Public file share with no username/password?

Public file share with no username/password?

Post by Adam » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:45:49

Hi. I have a samba share setup on a unix machine (OpenBSD i386 v3.1).
The share is a public share available to everyone on the network and
does not require a username and password.

Presently the samba share always seem to prompt the client to enter a
username and password. Why? It shouldn't be asking for anything at all.
On Windows 2000 you just hit the Okay button on the dialog and
everything works fine. But on Windows '9x/XP it has the Okay button
grayed out and wants a username and password. I do not want it require a
username and password.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here's my configuration of this
specific Samba share. I'm using Samba v2.2.3a. Maybe I'm using the wrong
account www I dunno. BTW, I'm using security = user. This is required
because I have other shares that uses the user level security system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[storage]
    comment = Public File Storage Access
    path = /usr/files/storage
    public = yes
    writable = no
    read only = yes
    printable = no
    browsable = yes

1. Can username/password be encrypted for automount of samba share

I recently got both samba and automount working under RedHat 7.1.
However it allows username and passwords to be seen in my
/etc/auto.ferris file.  I am connecting to a Win2K computer with xxx
user added.  Is there a way to for automount to call on an encrypted
file or something for the username/password?  Here's a couple lines
from my /etc/auto.ferris

music   -fstype=smbfs,username=xxx,password=zzz    ://ferris/music
docs    -fstype=smbfs,username=xxx,password=zzz    ://ferris/docs

Thanks for any help!  - Mike

2. Why pay $200 + to be a beta tester? MS??

3. public share allows accounts access without password

4. How does sendmail know my domain name?

5. Public share requiring a password

6. WTB: 4mm DAT - 12/24gb DDS-3

7. accesiing public share and passwords

8. Creating public folder for shared files?

9. Readonly files in public shared dir

10. Files with mod 0440 in public share

11. W95 / Public shares / Private shares

12. List of files that are password protected on the shared drive?