Browsing: Samba server not always in browse list

Browsing: Samba server not always in browse list

Post by Ken Siml » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

    I've read all the docs, and various messages in this newsgroup, but I
still don't understand browsing, and browsing+Samba, well enough to figure
this one out.  Maybe someone can help.

    The basic problem is that I can get the Samba server to show up in the
browse list when one of the clients (a Win95 box) is not on, but when the
Win95 box is on, the Samba server won't show up unless I type \\server in
the box and press enter.  Here are the details.

    We have a small workgroup that includes 2 WFW machines, 1 Win95
machine, and an RS/6000 running Samba 1.9.16p2.  The WFW machines are using
the MS TCP/IP-32 3.11b stack.  The Win95 machine has a file share that
everyone can connect to, and only the WFW machines ever need to connect to
the Samba server.  The workgroup is located on two different subnets.  I'm
using one of the WFW machines that's on the same subnet as the Win95
machine, and a different subnet than the Samba server.  The IP addresses
look something like this (these aren't the real IP addresses):

Samba server    111.222.333.44
Win95           555.666.777.11
WFW1            555.666.777.12
WFW2            111.222.333.45

    As I mentioned above, when the Win95 box is on, the Samba server
doesn't come up in my (WFW1) File Manager browse list unless I type
\\server <Enter> in the Disk / Connect Network Drive / Path box.  If the
Win95 box is not on, the Samba server shows up in the browse list,
although sometimes it takes about a minute to get any response (whereas
the Win95 box usually pops up immediately on the list when it is on).  At
some point I was able to get both the Win95 box and the Samba server to
show up in the browse list, which is the ideal situation, but I haven't
been able to reproduce those conditions, so I can't begin to describe them
here.

    I have the following entries in smb.conf:

[global]
 os level = 34
 domain master = yes
 printing = aix
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 status = yes
 security = user
 workgroup = CFNPP
 guest account = ftp
 map archive = no
 auto services = [list of 3 auto services]
 wins support = yes

[homes]
 comment = Home directory of user
 guest ok = no
 writable = yes
 invalid users = [list of invalid userids]
 valid users = [set of userids]
 allow hosts = [set of IP addresses]
 create mask = 0744
 mangled map = (*.tar.gz *.tgz) (*.tar.Z *.taz)

[similar entries for other shares]

    On the WFW1 box I have the Samba server's IP address listed as the
Primary WINS server, and the Subnet Mask set to 255.255.255.0 (the 'normal'
subnet mask on our campus net).  WFW1, WFW2, and Win95 boxes are all set to
belong to the same workgroup, CFNPP.  WFW1 also has the following entries
set under the Advanced Setup options:

Enable DNS for Windows Name Resolution -- on
Enable LMHOSTS lookup -- on
Scope ID -- blank
Enable WINS Proxy Agent -- off

   I do not have the corresponding setup information available for the
Win95 machine, but can get it, especially if someone can give me the
specific information that I need to know that might help solve the problem.

    In c:\windows\lmhosts on WFW1 I have all 4 computers listed (Samba
server, Win95, WFW1, WFW2) as:
IP address     NetBIOS name   #PRE #DOM:domain name

On the Samba server I start nmbd with the -H option, pointing to an lmhosts
file that includes:

0.0.0.O         CFNPP G
555.666.777.11  Win95
555.666.777.12  WFW1
111.222.333.45  WFW2

    I hope I haven't left out any details needed to solve this problem,
although I probably have, since I suspect there's something I can set on
the Win95 box (besides the on/off switch, that is!) to make it stop
pre-empting the Samba server from showing up in the browse list on WFW1.

    FWIW, it is *not* important for the Win95 machine to have a functioning
browse list, as the user never gets out in the "Network Neighborhood"
(gag).

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Follow-ups to the newsgroup and

helpful email responses that are not posted I can summarize them and post
them here.

--
Ken Simler