nmbd not smegging working

Post by ftoomc » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:50:23

Dear all,
        I recently had a strange problem with my RedHat 9 installation. It went
like this: "/dev/null is a directory" when I tried to start most
services, so I'm thinking that some important important system file
mysteriously disappeared (or something bad happened anyway). It
(coincidentally?) happened as I was trying to create a new account for a
machine that waws to access smb shares.
        So I reinstalled everything but my /home partition and now my new nmbd
doesn't work at all (it seems to immediately go to background running,
but a quick 'ps -ef' shows that it's not running shortly after I tell it
to). I thought this very strange as I had reformatted the trouble
partitions before my fresh install. Anyway, it's a brand new copy of
samba, yet nmbd does not work in the slightest.]
        Anyone experienced the same sort of *before? Is it possible a rogue
windows machine on my network is being *? Any help/suggestions would
be nice. Ta!

Ben O'B

nmbd not smegging working

Post by Ben O'Brie » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:42:05

> Dear all,
>     I recently had a strange problem with my RedHat 9 installation. It
> went like this: "/dev/null is a directory" when I tried to start most
> services, so I'm thinking that some important important system file
> mysteriously disappeared (or something bad happened anyway). It
> (coincidentally?) happened as I was trying to create a new account for a
> machine that waws to access smb shares.
>     So I reinstalled everything but my /home partition and now my new
> nmbd doesn't work at all (it seems to immediately go to background
> running, but a quick 'ps -ef' shows that it's not running shortly after
> I tell it to). I thought this very strange as I had reformatted the
> trouble partitions before my fresh install. Anyway, it's a brand new
> copy of samba, yet nmbd does not work in the slightest.]
>     Anyone experienced the same sort of *before? Is it possible a
> rogue windows machine on my network is being *? Any help/suggestions
> would be nice. Ta!

> Ben O'B

forget it, i b idiot. derr.

1. Samba: nmbd doesn't work in inetd?

We set up Samba as a deamon and it worked just fine.  So we took the next
step and installed nmbd and smbd into /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf
as outlined in the documentation.  However, we now have trouble connecting
to shares (just homes for now).

We then started nmbd as a daemon again on the server.  Sure enough, we
can now connect to homes through that server (smbd is still in the inetd
configuration; actually _both_ smbd and nmbd are in there, just that I
don't think that nmbd gets tickled by inetd anymore).

Does this mean that nmbd won't work in the inetd tables or that we have
some obscure configuration issue going on here?

BTW - The samba server is SunOS 4.1.3 on a Sparc 10, and the clients are
      either WfWG or Windows NT.

Bill Prince   -   Tandem Computers

2. Can't define hotkeys in Macro5

3. nmbd quits working

4. Compaq Proliant 800 tape drive

5. NMBD won't work -- help requested

6. Greatest Atari 8-bit computer ever?

7. WINS (nmbd) failing to work across subnets

8. testing proportions

9. MSN Messenger not working on 98 but working on XP

10. Exchange not receiving external, internal email works and sending of email works

11. Outgoing mail is working day 1, and it is not working day 2

12. router web not working.email works and ftp

13. Sava As... Does Not Work, Drag/Drop Works