Remote NetBios name resolution

Post by Wictor » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:46:56

Hi, everybody

I wonder if there is any techique on fetching a SMB Servers NetBios name using
smbclient. The problem is beacouse a friends network is unable to do broadcasts
(i don't know why), and my friend doesn't use a wins server or something like that.
And I want to know this for further situation.

- Wictory

Post by Rob MacGrego » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:37:15

> Hi, everybody

> I wonder if there is any techique on fetching a SMB Servers NetBios name using
> smbclient. The problem is beacouse a friends network is unable to do broadcasts
> (i don't know why), and my friend doesn't use a wins server or something like that.
> And I want to know this for further situation.

Broadcasts don't pass routers, so you'll have to run a WINS server
somewhere.  Either put it on the local LAN, or tell all the clients what
it's remote IP is.

--
   Rob MacGregor (BOFH)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

1. netbios name = <name> ; netbios aliases = <name> problem...

hi all,

i have a samba server named X.  i would like to have the UNIX hostname remain
X, but i would like to offer the SMB shares as computer name Y (likely
something generic like FILESERV1 or something).  in reading the man pages i
should be able to use

netbios name = FILESERV1
netbios aliases = FILESERV1

in the smb.conf and have the \\FILESERV1 machine appear in my NT4 WS (sp6)
network neightbourhood.

this doesn't work (at least on my RH6.1 Samba 2.0.6 precompiled system and on
another Solaris 7 SPARC with compiled version of 2.0.7).  Can anyone help
solve this problem?

thanks in advance,
steve

2. container copying contents?

3. NetBIOS name resolution problem (I think)

4. Firewire on my Gateway Solo 9300

5. NetBIOS/WINS Name Resolution Problem (Solaris)

6. convert c to c++ ?

7. NetBIOS name resolution / Browser elections

8. Ethernet switching

9. Q: NetBIOS name resolution using DNS on Win95

10. win95 netbios name resolution

11. Cross-subnet NetBIOS name resolution possible?

12. win95 netbios name resolution

13. How does samba do netbios name resolution???