Problems when setting drivers for existing printers on a Samba server from W2K

Problems when setting drivers for existing printers on a Samba server from W2K

Post by A. GUILLEV » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:58:42

Hello,

I've successfully setup a test server running Samba 2.2.3a to test
some printing features. As indicated in Samba documentation, I created
a share called [print$] to allow NT/W2K clients to download drivers
from my samba server. When I try to install driver on Samba server
from a NT 4.0 station, it works quite good, even if sometimes I got
some errors (probably something to do with the driver). However, if I
tries to install a driver from a Win2K station first, it doesn't work.
It will work if I first install the same driver from a Win NT 4.0
station. Do you have an idea of where it comes from ?

                               Thanks in advance.

Problems when setting drivers for existing printers on a Samba server from W2K

Post by franco_ » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:10:59

Probably is a strange behaviour due to the MSRPC protocols in W2K.
MSRPC is not documented so the Samba team wrote the code sniffing the data
on the network.

I confirm that if you install a driver from NT 4.0 the driver is downloaded
on the Samba server.

Pay attention to the spoolsv.exe process in W2K that consume too much cpu
cycles.

A solution can be to set:
preferred master = no
local master = no
domain master = no

Otherwise, Samba 2.0.x is working much better as print server

Quote:> Hello,

> I've successfully setup a test server running Samba 2.2.3a to test
> some printing features. As indicated in Samba documentation, I created
> a share called [print$] to allow NT/W2K clients to download drivers
> from my samba server. When I try to install driver on Samba server
> from a NT 4.0 station, it works quite good, even if sometimes I got
> some errors (probably something to do with the driver). However, if I
> tries to install a driver from a Win2K station first, it doesn't work.
> It will work if I first install the same driver from a Win NT 4.0
> station. Do you have an idea of where it comes from ?

>                                Thanks in advance.

1. download printer driver from samba box with server settings

I have installed a samba 2.2.3a from a Suse 8.0 distribution. I can
install printer drivers on the samba server from a w2k client and adjust
the device settings, like duplexer installed or not. installing the
printer drivers on a another client works fine with downloading the
drivers from the samba server. But the client does not enherit the
device settings from the server, so i have to adjust these settings on
every client.
Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks,
Marc

2. a good web cam site?

3. PRINTER DRIVER (SHARE) W2k Server shared to Win98 Client

4. Saving with different filename per iteration

5. Sharing my printer - need "additional drivers" for W2k server

6. How to reuse code in mobile forms?

7. How do I set up Printer Driver Files under Samba?

8. GOLD Parser version 1.0 Beta 18 released

9. HP 4000 printer PCL printer driver problem

10. printer driver: local vs remote (client vs samba server)

11. Printer Driver Settings

12. Win printer driver name for GhostScript driver

13. Errors setting up printer drivers in 2.2.0