OS X, Win XP and Samba--help!

Post by Hiawatha Bra » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:44:56

I can see my Windows shares on my Mac OS X running Samba.  But my XP box
can't see the Mac.  What am I to do?  Help!

OS X, Win XP and Samba--help!

Post by Matthias Bade » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:25:46

i really don't know  a lot about mac! but i know zjat there are big problems
between mac and windows. most people use linux (with samba) to share files
between windows and mac!
but you can try it in a mac newsgroup ???

matthias

Quote:> I can see my Windows shares on my Mac OS X running Samba.  But my XP box

Post by Paul Hallida » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:59:42

Quote:> I can see my Windows shares on my Mac OS X running Samba.  But my XP box
> can't see the Mac.  What am I to do?  Help!

You need to install a full Samba server. This will enable your OSX box to
serve SMB (Windows file sharing protocol) shares to your network.

Use http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml - it's freeware and open
source ... and works.

Regards,

Paul

OS X, Win XP and Samba--help!

Post by Davi » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 01:20:22

Quote:> I can see my Windows shares on my Mac OS X running Samba.  But my XP box
> can't see the Mac.  What am I to do?  Help!

Search this group using groups.google.com  Your question has been
answered multiple times.  Look for Samba Sharing.

Good luck!

David

OS X, Win XP and Samba--help!

Post by Missy Somebod » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 05:11:21

> I can see my Windows shares on my Mac OS X running Samba.  But my XP box
> can't see the Mac.  What am I to do?  Help!

My OS X, Samba, and W 98 all work exceptionally well together.  SMB
file sharing is all u need on the Mac side to see PC.  U need SAMBA for
PC to mount or see mac.  two thoughts:

1.  enable text passwords on PC (registry?)

2. XP has a built in firewall (I think?)  u need to understand it.  Not
a problem on 98

Hope this helped

--
Regards

OS X, Win XP and Samba--help!

Post by Thomas Bec » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 21:44:05

What you could do on your Mac is go to Settings -> Sharing -> File&Web and
activate FTP access.
Then on XP you can create a web folder using something like
ftp://192.168.0.2, save (Mac) user name and passwort, and then you can
access this user's file anytime from XP by going to Network places and
opening that folder. Works fine for me.