33.52)
> > # Date: 2003/06/04 14:20:40

> > # Global parameters
> > [global]
> >         workgroup = LP19
> >         netbios name = SISDEC
> >         server string = Samba 2.2.4
> >         interfaces = 192.168.33.11/24
> >         encrypt passwords = Yes
> >         map to guest = Bad User
> >         root directory = /
> >         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >         max log size = 500
> >         announce version = 5.0
> >         keepalive = 30
> >         printcap name = /etc/printcap
> >         os level = 64
> >         preferred master = False
> >         domain master = False
> >         kernel oplocks = No
> >         oplock break wait time = 10
> >         security mask = -1
> Never heard about such a negative number mask parameter. How do the
> permissions of newly generated files look like?
> Why not use the default 777 or just nothing?

> >         force security mode = -1
> >         directory security mask = -1
> >         force directory security mode = -1

> Same ... or am I missing the invention of the warp drive?

> --
> WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected
penguin
> patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove
offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate/recertify all MS products, 3 days grace.
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Post by Walter Mautne » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 05:13:24

Quote:>> >         security mask = -1
>> Never heard about such a negative number mask parameter. How do the
>> permissions of newly generated files look like? Why not use the default
>> 777 or just nothing?

>> >         force security mode = -1
>> >         directory security mask = -1
>> >         force directory security mode = -1

>> Same ... or am I missing the invention of the warp drive?

Just interested ... what did you make insert negative numbers to these
parameters? I haven't found any documentation about the effects of this ...
--
WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate/recertify all MS products, 3 days grace.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Post by Stefan Schmid » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:06:42

Hello,

unfortunately someone else installed the Samba server. I don't know why this
person chose the strange values and I can not get this information. BUT: I
changed those values to the default that Samba provides, but this made no
changes to the problem.

Regards,
Stefan

Post by Walter Mautne » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 03:36:31

> Hello,

> unfortunately someone else installed the Samba server. I don't know why
> this person chose the strange values and I can not get this information.
> BUT: I changed those values to the default that Samba provides, but this
> made no changes to the problem.

Did you restart samba afterwards?
--

Post by Emil Petko » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:08:25

>>        security mask = -1

> Never heard about such a negative number mask parameter. How do the
> permissions of newly generated files look like?
> Why not use the default 777 or just nothing?

>>        force security mode = -1
>>        directory security mask = -1
>>        force directory security mode = -1

> Same ... or am I missing the invention of the warp drive?

It makes some sense. -1 is internally represented as a binary value with
al bits set. 777 is a mask with all bits set, i.e. it is possible that
-1 makes it for 777.

E.P.

Post by Walter Mautne » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:23:57

> >>        force security mode = -1
> >>        directory security mask = -1
> >>        force directory security mode = -1

> > Same ... or am I missing the invention of the warp drive?

> It makes some sense. -1 is internally represented as a binary value with
> al bits set. 777 is a mask with all bits set, i.e. it is possible that
> -1 makes it for 777.

Might be, but then - what about a mask with sticky bits?

Still confused,
Walter

Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Post by Stefan Schmid » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:53:10

Quote:> Did you restart samba afterwards?

Of course, I am using the swat configuration tool for making the changes and
restarting.

Regards

> > Hello,

> > unfortunately someone else installed the Samba server. I don't know why
> > this person chose the strange values and I can not get this information.
> > BUT: I changed those values to the default that Samba provides, but this
> > made no changes to the problem.

> Did you restart samba afterwards?
> --
> WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected
penguin
> patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove
offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate/recertify all MS products, 3 days grace.
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Windows XP,2000 Problem: Can not see complete Samba Shares

Post by Stefan Schmid » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:31:06

Hello,

I have found the reason for the problem doing some intense research.
There was a file in my Unix directory called "*" with 0 bytes. When I
removed it with rm '*' everything was fine and all files and folders showed
up at once in my Samba share.

Regards and thanks for your help,
Stefan Schmidt

Post by Walter Mautne » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:29:19

> Hello,

> I have found the reason for the problem doing some intense research.
> There was a file in my Unix directory called "*" with 0 bytes. When I
> removed it with rm '*' everything was fine and all files and folders showed
> up at once in my Samba share.

Oh, thanks for you providing the solution, finally. Looks like a cheap and
innocent (could be a typo ..) trick to impress your "best foe"? ;-)