Does SAMBA server support long filenames ?

Does SAMBA server support long filenames ?

Post by Christopher Mile » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have an application for SAMBA, but having not used it I'm not sure of
the answer to the above.

The FAQ seems to indicate that SAMBA converts long filenames (ie. longer
than DOS's 8.3) to "strange" filenames, but we would wish to use NT
clients to access data from our Sparc and not have any kind of filename
conversion.

Cheers ... Chris
 _____ _       _      ____ _ _
|    _| |_ ___ _|___      |_| |___ ___
|   |_|   |  _| |_ -| | | | | | -_|_ -|   Frontline Distribution Ltd

Does SAMBA server support long filenames ?

Post by files.. » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an application for SAMBA, but having not used it I'm not sure of
>the answer to the above.

>The FAQ seems to indicate that SAMBA converts long filenames (ie. longer
>than DOS's 8.3) to "strange" filenames, but we would wish to use NT
>clients to access data from our Sparc and not have any kind of filename
>conversion.

  I'm currently using Samba to share files to OS/2 workstations from Linux
servers.  It does this job fairly well and does support long file names.  However
wildcards of the form *doc are not supported, I have to use *.doc.  This is
in Samba 1.9.14.  If 1.9.15 has fixed this deficiency then please let me know
and I'll install it.

   cya

Post by Jochen Eggema » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Does SAMBA server support long filenames ?
>Date: 23 Jan 1996 10:33:15 GMT

Stuff deleted ...

Quote:>  I'm currently using Samba to share files to OS/2 workstations from Linux
>servers.  It does this job fairly well and does support long file names.  However
>wildcards of the form *doc are not supported, I have to use *.doc.  This is
>in Samba 1.9.14.  If 1.9.15 has fixed this deficiency then please let me know
>and I'll install it.
>   cya

 This is not a bug in SAMBA, it is a feature in OS/2!

Jochen

Post by Geert Bos » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

`` I'm currently using Samba to share files to OS/2 workstations from Linux
   servers.  It does this job fairly well and does support long file names.
   However wildcards of the form *doc are not supported, I have to use *.doc.
   This is in Samba 1.9.14.  If 1.9.15 has fixed this deficiency then
   please let me know and I'll install it.''

I would advise you to install 1.9.15.p5 or later (current is p8 I think)
if you're using OS/2. In earlier versions Samba didn't behave properly
when OS/2 tried to use extended attributes. This resulted in problems
when using OS/2's WorkPlace Shell (WPS). As soon as Andrew got his OS/2
he fixed the problems!

Now I'm using Samba for a few months and being able to organize the
harddisk of my Sun using the OS/2 WPS and it works great! Since most
OS/2 programs know filenames like \\Server\The_Resource\...\The_File
I can even open documents while browsing through the resouces. You
don't even have to connect the drive!

So, don't miss all the fun and upgrade your Samba!

Greetings,
   Geert
--

 Phone: +31-53-4303054

Does SAMBA server support long filenames ?

Post by Georg Reich » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Datum...: 24.01.96
Betreff.: Re: Does SAMBA server support long filenames ?

j> >  I'm currently using Samba to share files to OS/2 workstations from Linux
j> >servers.  It does this job fairly well and does support long file names.
j> >However wildcards of the form *doc are not supported, I have to use *.doc.
j> > This is in Samba 1.9.14.  If 1.9.15 has fixed this deficiency then please
j> >let me know and I'll install it.
j>
j>  This is not a bug in SAMBA, it is a feature in OS/2!

I have tried with my Warp Connect and SAMBA 1.9.15p6 on a Linux host.
'dir *dll' and 'dir *.dll' result in the same output. So, how could it be
a OS/2 feature?

Ciao, Georg

sMail: Georg Reichel, Vossenbaeumchen 3, 41169 Moenchengladbach
## CrossPoint v3.1 R ##

1. Does SAMBA support long filenames

Hello,

I want to install samba on my suns and want to know is samba support
long file names, I want to backup my suns using NT backup.

Thanks in advance,

Eugene Bobin
Unix Sys Admin
Delcam Urals

P.S. If somebody knows good ftpmail server ( to send files over e-mail,
because I have no access to full internet services ), please let me know.

2. Object Desktop Pro vs Standard

3. Support in WFW3.11 to read true long filenames with Samba 1.9.13

4. Q: How to get Exabyte 8500 to write at low density on VMS?

5. DOS and Samba and long filenames

6. Brodie conference

7. long filename support ?

8. Interactive simulation

9. DOS long filename broken in 2.0.5 and 2.0.6?

10. Samba, Long filenames, Windows 95, LANMAN2 on server

11. unix filenames turned into DOS filenames??

12. Preservation of short and long filenames in Windows 9x/et all with Samba

13. Win95 long filenames not accepted by SAMBA under linux