strange share connection behavior

Post by James Hughe » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:25:09

I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm
sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty
carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really understand.
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.

This works:
net use t: \\<IP address>\tmp

This does not:
net use t: \\<servername>\tmp

The error returned looks like this:
<---snip--->
System error 1219 has occurred.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using
more
than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to
the
server or shared resource and try again..
</---snip--->

When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the <server
name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
properly.

I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
<---snip--->
New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

---
Disconnected           \\<server name>\james         Microsoft Windows
Network
Disconnected           \\<server name>\tmp           Microsoft Windows
Network
</---snip--->

It looks like XP is caching the connection goo, and somehow that is causing
the conflict, but even though the connection parameters look cached, I can't
can't connect through a straight UNC lookup, much less mounting a drive.

Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?

Thanks,
James Hughes

strange share connection behavior

Post by James Hughe » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:44:17

I also forgot to mention that this is a workgroup setup and _not_ a domain.

Quote:> I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm
> sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty
> carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
> I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really
understand.
> I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
> SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.

> This works:
> net use t: \\<IP address>\tmp

> This does not:
> net use t: \\<servername>\tmp

> The error returned looks like this:
> <---snip--->
> System error 1219 has occurred.

> Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,
using
> more
> than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections
> the
> server or shared resource and try again..
> </---snip--->

> When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the <server
> name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
> properly.

> I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
> <---snip--->
> New connections will be remembered.

> Status       Local     Remote                    Network

> ---
> Disconnected           \\<server name>\james         Microsoft Windows
> Network
> Disconnected           \\<server name>\tmp           Microsoft Windows
> Network
> </---snip--->

> It looks like XP is caching the connection goo, and somehow that is
causing
> the conflict, but even though the connection parameters look cached, I
can't
> can't connect through a straight UNC lookup, much less mounting a drive.

> Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?

> Thanks,
> James Hughes

strange share connection behavior

Post by Mark » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:10:25

says...
Quote:> I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm
> sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty
> carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
> I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really understand.
> I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
> SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.

> This works:
> net use t: \\<IP address>\tmp

> This does not:
> net use t: \\<servername>\tmp

Seeems like a DNS problem to me.
Can you ping the linux pc by name only?

Quote:

> The error returned looks like this:
> <---snip--->
> System error 1219 has occurred.

look here at the results
http://tinyurl.com/fkcr

Quote:

> Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using
> more
> than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to
> the
> server or shared resource and try again..
> </---snip--->

> When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the <server
> name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
> properly.

> I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
> <---snip--->
> New connections will be remembered.

> Status       Local     Remote                    Network

> ---
> Disconnected           \\<server name>\james         Microsoft Windows
> Network
> Disconnected           \\<server name>\tmp           Microsoft Windows
> Network
> </---snip--->

If you post for help, do not munge ip addresses, names etc.

Quote:

--
Regards,
Mark

strange share connection behavior

Post by James Hughe » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:09:34

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but the solution is to run a "net
use" (without parameters) and go through the output deleting all of the
cruft.
For example, a net use on my box gives me this:

Disconnected         \\enchilada\tmp            Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected         \\enchilada\james            Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected         \\boron\Movies            Microsoft Windows Network

Most of these connections were auto-generated by Windows XP. I think this is
a clue to the problem as XP tries to pre-populate your Network Places with
all the shares on the network. Trying to fire up a new mounted drive causes
some kind of conflict since XP thinks it has already transparently used your
credentials to log onto the "Disconnected" boxes. Hence, the error "Multiple
connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than
one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the
server or shared resource and try again.."

Of course... follow the directions. For once they are actually helpful.
Although the stated problem didn't initially make any sense to me, it was
actually accurate. Another triumph for Microsoft usability...

If you manually go through and do a

net use \\enchilada\tmp /DELETE
net use \\enchilada\james /DELETE

...so that all references to the server you are trying to connect to are
GONE when you type "net use", you can then mount a drive to that server,
connect by UNC, etc..

YUCK.

-James

> says...
> > I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8.
I'm
> > sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around
pretty
> > carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
> > I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really
understand.
> > I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
> > SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.

> > This works:
> > net use t: \\<IP address>\tmp

> > This does not:
> > net use t: \\<servername>\tmp
> Seeems like a DNS problem to me.
> Can you ping the linux pc by name only?

> > The error returned looks like this:
> > <---snip--->
> > System error 1219 has occurred.

> look here at the results
> http://tinyurl.com/fkcr

> > Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,
using
> > more
> > than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections
> > the
> > server or shared resource and try again..
> > </---snip--->

> > When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the
<server
> > name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
> > properly.

> > I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
> > <---snip--->
> > New connections will be remembered.

> > Status       Local     Remote                    Network

> > ---
> > Disconnected           \\<server name>\james         Microsoft Windows
> > Network
> > Disconnected           \\<server name>\tmp           Microsoft Windows
> > Network
> > </---snip--->

> If you post for help, do not munge ip addresses, names etc.

> > It looks like XP is caching the connection goo, and somehow that is
causing
> > the conflict, but even though the connection parameters look cached, I
can't
> > can't connect through a straight UNC lookup, much less mounting a drive.

> > Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?

> > Thanks,
> > James Hughes

> --
> Regards,
> Mark
> Samba Setup Guide
> www.samba.netfirms.com

1. XP-Pro CLients strange behaviour

Further to my earlier posts one of my new XP-pro clients, when switched on
and booted, with no user logged on, stops all shares to one of the other
XP-Pro clients, which happens to be acting as a file server.  It does not
affect the W2k machines.  One other thing, the microsoft active directroy
connector on the SBS box wasn't running, would this be a problem.  On the
fie server there are no records in the event log saying shares are not
working.
Advice on what could be wrong would be appreciated, I seem to having nothing
but trouble with XP on a s SBS network.
Thanks, Denis

2. DHCP

3. Strange mail behavior

4. iPad affecting hotel WiFi throughput

5. Strange behaviour.

6. Kerberos programs for the PC

7. Strange behaviour in faxing (address book)

8. Any interest in new PIC for RR501?

9. Strange behaviour of pop3-connector???

10. Strange behaviour of fax after upgrade.

11. Strange date behaviour

12. SBS - Strange Exchange Behaviour - Exchange rejects Emails

13. strange win 98 login behaviour