Errors setting up printer drivers in 2.2.0

Errors setting up printer drivers in 2.2.0

Post by Tony Grov » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:25:29

Hi, I am having the same problem,

I get the Printer drivers to install on the Linux machine so that NT can see
them, But when I restart the Linux machine it loses all the setting and NT
cannot see them any more.

If anyone has see this problem and has resolved it, Please Help

Tony.

Quote:> Per the updated PRINTER_DRIVER2.txt instructions, I have met the
> following conditions for my shared printer:

>  - added a share called [print$] with subdirectories W32X86 and WIN40

>  - ensured that root (as well as my day-to-day logon) are in the
> ntadmin group, and told smb.conf that ntadmin has write permissions to
> the [print$] share.

>  - logged on (from the NT workstation) as root to ensure that I am
> using uid 0 to access/modify the ntdrivers.tdb file

>  - set file permissions to the print$ directory (/pub/drivers) to 777
> (not necessary per the docs, but I'm getting desperate).

> When I log on as root and browse the printers folder, I can pull up
> the shared printer and it defaults to NO DRIVER AVAILABLE.  I then
> choose to change drivers, select the directory containing the drivers
> for that printer, and they copy into /pub/drivers/W32X86 correctly.
> But just before the process completes, NT says:
> Unable to change to the specified driver.  Original settings will be
> restored.

> log.mymachinename says:
> move_driver_to_download_area(1331)
> move_driver_to_download_area: unable to rename [W32X86/PCL5E6L.dll] to
> [W32X86/2/PCL5E6L.dll]

> There is a /2 subdirectory under W32X86, and it too has full
> read/write permissions for root (and others).  W32X86 does
> get populated with driver files from the source directory.

> Has anyone successfully been able to create printer drivers for a
> Samba shared printer under 2.2.0?  Can you see anything I'm obviously
> doing wrong here, or do you need more information?  Does anyone
> recognize that error message?  Help!

> So far a workaround is to add the printer locally in NT as LPT1, then
> NET USE LPT1 \\Myserver\HP6 (the printer share name).  But it means
> I have no queue control from the NT workstation... and I hate using
> a kludge when there's supposed to be a "right" solution!

> Any advice, pointers to documentation that I haven't read, or general
> ridicule will be cheerfully accepted here or via email.

> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY
> ----
> If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
> canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti*ts will be
> returned to your postmaster, eh!

1. download printer driver from samba box with server settings

I have installed a samba 2.2.3a from a Suse 8.0 distribution. I can
install printer drivers on the samba server from a w2k client and adjust
the device settings, like duplexer installed or not. installing the
printer drivers on a another client works fine with downloading the
drivers from the samba server. But the client does not enherit the
device settings from the server, so i have to adjust these settings on
every client.
Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks,
Marc

2. Seeking T-com Links/Web Resources

3. Printer Driver Settings

4. Vuescan 7.4.2 crashes in LINUX using 'advanced'

5. Problems when setting drivers for existing printers on a Samba server from W2K

6. Cross Assemblers

7. How do I set up Printer Driver Files under Samba?

8. Power Supply

9. Win printer driver name for GhostScript driver

10. printer driver setup error

11. HP 4000 printer PCL printer driver problem

12. Phonebook Settings disappear and I have to reinstall INS file

13. How do I get the UPS service set up?