browse problem with win&linux&samba

Post by u6060226 » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

ops wrote wrong..

Hi
I got an little problem with samba..
I'm on a LAN, my linux is on 10.1.101.69 and my windows client is on
192.168.1.2 and I want to access that everyone shares on the 10.1.101.***
net with my windows network icon...
I can access the things that I share with my linux using the browser in
windows and I can see every workgroups on the 10.1.101.*** net with the
network icon browser.. but I cant access them :((
What can I do about it??
please help me

//Tom

browse problem with win&linux&samba

Post by Jason A. Quijan » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am having the same kind of problem, if someone could answer this it
would be great.
Jason

Quote:> Hi
> I got an little problem with samba..
> I'm on a LAN, my linux is on 10.1.101.69 and my windows client is on
> 192.168.1.2 and I want to access that everyone shares on the 10.1.101.***
> net with my windows network icon...
> I can access the things that I share with my linux using the browser in
> windows and I can see every workgroups on the 10.1.101.*** net with the
> network icon browser.. but I cant access them :((
> What can I do about it??
> please help me

browse problem with win&linux&samba

Post by Jim Kneple » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Assuming I understand you problem correctly...

The Network Neighborhood does little more than display a list of computers
that it downloads from the current browse master.

A computer can become a browse master in two ways:
1.  It can be elected as the master in a strictly peer-to-peer environment
2.  It can be a primary or backup domain controller (usually NT, will always
win an election)

The browse request is done via broadcasts, so any system off of the local
subnet won't hear the request, and therefore won't respond.

Now it gets a little more complicated.

In a perfect world, according to Microsoft, each network will have a backup
domain controller that authenticates, does DHCP, etc.  Every BDC talks
directly to the PDC, and the PDC keeps track of the entire list of domains,
workgroups, and computers.

So:  in order to browse a remote subnet, you will need a BDC on that subnet,
as well as your own, with an optional PDC talking to both of them.

In "get it done" terms, you'll need two Samba servers, one for each
location.  Both are set to "domain master = yes" and have a "domain
controller = " line pointing to the other one.  If you want the weak-ass
WINS resolution as well as DNS, set one SMB box as a WINS server, then point
your Windows clients to it.

I hope that's what you were referring to.

Regards,
  Jim

Quote:>I am having the same kind of problem, if someone could answer this it
>would be great.
>> I got an little problem with samba..
>> I'm on a LAN, my linux is on 10.1.101.69 and my windows client is on
>> 192.168.1.2 and I want to access that everyone shares on the 10.1.101.***
>> net with my windows network icon...
>> I can access the things that I share with my linux using the browser in
>> windows and I can see every workgroups on the 10.1.101.*** net with the
>> network icon browser.. but I cant access them :((

1. browse problem with windows&linux&samba

Hi
I got an little problem with samba..
I'm on a LAN, my linux is on 10.1.101.69 and my windows client is on
192.168.1.2 and I want to access that everyone shares on the 10.1.101.***
net with my windows network icon...
I can access the things that I share with my linux using the browser in
windows and I can see every workgroups on the 10.1.101.*** net with the
network icon browser.. but I cant access them :((
What can I do about it??
please help me

//Tom

2. Virus on the ST

3. SAMBA & LINUX & WfWg 311 & TCPIP 32

4. Memory Allocation (Was: Re: Apple finally getting a clue?)

5. Strange problems: Linux smbfs & samba on Linux

6. Help: My emacs decode .gz files but not encode

7. How To: Authentication with Windows 2000 & Samba & Linux

8. change font size on the today screen

9. Linux & Samba & Pegasus Opera accounting software anyone done it?

10. Samba & Linux RH52 --- NT & Access

11. linux&samba&win95

12. Samba on Linux & WINS on NT

13. request timed out && not logged in && session request failed