Problem browsing in Win2k to RH 7.2 running samba

Problem browsing in Win2k to RH 7.2 running samba

Post by DKod » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 04:40:54

Here's the machine setup:
i am doing static IP's as i run services on the two main machines.

192.168.0.1
router

192.168.0.2
win.darcstar.com
windows 2000

192.168.0.3
redhat.darcstar.com
samba server
2 shares - public share(/home/apps/), and /home/username (depending on user
logging in)

192.168.0.4
server.darcstar.com
caldera openlinux
DNS server working correctly on this machine

Here's the public share in my smb.conf file:
[Applications]
   path = /home/apps
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

I was able to go to \\redhat.darcstar.com and see the following:
Printers
Applications
dkode (user logged in)

Although I do have 1 strange problem on the network i am not able to
explain:

I am able to ping everything from the windows machine. But I cannot ping the
windows machine from the redhat or caldera machine.
I can do nslookups all the way around and it seems to be working fine. I
think it might be a subnet issue but I have all subnets set to 255.255.255.0
so I don't beleive that would be the problem?

Thank you in advance!

1. XP and Samba 2.2.1a on RH 7.2 not working...

Hi there all you freindly Samba-wizards! :-)

I have the problem that I can't access my Samba services from WinXP! However
though I CAN se the Samba server next to the other SM workgroup pc's - but
clicking the Samba Server only gives me a dialog-box saying something like
(it's in danish - so I translated it) : "No service operating at
networkendpoint on the remote system"

All tests made with smbclient etc.. are working on the Linux.

However I cannot make an:

c:\nbtstat -A 192.168.1.10       (thats on the client towards the server)

See my smb.conf below:

Best regards
Jan

#======================= Global Settings =============================#
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = SM

   server string = Samba Server

   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

   security = user

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /tmp/samba/%m.log
   log level = 2

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

[jansdir]
   comment = Jan's service
   path = /home/jan
   valid users = jan
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

2. win2k can't register dns cache

3. tons of oplock errors [RH 7.2 + Samba 2.2.1a-4]

4. Compaq's lil' white lie

5. don't have etc/xinetd.d/swat file-RH 7.2

6. Signals and exceptions-patterns

7. win2k Professional + Samba in redhat 7.2

8. Win98 is Y2K compatible now, I betcha

9. SAMBA 2.2.3a on RedHat 7.2 as PDC for Win2k

10. Printing problems with RedHat 7.2 and Samba 2.2.3a

11. nmblookup (Samba 2.2.1a RedHat 7.2) can't find netbios names (newbie problem)

12. samba 2..2.3a + RedHat 7.2 = problems

13. RedHat 7.2 : Samba problem