Printing problem (from UNIX->NT->Win95 server)

Printing problem (from UNIX->NT->Win95 server)

Post by Guan-Hsong H » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi, there,

I am having a seemingly simple problem, and I hope I can find a simple
solution.  Ok, I have a few UNIX boxes (BSDI, HP) in a MS LAN Manager
network that has a mixture of WFW3.11, Win95 and NT.  The only
printers available at this moment are an HP LJ4 and an LJ4P, each
hooked up through their own Win95 print servers.  It was easy enough
to set it up so I can print text files through the printing service
(lpr?) on the NT servers, except that the print out all looks messed
up.  I tried replacing the LF (\012) by LF+CR (\012\015) or CR+LF and
various the combinations.  Nothing works.  A friend told me that there
need to be some additional code sent to the pinter to switch it from
one mode to another mode in order to print.  The problem is that I
cannot find the documentation for the printer.  Can someone tell me
how to do this, maybe someone from HP, or someone who dealt with this
before?

   I am also aware of Samba and I am prepred to install Samba when I
have a bit more time.   Meanwhile, I need to get simple text printing
to work.   It is very hard to do anything if even printinig a README
file requires an ftp :-(.   Any help is very much apprecited.

Intuition (n): an uncanny sixth sense which tells people that they are
        right, whether they are or not.

Post by Christoph P. Kukuli » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Did you use the smbprint utility script for printing? (excerpt:)
(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
#        echo translate
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        echo "print -"
        cat
) | /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient \\\\$server\\"$service" -d5 -N -P >> $logfile

: --

: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950619 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-1995

e:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386

1. Printing NT w/s > NT srv > Unix > Lexmark

We are suffering from very slow printing. I think that the actual
printing itself is quick, but when Word opens a document or when the
print pop-up is requested it takes 5-10 minutes to appear and then, to
change printer takes a very long time. When the little printer
icon indicates that it is actually printing, the busy light on the
printer starts flashing almost immediately.

We have a number of NT4 workstations looked after by an NT4 PDC and
backup.  Our printers (HP and Lexmark) are driven from 2 Solaris 7
machines, one for HP and one for Lexmark.  The NT backup server looks
after the printers for the PCs and sends the requests to Solaris with
Samba 2.0.7.  The printer drivers are set up on the NT server, rather
than on each PC.  It is my impression that the slowness is when PC apps,
such as Word, ask for information about the printer. The printing on
the Solaris side works fine, including from smbclient.

When things are running slowly I can see lpstat being constatly run on
the Samba server, in response to requests coming over the net from the
NT server.  It is variable, sometimes the response is very fast and
lpstat is not to be seen running on the Samba server.

On the NT server it appears that the Lexmark software has been installed
to drive the printers (Markvision), along with the printer drivers
needed by the PCs.  Among the services running on the server is LexBce
which is closely coupled with the spooler.  (Stopping one, stops the
other)

I get the impression that the Lexmark software is being too clever
and getting in the way on the NT server.

Is the concept of using the NT server to supply the drivers, while
passing on the print request via Samba, ok? One down side is that
the print request is handled as administrator on the NT server,
which is then executed as the guest account on Solaris.

Thank you for any help or advice

Geoff Gibbs
--
UK-Human Genome Mapping Project-Resource Centre,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK

2. Figures don't de-iconize under Solaris

3. nsf server <-- nfs mount --> samba server <--> nt server --> iss webserver

4. Discussion Web

5. <<< Unofficial SBS Contest>>>>>

6. Can't Find CD in Dos

7. <<< Brisbane SBS Users Group Meeting >>>>>

8. <<<<SBS news this week March 9, 2003>>>>>

9. <<< SPECIAL SMALL BIZ SERVER NEWS THIS WEEK - ACTION ITEM >>>>

10. unix -> Win95 -> printer.. Is it possible?

11. <<< Exchange Server Problems >>>